Brainstorm a Way to Track Down a Car Owner

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In my book, a time-traveling jewel thief has purchased a vintage Porsche on Craigslist. She has a fake driver's license and a fake license plate. She is renting a house anonymously from a landlord who thinks she's growing dope (rent is very high).

The private eye main character is trying to find her. At one point, he sees her in the Porsche. He checks all the craigslist Porsche sales, and finds the guy who sold it to her.

He also knows that she got a recent nose job.

I need ideas for a credible way for him to figure out where she lives. I wanted to have someone hack into the DMV records, but because she has a fake driver's license, she couldn't register it with the DMV (or could she?).

My current idea is that he stakes out a road near where he saw her, and eventually sees her go by.

But I'd like something better.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Never mind, I've got a solution. He's going to find the doc who gave her a nose job, and bribe him to reveal her phone number.

In my book, a time-traveling jewel thief has purchased a vintage Porsche on Craigslist. She has a fake driver's license and a fake license plate. She is renting a house anonymously from a landlord who thinks she's growing dope (rent is very high).

The private eye main character is trying to find her. At one point, he sees her in the Porsche. He checks all the craigslist Porsche sales, and finds the guy who sold it to her.

Being a vintage porsche, it needed maintenance. ;) Therefore, a reasonable PI would likely try the few porsche dealers or vintage car shops around town. Perhaps he saw her on the side of the road in a fender bender, and knew she would need to get it repaired?

Back
Top Bottom