Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So many listed already, so I'll take the relationship books that I found to provide me with a few "aha" moments:

In the Meantime, Inyala VanZant

Keys to the Kingdom, Alison Armstrong (I recommend this to my girlfriends who do not "get" men, and men who have trouble explaining themselves to their women who do not "get" them!)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
What's the big deal with Atlas Shrugged?
You have to read it before you're 21.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You have to read it before you're 21.
I'm reading it now (thanks to this forum). Boy, that's a long book. I read about 10 pages or so a night before I go to sleep. I really get sleepy reading parts of it. Still haven't haven't reached the part about John Galt.

I bought the book...no way would the library let me keep one of theirs that long. I feel I am getting a good value for my money. At the rate I'm going, it may be the only book I buy this summer.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always looked for coeds who read Ann Rand in college - I had this 'theory' that they were er ah 'more liberal'. Note that life was tough in my day - I think the odds were 7 to 2 male to female in 1963 at the old UW. Thank goodness for greater Seattle.

Language in Thought and Action by S. I. Hayakawa is the one that stuck in my mind over the years:

'the word is not the thing' or some such.

heh heh heh -
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I always looked for coeds who read Ann Rand in college - I had this 'theory' that they were er ah 'more liberal'. Note that life was tough in my day - I think the odds were 7 to 2 male to female in 1963 at the old UW. Thank goodness for greater Seattle.
heh heh heh -
Now I know why DH was so interested in my, ahem, more liberal tendencies, after learning that we both had read it. He might have subscribed to the same newsletter as you, Unclemick.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Weather you’re a Randian or not, you might be amused to check out what Alan Greenspan has to say about Ayn Rand in his autobiography, "The Age of Turbulence." He met her through his first wife, attended her salons, and remained friends until Rand’s death.

BTY, there’s a cutsy title just (self ?) published called, "Don’t Bring Ayn Rand to a Gun Fight."
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space (1994) is a non-fiction book by Carl Sagan
Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

I am reading "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne, and it is helping me through some very tough times, by helping me to change my way of thinking. I have had some very 'negative things happen to me, in the past three yrs, (See my post called 58 and scared) and I am trying to get "beyond" all my problems, but am having very difficult time. This book is helping me, one day at a time, to overcome alot of hurdles, but I can surely use some feedback, from nice people out there! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #49

Cuppa Joe, Love your Kitty! I have 5, but new (old) computer and have not been able to upload any pix yet!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #50

There is a very nice book called "The World according to Julius" by MIchael Mountain (Best Friends Animal Society) It is "short and sweet!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I read constantly, but the OP asked for a book that changed my life. That would probably be "Duane's Depressed" by Larry McMurtry.

I really enjoyed "When Genius Failed". Not life altering, but a very interesting read.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Heartburg View Post
Cuppa Joe, Love your Kitty! I have 5, but new (old) computer and have not been able to upload any pix yet!
Thanks, "Fluffy" will enjoy hearing that, Im afraid it will go right to her head. That was my first attempt at up-loading pix, got it after four tries. Been thinking about switching it for a shot of busy bees pollinating our state flower (indicating Im still w*rking) but once "Fluffy" gets pulled Ill be back at square one figuring out how to post photos.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

The first book that literally aligned my thinking on a spiritual path was
'Illusions' by Richard Bach.... it was a followup novel after Jonathan Livingston Seagull... Anyone remember that
Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #54

Yes, I loved JLS and Illusions and also liked One, another of Richard Bach's books. I think I even have an album of Jonathan Livingston Seagull somewhere.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos View Post
The first book that literally aligned my thinking on a spiritual path was
'Illusions' by Richard Bach.... it was a followup novel after Jonathan Livingston Seagull... Anyone remember that
I remember Jonathan Livingston Seagull - read it and loved it.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I remember Jonathan Livingston Seagull - read it and loved it.
Some books you just gotta LOVE...and another one that I LOVE so much that I
keep it by my bedside for over 10 years is 'THE GAME OF LIFE' by Florence Scovell Shinn. She wrote this book as well as a few companion pieces that are sometimes put together and sold in one volume...
I appreciate it because it's so 'thin' and easy reading... it changed my mindset from harboring anger and feeling rejected after a heartbreaking divorce.
Another surprising thing about this book is it was first published I believe in 1912. It must have been popular when my Grandma was young herself!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #57

It's interesting how many people mention Ayn Rand's books. They are on my list but I doubt any of my friends have heard of them.

Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
The Grapes of Wrath (and almost anything else by Steinbeck)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Welcome to the Monkey House -- Kurt Vonnegut
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- Ken Kesey
The Sot Weed Factor -- John Barth

and one for the Canucks here:

Justice Defiled -- Alan Young
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #58

I've been thinking hard about this and, while I read rather voraciously, it's the books that I read when I was 13-15 that stick out the most.

From that time period, the ones that stick out the most are:

Scewtape Letters
Out of the Silent Planet (can't remember if that's also the name of the trilogy or just the first book)
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451

Every 2 years or so, starting from when I was 8, I come back and read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. So I think that one sticks out rather well.

The earliest bedtime stories I remember are the Hobbit and then the Chronicles of Narnia series.

When I was 17 I read an amusing book on analyzing and understanding algorithms titled 'Compared to What?' It was our course book for one of my senior comp sci classes, but, unlike a lot of my course books, that one actually stuck with me.

I need to add Atlas Shrugged to my list of must-reads.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I've been thinking hard about this and, while I read rather voraciously, it's the books that I read when I was 13-15 that stick out the most....
I, too, can't settle on anything in particular, so from childhood:

The Boxcar Children and The Golden Quest

Later on, Les Miserables, maybe, but I don't think that any one book actually changed my life. I loved Dickens and Mark Twain, maybe because
classics convey universal truths and give ideas about how to survive, and Twain is so funny.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always read a lot and I have read most of the books mentioned in this thread, but no one book has changed my life more than a tiny bit. As a whole, reading has been the biggest influence on my thinking. Has anybody read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig? I probably read that book more times than any other. It has been maybe ten years since the last reading, so it might be time to read it again.