Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Bought a new RV motorhome
Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Bought a new RV motorhome

Well, for those who followed this saga a few weeks ago we decided to buy a new RV. Put down a deposit and will pick up on Saturday if all goes well. Lots of homework for something this expensive. Ultimately we felt it was an early cash-out of something we planned to do after FIRE, but which we wanted to enjoy sooner.

Chose a Great West Vans Spriner Legend Elite - it's a class B, diesel Dodge/Mercedes chassis, with all the fixins. Plan lots of 2-4 day outings in the region, the occasional cross country jaunt, rolling relief station for day trips to festivals, state fair, grand-kid schlepper when they visit. 24 mpg, sitting on the dealer's lot for 10 months, got it for about 80% of MSRP (decent price in this market).

The final factor in deciding to purchase: makes the perfect hurricane evacuation "survival pod." Keep it topped off, load the dog and some food, and off you go to high and dry land where you have no worries about motel vacancies, power outages, shelter, hygiene or comfort. Hope to never use it that way, but not a small benefit in these parts.

Clearly not a frugal decision but hopefully a very wise one from a QOL standpoint. Thanks to all who helped educate me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Bought a new RV motorhome
Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rich,
It looks like a nice vehicle, and it gets better mileage than I would have guessed. Did you get the roof-mounted AC unit?

I hope it suits your needs well and that you don't get a chance to use the "survival pod" mode.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Well, for those who followed this saga a few weeks ago we decided to buy a new RV. Put down a deposit and will pick up on Saturday if all goes well.
Ha Rich! I woujld have bet $ against donuts that you would buy. Your eagerness was coming across the miles.

Hope it is lots of fun for you and your wife.

Ha
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Ha Rich! I woujld have bet $ against donuts that you would buy. Your eagerness was coming across the miles.
Yeah - I was having a little fun with that. Pretty transparent . But I did learn a lot here, as always. Thanks for the good wishes. Following the quote in your signature line...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Rich,
It looks like a nice vehicle, and it gets better mileage than I would have guessed. Did you get the roof-mounted AC unit?
Yes, roof-mounted air for a total height of 9'3". It's a pretty compact package.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, what a nice ride. It has the shape of a large mini van.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

How I acquired wisdom the hard way. Rich, do not attempt to drive under an overpass that is 9'2". That is all I have to say, no explanation will be given.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And, if you are approaching a toll both and the passenger says "I don't think the mirrors will clear these posts" -- well, whatever you do, don't say "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be fine." If those words DO come out of your mouth, you'll hear them again at every family gathering.

Don't ask how I know.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich, A very nice looking ride.
Seems like a very sensible choice. Not too big not too small, would be just right for our needs...I'm thinking of scooting off to the state fair to look at RVs...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yes... looks like a great ride... you have got me interested with your first post... but it has been in my mind for a year or so...

I would like to get one of these small ones at first... and see how it does before buying one of those 30 to 40 ft. ones... but, I want to buy used... but have not seen any with my limited looking..

Have fun..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:30 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

That looks very nice and good MPG to boot. I can't imagine two people need any more than that unless you were going to live in it for extended periods of time. Then it might be tight unless you were on your honeymoon.

The balance between saving for retirement and living for today is always a tough one. I never regretted the trips we took even though it meant more years of work.
shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Very nice! Let us know how you like it over the next few months. I might buy something similar within the next 2 years. Have fun!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Rich, I am sure you will enjoy it. Like Ha, I would have bet money you would end up buying one. I suspect I will be sniffing around for one myself unless DW or I are seriously turned off by a visit to the dealer this fall.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Doc, I'm trying to think of something complimentary to say about your new ride but envy has given me writer’s block. I think it best that I pass on making any comment at this time.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas: "I would like to get one of these small ones at first... and see how it does before buying one of those 30 to 40 ft. ones."

I guess many buyers of this "Sprinter" diesel model and other Class B and C RVs are down-sizers from larger models. Salesman told us a typical pattern is to start with a small VW bus type when young, jump to a Class A with kids and peak income, then down to a luxury B or C after the nest is empty.

IntotheMystic: "Seems like a very sensible choice. Not too big not too small, would be just right for our needs...I'm thinking of scooting off to the state fair to look at RVs..."[/i]

Prices are similar (B and C). C's get you more space, not more features, at the cost of a bit less practicality, mileage, etc. We'll add a separate screen enclosure which attaches to the built-in roller awning so that should help us spread out a bit. But, we're novices so time will tell.

[i]Shorttimer: "The balance between saving for retirement and living for today is always a tough one."

Well, this probably did set back retirement for a year or two. Then again, it advanced by 3 years the time we can enjoy something we were going to wait on doing until after retirement. Trade-offs. Frankly, I was getting a little too focused on the FIRE goal, and maybe this will remind me about the importance of some balance both before and after retirement.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck, well built and what great fuel mileage. Enjoy life its too short!

Dave
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Rich,

I have been following your thread here and on RV.net. Congratulations on your new rig. I am sure you will enjoy it and will use it more than you think. We are still in the looking stages and will be for a while yet. We are leaning very heavily towards a 30 foot Class C because of the extra space but smaller size than a Class A.

Good luck with the new rig and enjoy your new toy. Sometimes you just need a new toy every once in a while. You cant' take it with you so why not have a few toys to keep life interesting.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a friend that has that same vehicle--he could not be happier. He never really took care of his cars/house etc - this RV is waxed inside and out---now he even does toilets! He gets better gas milage than my Jeep!
Good investment in your present and future travels
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!* You were so itching to buy one.* I hope you get lots of mileage out of it - pun intended.* You'll get to see how the "other half lives".

Speaking of mileage - that's a pretty amazing MPG number!* Way better than my tiny Jeep Liberty.

Now - go out and buy a separate set of dishes, linens, etc., for the RV.* You want to minimize the hassle of packing and unpacking the RV.* *I wouldn't keep food in it between trips, but everything else stays.

Corelle is pretty good and lightweight dishware for an RV.* Academy sells some pretty indestructible and very cheap yet substantial plasticware for flatware.* Paper plates are always good.* Campingworld has some good plastic/acrylic glassware.

Keep everything small - you have a small living space.* Appliances (toasters, coffee makers, etc.) can be a pain, because the US doesn't make really compact ones anymore, and you need to find the smallest possible.

Have fun!

Audrey

P.S. Silver River State Park has really nice campsites. It's just east of Ocala - so not a far trip for you. Just in case you needed a suggestion for a "shake down cruise".
Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Congrats! You were so itching to buy one. I hope you get lots of mileage out of it - pun intended. You'll get to see how the "other half lives"....Now - go out and buy a separate set of dishes, linens, etc., for the RV. You want to minimize the hassle of packing and unpacking the RV. I wouldn't keep food in it between trips, but everything else stays.
Audrey

P.S. Silver River State Park has really nice campsites. It's just east of Ocala - so not a far trip for you. Just in case you needed a suggestion for a "shake down cruise".
Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I'll post occasional updates as the "Griswolds" start their excellent adventure.