Join Early Retirement Today

Box Wine
Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Box Wine

In keeping with out economic "brown out" times, I thought I would start a thread on reviews of the better end of box wine. While I am not above the odd snort of "Trailer Park Mimosa" (Franzia and Tang), what mostly graces our house and (especially) camper fridge is the 3 liter smaller boxes of better wine in the box universe. We have sampled some Fish Eye (the Pinot Grigio is pretty good), Black Box, Bota Box, and more recently Silver Birch brands, it appears that better and better wine is being put in this packaging (NY Times reviewed a $90 box recently). We have found that boxes offer access to drinkable house wines for the equivalent of $5 a bottle (less on sale) and the wine stays pretty fresh for 3 weeks or so if fridged. The box is a hek of a lot lighter and voluminous than the equivalent 4 bottles of vino, so its a good choice on a camping trip.

With that in mind, I will offer a review of Silver Birch Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand), which I think I paid $20 for the equivalent of 4 bottles:

Grapefruit, peach, and lime in the nose with an undercurrent of hay and a touch of asparagus. In the palate there is lively acidity (would be great with seafood) with a melange of grapefruit, passionfruit, peach and hay. This wine is pretty bone dry and tart, which makes it a great match with cheese (goat cheese especially), seafood, and lighter chicken dishes. Recognizably a NZ Sauvignon Blac, but a bit less exuberant than a Kim CRawford and the like. Excellent value if you like the style.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Actually Target box wines are pretty nice . I was surprised. I also like Black box & Fish eye but I also find the Inglenook Chardonnay nicely drinkable .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a link to a post on this topic on my food blog. Poke around for more recent posts on make your own boxed wine, etc,

Because Better Exists: Wine in a Box that Rocks
kevink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Trader Joe's has a "flash buy" of a dry white Riesling that is just fantastic.. in a bottle (not a box) for $4.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have bought the Silver Birch sauvignon blanc mentioned by the OP and enjoyed it very much. I have also tried the Bota Box old vine zinfandel, a Spanish red called Seven, at least one of the Black Box wines. All good. I currently have a box of Turning Leaf pinot noir from CA (2009) open in the fridge which I would recommend. I pour some in a glass and let it stand for 10 minutes to take the chill off before drinking.

I cook a lot with wines and the box form makes it convenient for these uses as well as drinking.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Local stores offer Almaden and Franzia. Almaden costs a little more and the difference is worth it. I don't drink box wine "straight," but Almaden cabernet sauvignon makes killer sangria, especially when it's fresh out of the box.

Brewer, when I put my mind to it, I can often "get" many different flavors in cheaper wine - such as you described - but I'm never sure which ones were "meant" to be there and which were sort of an accident. For example, I often think I"m getting a faint taste of lawn grass in chardonnay. While I don't mind a touch of broad-leaved fescue in my wine, I'm not sure the winemakers really meant it to be in there!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
gone traveling

Franzia "Chillable Red" always in the fridge.

Cheap, OK (not good, but passable) from a state that does not allow wine sales in the local market. In PA, all sales of wine/liquor must be purchased from a state store, at increased prices over most of the rest of the country.

Not my favorite (which leads to a discussion of French wines), but passable in my day to day existence, as a simple red table wine.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We drink Bota reds often, perfectly passable and better than Almaden or Franzia IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote