Join Early Retirement Today

Box wine
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Box wine

Any recommendations on a quality box wine? it's been years since we've tried a box wine. In those days, only a few mega brands were on the shelves and the quality was not good. I'm thinking that there must be some brands that are pretty darn good now. We're interested in reds or blends. Cheers!

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Certainly no expert here.....but we drink mainly Black Box when drinking boxed wine. It has been somewhat hit-or-miss (moreso with their whites). Last week I bought their Malbec for the 1st time and really liked it. Have had their Pinot Noir several times and found it OK.

erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

black box isn't bad but bota box is way better
Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When traveling we tend to buy 3ltr. boxes, usually one of the familiar brands. I suspect that all of them are just buying whatever tank cars of wholesale plonk are on the market, though, as consistency IMO is poor.

At home, we buy 5ltr. boxes of Almaden Cab. Franzia bought that brand a few years ago and has positioned it as a bit upscale from its Franzia branded boxes. We find it tolerable and very consistent in taste.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
black box isn't bad but bota box is way better
+1.

Of course, a wine one person enjoys might be despised by the next person. But I too like Bota Box reds - Malbec being my favorite of those reds.

YMMV!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
+1.

Of course, a wine one person enjoys might be despised by the next person. But I too like Bota Box reds - Malbec being my favorite of those reds.

YMMV!
So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it) and buy another brand and test again. Don't do all this on the same day
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Don't chuck it! It will still be good for cooking, making mulled wine, degreasing the skillet, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy boxes of Badger Mountain because it's organic and drinkable and very reasonable. It probably doesn't qualify as 'good', but thought I'd mention it for those who prefer organic. It's the only boxed organic I see here in WA.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

I drank a whole bunch of Black Box wine back 5 - 8 years ago when my stomach did not mind me drinking wine. I preferred their reds and I thought it tasted good and was a lot less hassle and kept better than bottles.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

We found that Peter Vella box wine is better than either Franzia or Almaden IMO.
One advantage of box wine is when you go on a cruise and they Xray your luggage, they are looking for bottles.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We like Black Box cab and the Bota reds as well. Some others worth trying are La Vieille Ferme (both the Rouge and Rose) and Maipe Malbec.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #12

I was reading online yesterday about what a giant in the wine world Aldi is getting to be.

Winking Owl is their house brand and the last my wife bought was only $2.85 a bottle. And some of their no name more expensive wines are supposedly very good--for the amount spent.

That might be a source for inexpensive wine and an alternative to box wine.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

That might be a source for inexpensive wine and an alternative to box wine.
The thing I like about box wine is I can keep a 5 liter box in the fridge and it does not take up that much room. It is also easier to pack when we travel.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We rarely drink anything other than reds. We don't care for Franzia or Almaden. We usually buy Bota, but we've had Black Box and Fish Eye and they're fine too - when you don't want to break open something better. Don't recall another brand we've seen or tried.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We drink Bota.

Here's an experiment you might find interesting:

We were sure that the wine didn't taste good by the time we got to the bottom of the barrel box. More sour and bitter.

But in doing a blind taste test, with a new box and the last of the old box, we couldn't tell the difference.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
So true. Buy two different brands and see which one you like more. Finish the one you didn't like (or chuck it) and buy another brand and test again. Don't do all this on the same day
ah, the Scientific Method! I like it...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We were sure that the wine didn't taste good by the time we got to the bottom of the barrel box. More sour and bitter.

But in doing a blind taste test, with a new box and the last of the old box, we couldn't tell the difference.
I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

I have no idea whether that is true.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

I remove the bladder from the box and squeeze it out!
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygpen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

It’s supposed to be decent for 30-60 days after it’s opened, we keep ours in the fridge after opening and it always lasts at least 30 days (not sure we’ve had a box from open to empty more than 30 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botabox.com
It lasts and lasts.
Sure, it’s fancy but our state-of-the-art technology helps our wines last more than a month after opening. When we banish wine’s enemies – light and air – we let the flavors dance on and on.
And we always remove the bladder from the box when it seems to be empty, cut off a corner and drain it into a glass. You’d leave almost a whole glass if you don’t do this IME.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #20

Happy Drinking
https://www.reversewinesnob.com/search/label/box-wine/

And, yes, you should "remove the bladder from the box and squeeze it out".

https://en.vinex.market/articles/201...s_says_nielsen

davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote