Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had one. Gave it away when wife died. Married again. Inherited another one. Just gave it away. End of story
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
that's a beautiful loaf. Have you considered weighing ingredients rather than going by volume? I was getting such inconsistent results by volume, that I bought a scale. They aren't expensive. Interestingly, if you get any recipes from European sources, they always go by weight.

Slightly off topic, this reminds me of a Xmas bread I made for my Czech DIL. I got the recipe from her, had to translate it to English from Czech, then from metric to ounces, then ounces to volume.
It was supposed to be a braided bread, but it came out of the oven looking like a large milk bone
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
The biggest downside is putting on too many calories. You don't want to let it go stale, next thing you know you put on a pound.

Same for my wife and I. We made great bread and we ate it.....and our waists started bulging so we chose to stop making bread unless it was a special occasion like Christmas.
Jeffman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I stopped baking bread more than a decade ago as we mostly stopped eating bread except for Mestemacher or sprouted grains and then I stopped eating wheat several years ago.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I got the recipe from her, had to translate it to English from Czech, then from metric to ounces, then ounces to volume.
You'll get far more accurate results by measuring in weight instead of volume. Europeans know this. And most kitchen scales I've used let you switch between metric and US measurement.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You'll get far more accurate results by measuring in weight instead of volume. Europeans know this. And most kitchen scales I've used let you switch between metric and US measurement.
Yes, definitely go by weight on European recipes and modern electronic scales handle grams as well as ounces.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
+1

I bought a food scale to weigh food when we were losing weight. I had no idea how inaccurate volume was. The food scale is the number one used appliance in the kitchen.

I made pizza dough yesterday and volume measures would have been way light..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Hausfrau, I did end up recently going with the mini Zojirushi, and I love it too! I have just turned out my fourth loaf. Every one has been excellent! I actually am very surprised at just how much I like it. I had also bought an Instant Pot last year, and I have mixed feelings about it, although I am slowly figuring out how best it works for me. No mixed feelings about my Zojirushi! It was worth the money.

Glad you like it! I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but I am on the fence.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Glad you like it! I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but I am on the fence.
Hausfrau, an Instant Pot can be used in different ways. I don't find that it saves much, if any time, for most items, because of the time it takes to come up and go down from pressure. Nor do I find it to be useful for casseroles. Where I do find it useful is for single items - a whole cauliflower, rice, a winter squash, dried beans - that will later be incorporated into another dish. It also saves stovetop cleanup, which is a kitchen task I loathe.

But other people use it differently. Many, many people use it as a "fast cooker," that is, tossing in a bunch of ingredients, and then just cooking away. Same as a slow cooker, but faster (but you can throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, walk away all day, and return to a ready-to-eat meal, so that time difference is negated, and then the slow cooker incorporates flavors better and also adds those wonderful smells!)

And then there are the other buttons ...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I have made no knead bread from time to time and it is very good. The long rising time is often called the 'bakers secret' as it lets the good flavors develop and hinders the development of the bad tastes.

OTOH, a good bread machine is great for making pizza dough at the last minute. And waking up on Sunday morning to the smell of fresh bread is very nice.

I don't eat a lot of bread these days since high bread consumption does not fit into my slower-carb way of eating. So occasional pizza dough is the main output from my Oster bread machine.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I used my machine for about a year and then tired of it. Paid 100 and sold it for 20.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #52

I just came to this thread to see if anybody made any "blow through that dough" jokes, hehe!

My boomerang Story: Had one, went low-carb 20+ years ago and gave it to the in-laws. But now they're down-sizing and I foresee DW "rescuing" it
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
About 15 minutes from baking a loaf started this morning. Bought several bread machines at yard sales - they are a yard sale staple. They worked, but put out an ugly loaf. I've been going with 3.5 cups unbleached flour, 1.3 cups warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp yeast per loaf. combine ingredients at various times, knead a bit, use a dusted banneton to shape, plop in covered cast iron chicken pan, slash, and bake. Not into the bread machines.

This looks amazing. For those of us not experts in making bread, would you mind sharing the steps?

I realize this thread is old; I bookmarked it and am just now having time to bake bread!
akl432 is offline   Reply With Quote