Bought a new Photo Printer, Thanks for the Help........:)

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I ended up going with the Canon Pixma IP6700D. After reading the reviews on cnet.com and Amazon, and PCWorld.com, I felt this was the best value.

Most stores were around $185-$199 for it, but Amazon was running a special of $154.99....with FREE shipping............... :eek: :eek: :eek:

The main difference of the 6700 over the 6600 is the ability to use Bluetooth technology to transfer images to the printer..........not that I need it, but Bluetooth seems to be getting more prevalent.........

Thanks for all the input and help..........I think I made a good choice............. :)

Good deal. The financial info you get from this forum is great, but I love it even more for the depth of info available on just about every other subject.

One useful tip that I found when using the ip6600 that may apply to your machine. Photo paper comes in several different grades and types, and my printer came with a small package that contained a few sheets of the best grade paper. When you go buy more paper, you will find that it's expensive. For learning purposes I decided to buy the next best paper.

The printer software has an option to "tell" the printer what quality paper you are using. When I bought some of the cheaper paper to play with, I changed the print quality setting to reflect the grade of paper I was using. My images came out with a very noticeable reduction in quality. As an experiment, I changed the setting back to indicate I was using the very best grade of paper, but actually loaded the machine with the cheaper stuff. The quality is just as good as if I was using the best paper.

The only drawback might be that the superior grade paper will "hold" the image for a longer time. I don't know that to be the case as the images I printed are not old enough to be able to notice any differences. I dimly recall reading somewhere that the better the paper, the more ink it will hold - and the more ink it holds the longer it will retain the image clearly and crisply. By changing the setting I think I am just forcing the printer to apply more ink to the paper than it would normally. I do know that there is a lot of ink on my pictures and I have to let them sit for 24 hours before they are completely safe to handle without smearing or scratching them.

Back
Top Bottom