Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Book Review: AgeLess
Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Originally Posted by wab
If I stopped exercising for a couple weeks due to the flu or some other diversion, I found it hard to get back into the rhythm.
I can tell you from experience this past winter that is soooooo true. This past Dec I went thru some surgery which stopped my workouts completely for 8 weeks then I was allowed to slowly resume my workouts. It's been a difficult road and I don't think I'm back 100% yet, maybe it's age catching up with me but I'm not to happy about it.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Carrying around extra pounds is the quickest way to joint problems. The key is to get rid of the pounds without hurting yourself even more. Bikeing & walking are too good methods.
As for weight lifting... look how well ex-football players age. They get so fat, some of them don't even make it to 50.

dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Resistance training is boooooring. Between surfing & TKD I hardly ever find the time to push around a weight stack anymore. Vigorous yardwork, hauling home-improvement supplies, situps & pushups as part of a TKD workout-- no problem. Sitting down with a bunch of Nautilus or Universal equipment... well, there's too many other things I'd rather be doing.
This statement fits me pretty well but if you don't do some kind of resistance training you start losing muscle mass starting at about age 35. Although I do some traditional weight lifting occasionally I have started to do more "functional execises."

Many exercise/sports physiologists are supplementing and/or replacing traditional weight lifting with so called functional exercises.

A lot of the practice of traditional resistance training comes from the body building community. i.e. Focus on major, individual muscles with the intent to make them bigger. That is not the best way to train for sports or for life in general.

Functional exercises focus on multi-joint, multi-muscle actions that also incorporate stabilizer muscles and frequently incorporate balancing activities. This has real-life benefits that you don't get from "pumping iron."

How much I can bench and looking "buff" on the beach are secondary (really don't give a crap about them) to being able to run, bike, swim, kayak and roller blade faster, make it down the black diamond runs, run down my (former #1 singles player in HS) wife's shots on the tennis court, and hold off my 13 year old son in 1-on-1 b-ball for as many years as possible. (Don't surf, yet.)

The later activities are some of the things that contribute to my quality of life both now and hopefully for many years in the future. I think that functional exercises will help with that.

Some of the "Body Shaping" gym classes (you know that ones that women go to) are starting to do a good job of incorporating these exercises in their routines. Guys, don't laugh until you try it. Also, being sandwiched between two women in leotards is great motivation when the pecs, quads or what ever are starting to give out Similar to the swedish trainer effect I'm always sorer the day after doing one of these classes than after a round of weight lifting.

Outside magazine has had a couple of pretty good articles on this sort of thing. I think that some of them are on their web site.

Of course mowing the lawn, trimming the hedges, digging in the garden, etc. (ala the Karate Kid) may also by pretty good functional exercises but don't tell that to the DW

mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #24

Originally Posted by wab
You should write a book.

I don't get too excited by treadmills, either. I usually walk/run/bike outside. Your leg muscles are your biggest muscles, so use them if you want to burn calories. Then you can eat like a pig without becoming one.

Supposedly, the VO2max test is one of the better indicators of overall cardiac fitness. I don't think you can improve your O2 utilization just with more muscle mass, but I'm not an exercise physiologist....
I'm not an expert either, but I am in very good shape with about 15% bodyfat. I rarely do more than 20 minutes of cardio 2 or 3 x per week, unless I am on a long bike ride or take an extended walk on the beach. I could really care less about VO2max or anything like that. I just want to look good and feel good with the least amount of time involved.

Personally, I get the best results with body weight and self resistance training. Hindu Push ups, Pull ups and chin ups, hindu squats, self resistance etc... A very good book on the subject is "Pushing Yourself to Power" available on Amazon or you can go here -
and get the same information for free!!
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by dmpi
As for weight lifting... look how well ex-football players age. They get so fat, some of them don't even make it to 50.
I knew a few folks who used to be big time weightlifters. It wasn't pretty
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There's a distinction between "exercise" and "training"...
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #27
Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

44 pounds = 250% increase Good lord! I probably gained that much while in college, although the number slowly decreases weekly. Going from an an active lifestyle swimming almost two hours a day to sitting on my butt all day sure made for some drastic changes....As wab said, the key is sustainability, not instant results. I have made changes that I can live with, not merely tolerate for a few months.

Caloric restriction has been shown to increase lifespan quite a bit, although I would have to ask 'at what cost?' Eating is one of the great pleasures in life for me.... I love trying out new foods! It took awhile to scale down my eating once I got a desk job, but with a little willpower, it's possible.... like this morning for example- I passed on the free doughnuts and breakfast tacos, probably saving myself 4-500 cals in the process. I try and run every other day, and my Nike+ shoes have been keeping me honest I love 'em. Oh yeah, I also nixed the soda, although I will still drink something like Pepsi One, or a really good ginger brew/craft rootbeer every now and then (once a month?).

I don't blindly take herbals and such without doing some research (pubmed is a good place to start) on what is going into my body. Other than exercise, I also drink pomegranate juice, take about 2g of curcumin and 40k IUs of serrapeptase per day. Every now and then i'll take a multivitamin. Oh, I also drink tons of V8... I love the spicy kind.

Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote