Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Can you tell I was born after the song was out?
No need to rub it in...

It was 1975, for you young whippersnappers...

Quote:
Sorry!
Hey, even after 54 years, I'm still learning the "real" lyrics to songs. Thank you, internets...

But I reserve the right to change the lyrics to suit myself...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I used to work with a guy (he was only about 4'8") that used to dress up as an elf when he went to holiday parties. Problem was, that he started drinking long before the parties started , and by the time he showed up, he was slobbering drunk. He end up making a spectacle of himself, make crude and lewd comments to people, and usually ended up puking on himself before he got thrown out.

Every time I see someone dressed as an elf, I think of him.....elves are scary!!
am I hearing my "marching orders" here?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everybody around here must have shopped 'til they dropped yesterday! The town looks deserted....no traffic...no crowds....amazing! Black Friday must have sapped all their strength

We went out for breakfast this morning, and the place wasn't very busy.....it's always packed on Saturdays & Sundays. Then we ventured toward the grocery store....only 6 cars in the parking lot, so we went in and shopped. Went across town to Aldi's.....almost deserted....even the cashier was stocking shelves! Hit Walgreens on the way home, and there were a few folks there, but the checkout lines moved very quickly.....most were dropping off film, or picking up photos...not many 'shopping'.

Gotta go back to the store in a bit to pick up 1 item we forgot.....hope people are still at home recouping!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Everybody around here must have shopped 'til they dropped yesterday! The town looks deserted....no traffic...no crowds....amazing! Black Friday must have sapped all their strength

We went out for breakfast this morning, and the place wasn't very busy.....it's always packed on Saturdays & Sundays. Then we ventured toward the grocery store....only 6 cars in the parking lot, so we went in and shopped. Went across town to Aldi's.....almost deserted....even the cashier was stocking shelves! Hit Walgreens on the way home, and there were a few folks there, but the checkout lines moved very quickly.....most were dropping off film, or picking up photos...not many 'shopping'.

Gotta go back to the store in a bit to pick up 1 item we forgot.....hope people are still at home recouping!
This year is going to be a retail disaster. Everyone went out yesterday to get the great deals, but didn't buy anything else. In the line for Target, everyone had their flyer with key items circled. At the checkout, I had one item and I didn't see anyone with more than half a dozen.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
This year is going to be a retail disaster. Everyone went out yesterday to get the great deals, but didn't buy anything else. In the line for Target, everyone had their flyer with key items circled. At the checkout, I had one item and I didn't see anyone with more than half a dozen.
I spent less than $5 yesterday morning....2 cups of decaf, 1 carton of milk, and 1 bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit sandwich. Oops! I take that back....I also spent $6 at another restaurant in the afternoon for 2 coffees & 2 soups, for my buddy and me.....and then went bought a bag of bird seed for the feeders! I sure gave a big boost to the local economy!

But that's how I always spend....slow & steady. I buy what I need, when I need it. I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans! And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! Plus, when I shop for gifts...which is seldom...I'm looking for something unique and special, and those things aren't going to be on any of Black Friday's 'blue-light specials'. Electronic stuff we buy on an 'as needed' basis throughout the year, leaving Christmas and birthdays for 'memorable' items.

When I bring in the newspaper, I pick through the inserts to get the coupons for what we use from the grocery stores or Walgreens, and for eateries that we like. The rest of the junk is immediately direct-deposited in the round file, including all of the 'big box' fliers.

I've nearly turned into a carbon copy of my dear ol' Dad......he'd only shop at locally owned and operated stores and restaurants...the 'mom & pop' joints. I'm pretty much like him...although I do shop online for what is unavailable locally....or if I can get a far better price...if the price online isn't vastly lower, I'll opt to pay a few bucks more to buy from the local 'mom and pop' joint!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #46

