Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heck with shopping, trampling, and killing! I went to Hardee's for coffee with the gang at about 9:30am. Nice and peaceful...the brood of old hens that cackle in the back corner of the joint must've been out on their shopping rampage!

I'm heading down to the feed store in a little bit, to pick up some bird seed for the feeders....the ONLY shopping I'll do today!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #22

Hmmm . . . And all I did was wander into a family owned appliance store and buy a new dishwasher and microwave. There was one other customer in there, just pricing.

Got $100 off the new dishwasher (helps pay for the delivery and install).

-- Rita

Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just saw an online poll on CNN:

Quick Vote: Is it worth braving the crowds to get post-Thanksgiving bargains?

Yes - 10% (7,058)
No - 90% (60,499)
Total Votes: 67557

Then again, how accurate can this be when it was taken on Black Friday morning when the 'yes' voters were out shopping?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #24

I don't buy crap I don't need even if it's on sale. I slept in until just after 1pm.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Just another dirty rotten market timer here. I'm timing the shopping to the post office deadline, will shop next week at the upscale pet shop for token stuff. They sent out two coupons, all the stuff I want is 20% to 25% off, and if I time it right, shop the right evening, I'll get some of the shopper's night free wine and cookies.

I'll drop off a Christmas card for that store with the photos from the Halloween dog costume contest they held, there was pizza given away there. I was surprised that store was able to survive, was a startup just a few years ago, very friendly owner. When I found a cat on the street, I called them for advice and they referred me to a cat-rescue person, very nice to do business with people I know.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm lucky. I always have my gifts here at home....blank checks in my checkbook. No small children to buy for, so a dollar figure with my sig makes everyone very happy. Ho Ho Ho
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't buy crap I don't need even if it's on sale. I slept in until just after 1pm.
I'm with you there. DH and I entertained several relatives for Thanksgiving Dinner, had a great time and then crashed. Slept in until 1pm this afternoon. No choice had, to regain my strength to tackle the dishes.

Oh HaHa, we also have a flip camera and love it. We set it up on a tripod and placed it in the corner of the dining room to film the festivities for family members who could not join us for dinner. So easy to use and it picked up all of the conversation. We got ours online at Amazon.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I guess I'm lucky. I always have my gifts here at home....blank checks in my checkbook. No small children to buy for, so a dollar figure with my sig makes everyone very happy. Ho Ho Ho
That's the way my family has done it for years. Why buy something for someone that they may not want or use. Everyone can use cash. People say "cash or gift cards are so impersonal". I say so what. I'd rather have $50 cash rather than $100 worth of crap I don't need or want and i'd rather give the same.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Nope - no Black Friday AND I am conviently not hearing suggestions I start digging out the boxes in the basement containing the outdoor window and yard Christmas decorations let alone the artificial tree and stuff.

Bah humbug. Where's my Curmudgeon certificate!

heh heh heh - nuts! arrived today - the various cookies I was was conned into buying for various Holiday causes by the neighborhood kids will begin showing up next week.

Watch out for the green coated nuts in the catalogs(Chinese horse radish) - that was last year.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I certainly wouldn't go out at this point, one year I got stuck out on black Friday in the early afternoon, the crowds were mind numbing.

Cleared the first two songs on Guitar Hero - whoo-hoo! Soul Ride....take it easy!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Slow Ride, by Foghat, is a pretty good song, too...

So, I braved the crowds long enough to walk around the mall for 30 minutes, which was all my swollen knee could handle. Lots of people, some of whom appeared to be shopping. Got a raspberry-mocha frappacino; lord knows I'm in calorie deficit after yesterday.

Heard a rousing rendition of Hotel California on pan flute...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I do almost the same. My parents, aunts and siblings get edible gifts--none of us really need more "stuff". All of the next generation except my youngest niece get prepaid Visa gift cards so they can buy whatever they would like. As a result their presents are always the right size and color and they don't groan at my totally non-existent sense of style and my utter ignorance of what's fashionable this year for the under-25 set.

My youngest niece is only 7, so I still buy an actual gift for her. I figure such a young child will like to get a box with wrapping paper to open. IIRC from when I was small, at that age, seeing all the boxes under the tree and unwrapping the present is a good part of the Christmas Day fun.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #33

Home Depot was abandoned. I guess hard wood isn't fashionable Christmas gift, but just wait a couple of months.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Home Depot was abandoned.
We're going to try our darndest to avoid the stores until 2009. But this week we bought $500 of HD gift cards for $400 from eager Craigslist sellers, and we're expecting even better deals after the holidays.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Nope - no Black Friday AND I am conviently not hearing suggestions I start digging out the boxes in the basement containing the outdoor window and yard Christmas decorations let alone the artificial tree and stuff.

Bah humbug. Where's my Curmudgeon certificate!

heh heh heh - nuts! arrived today - the various cookies I was was conned into buying for various Holiday causes by the neighborhood kids will begin showing up next week.

Watch out for the green coated nuts in the catalogs(Chinese horse radish) - that was last year.
isn't your back acting up again or something?

bah humbug indeed.
i will revert to the lazy person's method of doing the house with xmas lights - tiny suction cups on the INSIDE of the windows.
last year we did a Charlie Brown tree - a 4' high real Norwegian pine tree in a bucket. it was cute and pathetic all at once. we will repeat that this year.
i shall get in the spirit by dressing up as one of Santa's elves on Dec 6th at a kids' xmas party. Sickeningly Cute Elf will be my theme du jour.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #36

I went to Menards at 7 am for some plywood and electrical supplies and was trapped behind a bunch of women buying poinsettias. The place was packed. I went back at 7 pm and there were very few people there
Old 11-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i shall get in the spirit by dressing up as one of Santa's elves on Dec 6th at a kids' xmas party. Sickeningly Cute Elf will be my theme du jour.
I used to work with a guy (he was only about 4'8") that used to dress up as an elf when he went to holiday parties. Problem was, that he started drinking long before the parties started , and by the time he showed up, he was slobbering drunk. He end up making a spectacle of himself, make crude and lewd comments to people, and usually ended up puking on himself before he got thrown out.

Every time I see someone dressed as an elf, I think of him.....elves are scary!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Slow Ride, by Foghat, is a pretty good song, too...

So, I braved the crowds long enough to walk around the mall for 30 minutes, which was all my swollen knee could handle. Lots of people, some of whom appeared to be shopping. Got a raspberry-mocha frappacino; lord knows I'm in calorie deficit after yesterday.

Heard a rousing rendition of Hotel California on pan flute...
ROFLMAO! Can you tell I was born after the song was out? Sorry!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I think Soul ride would make a great title lol..
Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I knew the song was "Slow Ride", but I didn't want to admit I'm a fossil...so now the secret is out.... The older you get the slower you get....