Join Early Retirement Today

Book report: DisneyWar
Old 10-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Book report: DisneyWar

Like many frustrated Disney serfs customers, I've traded the stock to get back some of my money. I'm ahead on the deal but of course the ride was definitely an "E" ticket. (You youngsters who don't recognize that reference can go here.) I traded a pretty big chunk of shares after 9/11 and sold out for a more profitable Berkshire Hathaway position, but I've enjoyed following the career of Michael Eisner. He's also known as the eighth dwarf-- Greedy.

DisneyWar was written by one of my favorite documentary authors, James Stewart*, who was encouraged by Eisner (much to his regret) to write his biography. It's an unprecedented look at a reclusive company that works very hard to keep its secrets, only to watch Eisner piss them away in litigation depositions with Jeffrey Katzenberg and then Michael Ovitz. For those who don't know the story, Eisner did great things during his first 10 years at Disney but, after Frank Wells' death removed his only stabilizing influence, started paying himself outrageous sums of Disney money to lose even bigger sums of investor's money. The book recounts Disney's history & Eisner's life and then sets the stage for Roy O. Disney & supporters to force Eisner to step down. Ironically even Eisner's early successes are mixed with startling failures-- like ditching the Disney interest in George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic division that eventually became Pixar. You already know how the stories end, so it's a lot of fun to read about Eisner ridiculing "The Little Mermaid" or enthusiastically buying a hockey team to rename it "The Mighty Ducks". Despite being 6'3" I think Eisner has the biggest Napoleonic complex since Bonaparte himself, although Eisner would insist that his Napoleonic complex is even bigger.

If you've ever held Disney shares or wondered about the company then the book is an entertaining read. If you hold Disney shares then you should read the book just to get an idea of the type of lying scumbag CEO that Bob Iger has become. And if you're even thinking about buying Disney for its fundamentals, please read the book and consider the fate of other companies that also had great fundamentals-- like Sunbeam or Tyco or Enron. Not even a Disney DVD can overcome this type of "leadership" and "management".

*James Stewart wrote a most excellent 9/11 book about Ric Rescorla, a hero of Vietnam's Ia Drang who went on to become head of security for a brokerage firm's offices in the World Trade Center. Rescorla saved hundreds during the evacuation of the buildings but didn't make it out. Stewart somehow recognized the name from Hal Moore's "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young" and wrote Rescorla's biography.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!