Join Early Retirement Today

Boomer Retirements Projections
Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boomer Retirements Projections

Never mind...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Guess I just like data & graphs...
Me Too!
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have come to think that slow news days cause journalists to reach far back into the storage closet in desperation & drag out the scapegoat, not :"the dog ate my homework" but "the boomers have caused, or will cause or failed to cause__________."

I can recall these main "financial" claims: 1] there will be a huge decline in residential re values, because the boomers have to sell their houses. 2] Nobody to buy all the financial instruments boomers cash in. 3] remodelling industry will soar because boomers all need special equipment and housing types. 4] Assisted living facility investment will boom because of boomers 5] boomers are hogging resources, or boomers don't have enough resources because they smoked too much dope, on and on....

Most of the time,IMO, there is a failure on the part of the writer to cast the net of observation wide enough to see a relevant picture. One thing for sure, people love to point the old finger.

I like graphs, too, where did you find them?
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There probably were a lot of people who would have retired during the downturn but held on to let their portfolios recover. Unfortunately, there were probably more who "retired" involuntarily during the same period and couldn't get back in the workforce.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wonder what the data source is for the "retirees". If it is SS claims then perhaps the growth is people who got laid off who were 62 or older, tried and could not find employment and decided to claim SS earlier than they would have otherwise.

I could see that the recession would have caused those on the edge and OMY syndrome to delay. I know I delayed my retirement about a year as a result of the recession.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
There probably were a lot of people who would have retired during the downturn but held on to let their portfolios recover. Unfortunately, there were probably more who "retired" involuntarily during the same period and couldn't get back in the workforce.
Great minds think alike - and hit the "Submit Reply" button at the same time too.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
And now that their portfolios have recovered, they'd have to pay 2/3 more for health insurance than they would have 4 years ago, so they feel stuck to their job for the Megacorp health insurance.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If it is just SS claimants, then the data is flawed IMO. It would not count many of us on these boards who ER'd.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder what the data source is for the "retirees". If it is SS claims then perhaps the growth is people who got laid off who were 62 or older, tried and could not find employment and decided to claim SS earlier than they would have otherwise.
That is also a factor that artificially depresses the published unemployment rate. People who want to still work but get discouraged and retire are not considered as unemployed but they are still a victim of the lousy job market.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - - probablly crashing portfolio values contributed greatly to the decrease in retirees in 2008-2009. Even federal retirees were fewer in 2008-2009, despite good job security. Imagine how many fewer retirees there would have been, had more lost their jobs! I read a really good article about the lower number of federal retirees in 2008-2009 which had numbers and graphs, and which of course I can't find. I'll substitute this one written in July of 2010.

News Articles: Tidal Wave of Federal Employee Retirements?

Quote:
Take a look at the nineteen years worth (FY1990 through FY2008) of retirement numbers. Notice how total retirements for FY08 were less than FY07, less than FY06, and less than FY05. For FY09, only the first two quarters are shown. They indicate the number of voluntary retirements in the first quarter of FY09 were fewer than any first quarter since FY04, while the second quarter retirements in FY09 were fewer than any second quarter since FY05.

Does the above sound to you like a “tidal wave” of retirements? I didn’t think so. But if there is no tidal wave, then why does OPM want us to believe otherwise?
Here are the numbers retiring each year, by year, straight from OPM:

Retirement Information and Services

In 2009, there were 87,906 retirees + W2R.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And now that their portfolios have recovered, they'd have to pay 2/3 more for health insurance than they would have 4 years ago, so they feel stuck to their job for the Megacorp health insurance.
personally, i didn't find that to be the case. i looked into a health plan just about 4 years ago and when i finally signed up for it was nowhere near a 2/3 increase. I have essentially zero health problems as a single 51 year old (knock on wood) which may have something (a lot?) to do with it. i guess i'm not sure what causes the big boosts people are seeing. pre-existing conditions ? older age ?
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #12

it seems there are certain points in the insurance industry like 60 and 65 years old when insurance takes a jump just because of the different age bracket. I also was one looking for part time work to fill my spare time, but with all the younger people looking for work, if you are over 60 you are less desirable and if there are 20 younger people applying for the same job you are out of luck.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
i guess i'm not sure what causes the big boosts people are seeing. pre-existing conditions ? older age ?
Here's an example: DW has pre-esixting conditions and signed up for an individual policy at age 57. Four years later the premium had increased by 70%. I'm a year older than she, have no pre-exisitng conditions and my premium increase over the same time period was 67%.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Never mind...
Me too!
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's an example: DW has pre-esixting conditions and signed up for an individual policy at age 57. Four years later the premium had increased by 70%. I'm a year older than she, have no pre-exisitng conditions and my premium increase over the same time period was 67%.
That's a phenomenon known as a "condition expectation" on the part of the Ins company.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
personally, i didn't find that to be the case. i looked into a health plan just about 4 years ago and when i finally signed up for it was nowhere near a 2/3 increase. I have essentially zero health problems as a single 51 year old (knock on wood) which may have something (a lot?) to do with it. i guess i'm not sure what causes the big boosts people are seeing. pre-existing conditions ? older age ?
I took a look at the rate sheet (a few years old) for our insurance plan. It gives the premium by age group and is broken down into 5 year groups starting at <25. Rebased to $100, it is

....< 25 $100
25 - 19 $125
30 - 34 $160
35 - 39 $205
40 - 44 $253
45 - 49 $325
50 - 54 $444
55 - 59 $579
60 - 64 $784

So, beginning with one's 50th birthday, the rate increases 37% just due to age. Same policy, same coverage. Two more 30%+ increases if one is fortunate enough to make it to medicare age.

You can tell this rate sheet is 4 years old because our current premium is more than double the one on the list but our plan is different. The deductible is $3.5K higher for each of us ($7K for the two of us).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Are those rates for one person or a couple? We're paying about $600 for the both of us in the 55-59 quintile.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are those rates for one person or a couple? We're paying about $600 for the both of us in the 55-59 quintile.
Per person. But these are old and have already more than doubled...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So if one was 55-59 it would be over $2k a month at today's prices? Ouch!!

I would probably not have ER'd at that cost. Florida rates I assume.