Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Oh Lord. That meant you spent the whole afternoon thinking (whatever you thought about).
It was very effective. My stepmother was a master of Terror 101.

Edited to add: Talking about basic spanking here, not actual abuse. Sounded a bit harsh.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
it was very effective. My stepmother was a master of terror 101. edited to add: Talking about basic spanking here, not actual abuse. Sounded a bit harsh.....
where's my belt?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The funny thing is they were UP that early and ready to deal a spanking.
This is completely foreign to me. I got one spanking in my life, and it came from my mother.

I did get clobbered by the nuns, but this earned my enduring hatred, so I guess we were even on that.

I had some friends who did get spanked- mostly immigrants. My parents generation were more Spockiified. Being spanked would have had a bad effect on me, I am glad I didn't have to endure that, or to be embarrassed for my parents backward ways if they did that.

Ha
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We try to use the "walk uphill to school in the snow both ways" whenever we can.
I'm sure they roll their eyes at that with all that snow in SC.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ivory doesn't taste great.

MRG
Oh yes, I remember that!

Mom didn't use a belt, but a plastic hairbrush and that was an act of desperation when all other methods had failed. It didn't happen often. Well, not too often, but I was not an easy child to raise.

Once, I knew it was coming and put a softcover book in my pants as armor and when the hairbrush spanking started Mom didn't notice the different sound and I couldn't help but start laughing. Of course that didn't help at all and when the ruse was discovered the result was worse.

And one of her favorite quotes about kids was "The Lord made 'em cute so you wouldn't drown 'em".
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #46

My baby sitter was my Grandmother; her saying was "don't make me get the yardstick". If she did go for the yardstick I knew it was time to make myself scarce.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #47

Another Pryor bit: "anyone here remember those switches? The ones you used to have to go get off the tree yourself?" "That's some psychology, to make you go get something to beat your own XXX with!"

Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another Pryor bit: "anyone here remember those switches? The ones you used to have to go get off the tree yourself?" "That's some psychology, to make you go get something to beat your own XXX with!"
"And don't think you can come back with a tiny little switch. If I tried that my mom would go get the whole tree and beat me with it."

(Paraphrased--from Richard Pryor Live--a classic)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
"And don't think you can come back with a tiny little switch. If I tried that my mom would go get the whole tree and beat me with it." (Paraphrased--from Richard Pryor Live--a classic)
YES! That whole show still breaks me up

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
"Get a job"
To compound on this, I run in a circle of entrepreneurs, myself included, mostly with online, at home businesses.

"That's not a job, get a REAL job."
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Another Pryor bit: "anyone here remember those switches? The ones you used to have to go get off the tree yourself?"
My father only tried that once. I ran out to get the switch and kept on running thinking "I'm not that stupid!" Didn't come back until after dark and by then he'd cooled down about whatever it was.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

My father only tried that once. I ran out to get the switch and kept on running thinking "I'm not that stupid!" Didn't come back until after dark and by then he'd cooled down about whatever it was.
That was my dad's whole plan. Threaten to beat us so we'd clear out and stop doing whatever was going to earn us discipline. I like to say I was raised on threats. In a good way.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That was my dad's whole plan. Threaten to beat us so we'd clear out and stop doing whatever was going to earn us discipline. I like to say I was raised on threats. In a good way.
My dad used to take a razor strap to us kids. When he died only two of five kids showed up at his funeral. I had to go, as I was only 13. Otherwise, I would have skipped it, too.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I only got spanked once (ran out in the street when very little, Mom considered this spanking a necessary expedient). Other than that I got the "we love you, but we are very disappointed in what you've done" treatment. These talks were never short and I spent every minute feeling truly sorry about how I'd let them down. I'm sure this approach fails with some kids but it worked great on me. A quick spanking would have been a relief.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Mom used to say 'You're a pistol'. Never quite sure what she meant other than I was getting on her nerves.

MRG
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #56

When I was your age......
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #57

My parents (especially Mom) had no problem spanking us kids when we deserved it. And I deserved it a lot, being the only boy.

As a little kid, I used to roam around the grocery store when Mom went shopping. One day, I started pulling the shelf tags off the shelf. A store employee caught me, and we went and found Mom, and they told her what I'd done. She was horrified. Mom did NOT like to be embarrassed in public (she had kind of a "what would the neighbors think!" complex).

I'll never forget what she did next...she left the entire basket of groceries there, took me to the car, and we drove home. To be honest, I can't remember what happened after that. Probably a spanking followed by "just wait until your father gets home", followed by another spanking from him. But I remember that basket of groceries being left behind. She'd spent probably an hour shopping, that basket was full...and she just left it there to take me home. I think seeing her leave that basket behind was more terrifying than any spanking
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
But I remember that basket of groceries being left behind. She'd spent probably an hour shopping, that basket was full...
I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Till a kind Dr. told me I was probably agoraphobic. Now I shop off hours, haven't left a full cart at the cash register for many years.

One thing Dad used to say was, "Three kids, and Mom all we had was 3 cabbages to eat for 3 weeks and we were grateful for it". Then he would get mad. That was his childhood after his DF was killed in an accident in 1929. Really wish he'd of told me what that felt like, instead of getting mad. Him getting mad, made an impact, but how much more I could have learned. Maybe it was too painful to talk about. I'll never know.

MRG
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

But I swear by all that's holy, I will never stop saying 'cool' or 'groovy'.

+1 (I thought I was the only one!)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #60

My father used to say "children should be seen, but not heard". That was something he was told when he was young, I guess. It seemed to apply when we had company or were at someone else's house or were out someplace with other adults who were trying to have a conversation. Basically I think it meant "shut up, the adults are talking and you kids are making too much noise".

Tags
boring, cliches, generational, older people, speech patterns