Join Early Retirement Today

Boy Am I In The Doghouse...
Old 10-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boy Am I In The Doghouse...

Downloaded some new music to iTunes today, and plugged DW's iPad in to iTunes on the PC to update her music. That's how music has been updated to her iPad for years.

Today when I plugged in her iPad, it restored her iPad - to a previous copy of MY iPad. She ended up with apps she didn't want and her contacts, calendar, messages, emails, photos and reminders were either empty or mine. Understandably she's none too happy.

After hours of work, I finally got iCloud to restore her contacts, emails and (she says most of) her calendar. Her reminders are still only on her iPhone (blank on her iPad) and she still has my photos and messages, though they're intact on her iPhone. We have all those features "ON" on her iPhone and iPad, but some are syncing and others not

I don't blame her, I sure hope I can figure out how to fully restore her iPad. And I sure wish I knew why iTunes decided to restore her iPad to an old copy of mine after all these years - whether it's something I did wrong/different or not.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have a more recent backup of her iPad on the computer? Or on another computer?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Do you have a more recent backup of her iPad on the computer? Or on another computer?
Nope. Even though I've plugged her iPad into iTunes and it synced all music to her many times before, we I look at devices, there's only my PC, my iPhone and my iPad. There's no trace of hers (now).

We wanted to put iTunes on her laptop, to backup her devices to, but we assume we can't have "my" music library on her copy of iTunes. Obviously we're not going to pay for two copies of over 2500 songs.

We also have an old iPod that we use for music only occasionally, I'm afraid to plug it in to iTunes now for fear it will wipe that out too...

Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

Clearly a situation that Apple support should be called in on.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #5

if they are newer models of iphones and ipads you can just reset the ipad and then have it sync directly with the iphone through icloud via wifi. Don't even have to plug them into itunes. Basically the iphone will clone whatever is on it to the ipad. By resetting ipad you'll get your stuff off.

Just did this with an iphone 6 and a new iphone 11. Everything on the 6 was loaded onto the 11 including ring tones, notification tones, all music, apps etc. See instructions below:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-you-ne...o-ipad-1999222
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
if they are newer models of iphones and ipads you can just reset the ipad and then have it sync directly with the iphone through icloud via wifi. Don't even have to plug them into itunes. Basically the iphone will clone whatever is on it to the ipad. By resetting ipad you'll get your stuff off.

Just did this with an iphone 6 and a new iphone 11. Everything on the 6 was loaded onto the 11 including ring tones, notification tones, all music, apps etc. See instructions below:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-you-ne...o-ipad-1999222
Thanks! You’re the second source to tell me that, and that’s what I am leaning toward to do next. But I’m going to let DW make that decision on her time. She’s understandably conflicted now that she has some of her content back, but not all. Losing some of her photos is hard to take (most were on her iPhone but not all she tells me).

Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Sorry to see another iTunes victim. In my experience iTunes is overly aggressive deciding what you should and should not have on your device.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

My condolences to your DW from a fellow sufferer.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

Head into the Apple Techs or whatever they call those people that work in the store. Full Disclosure I own AAPL. But I do not own an AAPL product nor have I ever been in a store...I have USED them for work on occasion tho and DW has an iPhone and had an ipod until it died.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Head into the Apple Techs or whatever they call those people that work in the store. Full Disclosure I own AAPL. But I do not own an AAPL product nor have I ever been in a store...I have USED them for work on occasion tho and DW has an iPhone and had an ipod until it died.
They call it the "Genius Bar", and by implication, the techs who work there are "geniuses". In my experience, that is an overly optomistic self-assessment.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Sorry to see another iTunes victim. In my experience iTunes is overly aggressive deciding what you should and should not have on your device.
I’ve used iTunes for over 15 years and this is the first significant issue. It’s being replaced after 18 years, presumably the replacements will be an improvement.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I did something similar a few years back. I like iPhones and iPads but I hate iTunes and Apple's files "system."
Old 10-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I did something similar a few years back. I like iPhones and iPads but I hate iTunes and Apple's files "system."
You may know, but Apple files aren’t as walled off as they used to be. You can see and organize files and folders now. FWIW

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481

Old 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You may know, but Apple files aren’t as walled off as they used to be. You can see and organize files and folders now. FWIW

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481
Maybe I don't understand how it works. I see some acrobat files but that's it. I can't see anything that is managed by other apps like books and photos. I am aware that I can now (finally) access photos from a PC via usb.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

Regarding the reminders, if you have more than one iOS or ipadOS device they sync with, once you upgrade one of the devices to iOS 13 the reminders app will no longer be compatible with older versions. You didn't mention what version(s) you're on so I'm not sure if this is relevant.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And I sure wish I knew why iTunes decided to restore her iPad to an old copy of mine after all these years - whether it's something I did wrong/different or not.

Because Apple knows what you want better than you do.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #17

Apple has discontinued iTunes. I'm not sure that's what caused the problem, but it may be!

Here's Apple's support page on the subject:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200
Old 10-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

DW finally got so fed up with fighting her iPad that she let me do a full factory reset after making sure her iPhone was current on iCloud. And I was getting messages on my iPhone someone was tampering with my account, undoubtedly from (what was) her iPad.

I’m pleased to report she has all her contacts, calendar, messages, photos and emails back - thank goodness. All she lost was some apps, but those are easy to get from the App Store again. So by all appearances, we’re out of the woods.

Problem now is how do we get purchased music, movies, TV on her iPhone, iPad and iPod? We always used iTunes no problem but now I’m afraid to sync with iTunes again as it only lists our PC, my iPhone and my iPad under devices. Don’t know if the latest iTunes, iPadOS or something else caused the issue - or something I did inadvertently. But I’ve been syncing with iTunes for 15 years without issue.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Apple has discontinued iTunes. I'm not sure that's what caused the problem, but it may be!

Here's Apple's support page on the subject:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200
Not discontinued for PC owners like us. From your link.
Quote:
If you have a PC, you can continue to use iTunes for Windows to manage your media library, make purchases, and manually sync and manage your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Manually manage and sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
You can use iTunes for Windows to back up and update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and to sync content from your computer to your device. You can also use iCloud for Windows to access your photos, contacts, calendars, files, and more across all of your devices..

Old 10-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Experienced that unpleasantness myself some years ago. I had the bright idea of just backing up her iphone on my PC with itunes since she rarely backed her phone up. Never imagined it would decide to just put MY phone's backup on HER phone. I couldn't figure out what I had done to cause this disaster. Asked on an Apple tech site and got quite a few comments like "Duh, what did you think it would do when you plugged her phone in while you were logged into your PC account? Why didn't you create a separate login on the PC for that?"

Yeah, I still didn't understand how what happened made any logical sense at all.
prudent_one is online now   Reply With Quote