I thought about going Black Friday shopping this year. It has been many years since I have gone. I looked through some of the sales flyers and saw some good deals and thought that yes I will go this year. Then my DD asked me if I would keep my almost 5 month old granddaughter, while she went back to MD with her DH. They left Thanksgiving night and will be back on Sunday. I have not left the house. Those Black Friday shopping deals had to be bought by someone other than myself. Who knows, maybe next year or maybe not!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans! And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! ...
I've nearly turned into a carbon copy of my dear ol' Dad......he'd only shop at locally owned and operated stores and restaurants...the 'mom & pop' joints. I'm pretty much like him...although I do shop online for what is unavailable locally....or if I can get a far better price...if the price online isn't vastly lower, I'll opt to pay a few bucks more to buy from the local 'mom and pop' joint!
are we related?
i firmly believe in supporting the mom-n-pop stores. they are the heart and soul of small town America. so what if something is 25 or 50 cents more? to me the payoffs for a slightly higher price are: the merchandise is better quality and undamaged, service is fantastic, and any problems are always taken care or immediately, without long lines. the free samples or that extra apple or roll given to faithful customers is well worth it. the genuine smile and hello you get at small places vs the bored expression at big stores, just top it off.
i am strictly an online shopper anymore. i hate crowds and big stores and traffic. urk !
am i getting cranky in my middle age? if so, cool.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

But that's how I always spend....slow & steady. I buy what I need, when I need it. I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans!
I loathe and fear shopping and crowds, though I do find I can tolerate people in small doses since retirement. And I do love all my critters, even the ones that dine in my garden.

Quote:
And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! Plus, when I shop for gifts...which is seldom...I'm looking for something unique and special, and those things aren't going to be on any of Black Friday's 'blue-light specials'. Electronic stuff we buy on an 'as needed' basis throughout the year, leaving Christmas and birthdays for 'memorable' items.
I do go to the 'big box stores' throughout the year.

Quote:
When I bring in the newspaper, I pick through the inserts to get the coupons for what we use from the grocery stores or Walgreens, and for eateries that we like. The rest of the junk is immediately direct-deposited in the round file, including all of the 'big box' fliers.

I do go first to the local merchants and farmers. Definitely willing to pay extra for unique or custom stuff.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Bah Humbug - one more time. Snowing north of Kansas City. I went to the doughnut shop.

Come back and she 'mentioned' she took a picture of the 6 foot Blue spruce in the front yard - a sneaky and subtle hint to get the outdoor lights from the basement.

At least it wasn't crowded in town - snow or they burn't out shopping yesterday

heh heh heh -
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #50

I went against my personal policy of not shopping on Black Friday and I went out to PetSmart. I had a $10.00 coupon that was only good on Friday, the 28th. I also had other coupons so I bought $40 worth of cat food and litter and it only cost $22. That was worth the trip out.

I pulled into the shopping center and the place was full all the way out to the access road. I drove closer to PetSmart and there was no crowd. It was all for the neighboring Borders Bookstore. When I left I saw a large tour bus, it was Glenn Beck, doing a book signing.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Truth be told, back in the day I liked to shop...well a little at least.

Now, I'm so bombarded with information, sales, coupons and negotiations, it practically wears me out. I do all the research, finally buy the product and I still feel like I'm getting screwed.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Way to go, America:

Early data shows strong Black Friday - USATODAY.com

Looks like this year's sales totals might best last year's by 3%--that's a lot of shopping!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Way to go, America:

Looks like this year's sales totals might best last year's by 3%--that's a lot of shopping!
Hey I did my part and bought a camcorder! USA USA USA
Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hey I did my part and bought a camcorder! USA USA USA
Woo! The practice of having a business that's unprofitable 11 months out of the year can continue unabated.
Poor business managers breathe a collective sigh of releif.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't left the house since Wednesday afternoon. I did some shopping online (bedding was 60+% off at macy's) and I am waiting for cyber Monday for a few more deals.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Way to go, America:

"Under these circumstances, to start off the season in this fashion is truly amazing and is a testament to the resiliency of the American consumer, and undeniably proves a willingness to spend," ShopperTrak co-founder Bill Martin said in a statement.

Hear that, consumer? You are a hero! You stared adversity in the face and you boldly charged...to your Visa.

Perhaps it was some pent up shopping desire that had been held back for the past few months with the downturn.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I have never been shopping on Black Friday.

My typical shopping experience time line:

11:09 Have a need for a box of screws
11:10 Get in car, dive to Home Depot
11:14 Arrive @ HD parking lot, get out of car
11:18 Stand in front of display of various containers of screws. Select one box.
11:19 Scan box of screws and swipe CC to pay for it. Do not need a bag, thank you.
11:21 Get back in car. Drive home.
11:26 Arrive home from HD, toss box of screws on work bench in garage.
11:28 Open first of several Shiner Bocks. Sit on deck drinking brew and think about why I thought I needed box of screws.
11:36 Open second beer...ahh screw it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote