Boring Stuff [some] Older People Say

:LOL:

In my 20's and 30's, I'd roll my eyes at the things my parents would say. By the time I was in my 40's, I found myself saying the same things.

I do try to watch what I say when I'm visiting with my niece and nephew (they're in their 30's), but I know they have to take a break from me every once in a while to get in a good eye roll. They don't do it in front of me...it's either because they're too polite or they know they're in my will.

But I swear by all that's holy, I will never stop saying 'cool' or 'groovy'.

:rolleyes:

I didn't know saying cool wasn't so cool anymore. I've been told saying "awesome" makes me sound old...

Last edited:
I am very close to saying stuff like "a sack of potatoes used to cost $x.xx when I was in my 20's...", etc.

One thing I've noticed is that the very old people I know have a lot to say about weather. I've just noticed that lately. I should be careful when I start paying more attention to weather.

I am very close to saying stuff like "a sack of potatoes used to cost $x.xx when I was in my 20's...", etc.

One thing I've noticed is that the very old people I know have a lot to say about weather. I've just noticed that lately. I should be careful when I start paying more attention to weather.
Perhaps a discussion of elementary particles would be more entertaining? A lot of Quantum Mechanics was done in the 1920's so maybe that is too old fashion. :)

:)

I remember, as kids, our parents saying "I'll give you something to cry about"

Yea, when I made DM very mad she would say 'your a p*sspot', about 4 years old I jumped on the bed looked her in the eye and announced to her she was one. Ivory doesn't taste great.

MRG

Yea, when I made DM very mad she would say 'your a p*sspot', about 4 years old I jumped on the bed looked her in the eye and announced to her she was one. Ivory doesn't taste great. MRG

Ha! I also recall "where's my belt?". Good training for being around here (kidding).

:)

I remember, as kids, our parents saying "I'll give you something to cry about"
I remember that, also the belt one.

How about "if you think blah blah blah, then you have another thing coming"

"I've told you a thousand times not to climb in those trees. If you come crashing down and break your leg, don't come running to me!"

I always heard, 'better shape up or ship out'.

MRG

Yup, that was one of my dad's favorites. I always assumed it was left over from his navy days. Other oft-heard expressions while we were growing up:

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
Nobody said life was going to be fair.
The one who pays the piper calls the tune.
As long as you're living under my roof, you'll play by my rules.
Rise and shine - time to swab the decks. (Seriously - he REALLY missed the navy, and the poor guy ended up with three daughters for swabbies - if that's the right word).

The funny thing is, when I babysit for a six year old in the family (no kids of my own) I find myself saying "life isn't fair" and "my house, my rules.". My dad would be so proud!

Next thing you know I'll have that six year old swabbing the decks around here. :)

Oh Lord. That meant you spent the whole afternoon thinking (whatever you thought about).

It was very effective. My stepmother was a master of Terror 101. :(

Edited to add: Talking about basic spanking here, not actual abuse. Sounded a bit harsh.....

Last edited:
The funny thing is they were UP that early and ready to deal a spanking.
This is completely foreign to me. I got one spanking in my life, and it came from my mother.

I did get clobbered by the nuns, but this earned my enduring hatred, so I guess we were even on that.

I had some friends who did get spanked- mostly immigrants. My parents generation were more Spockiified. Being spanked would have had a bad effect on me, I am glad I didn't have to endure that, or to be embarrassed for my parents backward ways if they did that.

Ha

Ivory doesn't taste great.

MRG

Oh yes, I remember that!

Mom didn't use a belt, but a plastic hairbrush and that was an act of desperation when all other methods had failed. It didn't happen often. Well, not too often, but I was not an easy child to raise.

Once, I knew it was coming and put a softcover book in my pants as armor and when the hairbrush spanking started Mom didn't notice the different sound and I couldn't help but start laughing. Of course that didn't help at all and when the ruse was discovered the result was worse.

And one of her favorite quotes about kids was "The Lord made 'em cute so you wouldn't drown 'em".

My baby sitter was my Grandmother; her saying was "don't make me get the yardstick". If she did go for the yardstick I knew it was time to make myself scarce.

Another Pryor bit: "anyone here remember those switches? The ones you used to have to go get off the tree yourself?" "That's some psychology, to make you go get something to beat your own XXX with!"

Another Pryor bit: "anyone here remember those switches? The ones you used to have to go get off the tree yourself?" "That's some psychology, to make you go get something to beat your own XXX with!"
"And don't think you can come back with a tiny little switch. If I tried that my mom would go get the whole tree and beat me with it."

(Paraphrased--from Richard Pryor Live--a classic)

"And don't think you can come back with a tiny little switch. If I tried that my mom would go get the whole tree and beat me with it." (Paraphrased--from Richard Pryor Live--a classic)

YES! That whole show still breaks me up :D

Back
Top Bottom