Books that changed your life?

Stuart Little, a tale of the value of friendship. At the end, Stuard drives off looking for his bird friend ... forever.

Paschal's Pensees
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Crime & Punishment
Manchild in the Promise Land
Poisonwood Bible
Invisible Man
Your Blues Aint Like Mine

Last edited:
My name is Asher Lev - Potok. My first encounter with angst about honesty in art.

Travels With Charley, Adventures in America - Steinbeck. Elevating wanderlust to noble pursuit.

Travels with Charley is my all time favorite book ever! I have read everything Steinbeck wrote but that one I read again and again.

Believe it or not I think Rich Dad Poor Dad opened my eyes the most. The concept of cash flow was somewhat foriegn to me. As a whole I thought the book was ok but that cash flow section really hit home for some reason.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
Journey to Ixtlan - Carlos Casteneda
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Narnia Series - C. S. Lewis

Atlas Shrugged, which somehow turned me ever more liberal over the years. Go figure.
Gospel, by Wilton Barnhardt

Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. It was the first in a long series of books I've read during the last few decades that have changed my life for the better by changing my attitude about myself and the rest of the world.

The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need
Random Walk Down Wall Street
Atlas Shrugged
More Than Money
Millionaire Next Door

Your Money or Your Life
When Bad Things Happen to Good People

The Magus- John Fowles
The Moon and Sixpence- William Somerset Maugham
On the Road - Jack Kerouac

Retired Gypsy, that is actually the only one besides Your Money Or Your Life that I wanted to put on this thread.

I read Atlas Shrugged in my late teens, and it remains the most important book of my formative years. My paperback copy is still marked with corner folds, bits of paper, highlighter, underlined, etc. It is one of my most treasured possessions.

This book was the first time in my life I'd been exposed to the concept of a meritocracy. I know there are a lot of detractors to Rand, and I don't debate those concepts, but I can say that for me, the book was revolutionary.

Retired Gypsy, that is actually the only one besides Your Money Or Your Life that I wanted to put on this thread.

I read Atlas Shrugged in my late teens, and it remains the most important book of my formative years. My paperback copy is still marked with corner folds, bits of paper, highlighter, underlined, etc. It is one of my most treasured possessions.

This book was the first time in my life I'd been exposed to the concept of a meritocracy. I know there are a lot of detractors to Rand, and I don't debate those concepts, but I can say that for me, the book was revolutionary.

This mirrors my experience with reading Altas Shrugged. Did you know they are making a movie of it? Angelina Jolie is planned for the part of Dagney Taggard.

Atlas Shrugged (2009)

This mirrors my experience with reading Altas Shrugged. Did you know they are making a movie of it? Angelina Jolie is planned for the part of Dagney Taggard.

Atlas Shrugged (2009)

How very cool! I'm not a big movie person (although I can't wait for the new x-files movie to come out next month) but that is one I'd love to see. Angelina Jolie as Dagney...I can see that working...I think she's a pretty good actress.

So many listed already, so I'll take the relationship books that I found to provide me with a few "aha" moments:

In the Meantime, Inyala VanZant

Keys to the Kingdom, Alison Armstrong (I recommend this to my girlfriends who do not "get" men, and men who have trouble explaining themselves to their women who do not "get" them!)

You have to read it before you're 21.

I'm reading it now (thanks to this forum). Boy, that's a long book. I read about 10 pages or so a night before I go to sleep. I really get sleepy reading parts of it. Still haven't haven't reached the part about John Galt.

I bought the book...no way would the library let me keep one of theirs that long. I feel I am getting a good value for my money. At the rate I'm going, it may be the only book I buy this summer.:D

I always looked for coeds who read Ann Rand in college - I had this 'theory' that they were er ah 'more liberal'. Note that life was tough in my day - I think the odds were 7 to 2 male to female in 1963 at the old UW. Thank goodness for greater Seattle.

Language in Thought and Action by S. I. Hayakawa is the one that stuck in my mind over the years:

'the word is not the thing' or some such.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I always looked for coeds who read Ann Rand in college - I had this 'theory' that they were er ah 'more liberal'. Note that life was tough in my day - I think the odds were 7 to 2 male to female in 1963 at the old UW. Thank goodness for greater Seattle.
heh heh heh - :cool:
Now I know why DH was so interested in my, ahem, more liberal tendencies, after learning that we both had read it. He might have subscribed to the same newsletter as you, Unclemick. :angel:

Weather you’re a Randian or not, you might be amused to check out what Alan Greenspan has to say about Ayn Rand in his autobiography, "The Age of Turbulence." He met her through his first wife, attended her salons, and remained friends until Rand’s death.

BTY, there’s a cutsy title just (self ?) published called, "Don’t Bring Ayn Rand to a Gun Fight."

I am reading "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, and it is helping me through some very tough times, by helping me to change my way of thinking. I have had some very 'negative things happen to me, in the past three yrs, (See my post called 58 and scared) and I am trying to get "beyond" all my problems, but am having very difficult time. This book is helping me, one day at a time, to overcome alot of hurdles, but I can surely use some feedback, from nice people out there! Thanks!

Cuppa Joe, Love your Kitty! I have 5, but new (old) computer and have not been able to upload any pix yet!

There is a very nice book called "The World according to Julius" by MIchael Mountain (Best Friends Animal Society) It is "short and sweet!

Back
Top Bottom