Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bought a new RV motorhome
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I'll post occasional updates as the "Griswolds" start their excellent adventure.
Dude! You totally forgot the wood paneling! NO family truckster is complete without it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats to you and your new baby. It certainly looks sweet. Enjoy your new adventures on the road. Safe and joyous travels to you.
After I finish with my overseas travels, I will probably get a small RV similar to yours. It would become my new home when I settle full time in the US.

MJ
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #23

Way cool Rich!!* *I am so jealous - that is what I'd buy if $ were no object.* *But you make such a good point about balancing enjoyment now with a few years later FIRE...

Hey,* if you decide it's not for you, can I be first in line to buy it from you??
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Way cool Rich!! I am so jealous - that is what I'd buy if $ were no object. But you make such a good point about balancing enjoyment now with a few years later FIRE...
Hey, if you decide it's not for you, can I be first in line to buy it from you??
Well, I do promise to give you a ride in it when we get to the PNW.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #25

It's a deal!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
Dude! You totally forgot the wood paneling! NO family truckster is complete without it.
Remind me not to smoke while I'm emptying the waste into the street .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #27

Rich,

What a beauty !!! I've been eyeballing that one myself. I'm still seven years out from retirement, so it's too soon to make the purchase, but I sure do think about it a lot.

I hope you keep us posted on your trips and what you think about the RV.

My one concern with it is vandalism. I don't think I'd want to park it at a trailhead and take off for a long hike.

Have fun !!!!!

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
My one concern with it is vandalism. I don't think I'd want to park it at a trailhead and take off for a long hike.
Although, not in the same price league, I feel the same way with my $1200 folding bike that I take with me everywhere. I am very paranoid about leaving it even chained up.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When it is my turn . . . a teardrop trailer . . . kit!

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

The only thing that will test a couple's sanity more severely than spending a few days in one of these is to wallpaper a bathroom together.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #30

What is the MSRP on that thing?? 8)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
What is the MSRP on that thing?? 8)
I knew you'd get enthusiastic when you saw the picture! Are you asking about the price for the trailer, the girl, or the dog?

Did you notice the groovy trap door that lets you use the chemical toilet inside? Nice!

They say you can build the trailer for $2000, and I think that includes some obligatory Grateful Dead albums to take on the road.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #32

Rich,

Can you give us an update ? Where have you been with this beauty ? What have you learned about his particular model ? How is the space for two people ?

I'm still dreaming of buying one of these. I'm thinking maybe I'll get mine a year or two before I retire so I can break it in before hitting the road for extended trips.

Also, do you have a retirement date set ?

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Can you give us an update ? Where have you been with this beauty ? What have you learned about his particular model ? How is the space for two people ?
It's perfect for our mission: long weekends to maybe a week at a time. Very high quality vehicle. We've been on a trip at least monthly - Charleston (where we visited McLesters and Astromeria), St. Augustine, a bunch of gorgeous state parks, and long weekends.

We are learning a lot about the "hobby" and about the vehicle. So much so that we are considering being part-timers if not full-timers in a larger RV when the time comes. Only thing we haven't quite gotten to the point we want it is the sleeping arrangement. It's a legitimate queen size, but that's wall-to-wall and we're trying different tricks to maximize our comfort.

We love it and use it often.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't get one myself, DW thinks a hotel without room service is roughing it! But some of my fondest memories was in the VW camper van conversion as a kid. This looks much more comfortable than the pop up top and the chemical toilet of my youth!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 AM   #35

Rich,

Secure the TV set and retract the awning before entering the highway. No further information needed... except that beach sand from the kids feet gets everywhere, and after a few days anything might happen
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

Secure the TV set and retract the awning before entering the highway. No further information needed... except that beach sand from the kids feet gets everywhere, and after a few days anything might happen

Kids long gone, TV well under control, and actually I find the awning gives a nice bit of lift over 70 mph.

Kidding aside, I found that it pays to rely on an informal check list I drew up. What you can easily forget may be important: turning the propane off, antenna down, etc. Easy to overlook til you make it part of your routine.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

drool...

Congrats -- hope to join you someday -- do keep us posted on your experience!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote