Join Early Retirement Today

Breaking 500
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breaking 500

Forty days ago I started a retirement countdown clock on my computer http://www.timeanddate.com/ I am now down to 500 days. The 540 went to 500 pretty quickly. I suspect 400 will come fast enough. Once I am under 365 it will get really interesting. The Nov 3, 2007 date looks good to me for a bunch of reasons. The main variables as to whether I follow through with this date will be having a handle on younger sonís college costs (he will be in first year of college then, so I should have a better idea on costs) and the general trend of the market.

I hope to retire at the end or even the middle of a recession, anything but at the beginning of one. Work is still fun so I do not feel a need to leave but not working still sounds better than working. But I can pick my time. Any pointers on timing retirement to avoid retiring into a recession?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Breaking 500
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why does it matter?* If you have your finances set up to allow you to withdraw 3% or 4% SWR, a recession should not be relevant.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Any pointers on timing retirement to avoid retiring into a recession?
Sorry, I picked June 2002.

When you're a year away, maybe it'll make more sense to decide whether to have a couple years' cash in the portfolio or, if the economic picture seems grim, to pad it with a few extra years' worth.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Why does it matter? If you have your finances set up to allow you to withdraw 3% or 4% SWR, a recession should not be relevant.
Comfort, I guess.

My wife retired a few weeks back and it will be several months until we really see the effect on our life style & cash flow. She has a modest pension, mine should be better. But embedded in retirement thoughts are dreams as well as clearer thinking. My wife & I would like to do a lot of traveling and it would be nice to have a good reserve for travel. Its easier for me, I figure if I were on my own I could pull the plug and if funds were limited in would just be visiting Tijuana instead of Tahiti. My wife understands the concept but strongly prefers Tahiti.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW, I retired end of April this year and thus have had the pleasure of watching my portfolio drop almost 8% since that time. While not happy with that experience, I also retired with sufficient cash reserve to withstand a few years of crappy equity markets.

Some folks might say that the markets had to take a correction after the recent run up, but I certainly had no idea it was coming when I selected timing for retirement back in January. And that was my point. You really don't know for sure, so a retirement decision should be independent of market gyrations and a portfolio should have the wherewithall to take such events in stride.