Join Early Retirement Today

Breaking Bad
Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Breaking Bad

Tomorrow is final eposide this season. Are you a fan? If not, why not?

Quote:
Every episode of Breaking Bad is like a master class in television done right. My oldest daughter and I watch every episode at least twice: the first time straight through and then a second time to truly appreciate the dialogue, direction, editing, acting and cinematography. It is better than film school and infinitely less expensive.

If you are part of the Breaking Bad viewing bunch, you are no doubt nodding along to the above statements. I don't possess any more insight than the average viewer, and none of my observations are in any way unique. Everyone I know that likes television loves Breaking Bad
Read more: Michael O'Rourke: Breaking Bad has earned some love - San Antonio Express-News

Breaking Bad - Breaking Bad Season 4 Trailer – AMC

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We don't watch it but there are so many good shows out there, especially on the non-big-network stations, that we don't have time. Is there one more season to go? I know Bryan Cranston is amazing and it's so cool that he got to follow his Malcolm in the Middle goofy dad character with such a different role.

We probably will watch it on DVD or on demand one day once we get through all the other great shows out there.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It's my favorite show since 24 ended. The acting and cinematography are incredible. Each episode pulls me in deeper. I will be sad after it ends next season.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's one of my favorite shows. Too bad I didn't start watching until this season. I'd like to see how it started but i'm not going to buy the other seasons. Maybe i'll check the library.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely one of our favorites. Excellent acting, very interesting story lines.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It is worthwhile to subscribe to netflix for a couple of months to catch up on it.

To me not only is Breaking Bad the best show on TV, but it is arguably the best TV drama series ever.

I am continually wowed by it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

Other than actually knowing a former HS chemistry teacher turned meth cook, the show was too unrealistic for me and after watching the first episode I've never watched it since. Same thing with 24 - spent too much time saying "that's not right", and "that would never happen".
Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I watch it and like it very much. Sometimes I feel that they try to cut costs too much--it often seems too slow, there's a limited amount of actors, and scenery shots are probably done where it doesn't cost much. Seems like after 4 years they could have afforded to buy Walt a hubcap for his Pontiac Aztec--but it got crashed two weeks ago. Got to admit the acting is superb.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #9

We've tried a couple of times to watch, but it was way too brutal for us. Maybe it was just the 2 episodes we caught, I believe it's filmed in Albuquerque, where I grew up.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I personally LOVE the show. My SO, not so much (He says he usually has a character or two to root for in a drama, but not this one - actions of everyone on this show annoy him to some extent.) I admit, Water "the chemist" is often quite annoying (very insecure and imature for his age), and some of the shows are definitely "fillers", but I never know what's going to happen next and that keeps me glued to the TV for one hour each week. (OK, I watch more TV than that, but this one hour, I want no interruption!)

This show was recommended to me by a friend (I didn't even know this show existed) and we got caught up on it using Netflix the first two seasons and caught up on the third season when they had a TV marathon before Season 4 started.

The show is kind of like Sopranos and Six Feet Under combined. It is interesting that the show is categoriezed as Comedy-Drama (as violent as it is), but that's exactly what it is (with some laugh out loud moments). I usually don't like violent movies, but maybe because some of the things that happen in the movie are so unrealistic/absurd (the way Six Feet Under was) that I don't get emotionally stressed out the way I normally do with violent shows.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #11

I'm a huge fan. I don't ever watch the usual alphabet network stuff. I found BB channel surfing one day in season 1 and was intrigued so I watched the episode and I've been hooked ever since but this season was fantastic off the charts thrilling. The writing and acting are superb, I tape it and watch it at least twice. I've come to realize that every little thing that happens, especially backround shots, can be a clue and important. I used to watch it casually in the 1st 3 seasons but I realized what a mistake that was. I got season 1 from the library and was surprised at the things I learned that I over looked by listening while i read the paper or made some food. Waiting for season 2 and will watch season 3 next. Best drama on tv.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Been a fan since season one. In fact I've bought all three seasons currently available on DVD. Just finished watching the season 4 ender a few minutes ago. Fantastic! I'm getting so I can anticipate about 25% of what will happen before hand. That still leaves plenty of suspense. My thought at the end of season 4: Walt and Jesse back together again. Wonder how season 5 will go.

The only disturbing thing is how I can get caught up in the lives of terrible criminals and still care about what happens to them. I guess every story has a protagonist whether you can call him "good" or "bad".

I think it is significant that Walt has now BECOME Heisenberg WITHOUT donning the hat!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Other than actually knowing a former HS chemistry teacher turned meth cook, the show was too unrealistic for me and after watching the first episode I've never watched it since. Same thing with 24 - spent too much time saying "that's not right", and "that would never happen".

I have a new respect for Chemistry after this show, it can be used for making drugs, poison, and bombs, an extremely versatile skill. I suppose if all else fails you can even use a background in chemistry to teach high school kids .

I am guessing that since you knew the Chem teacher turned Meth cook that he wasn't particularly successful.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite show on tv and perhaps favorite of all time.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Me too. That's why I stick with shows like The Walking Dead. Much more realistic. Although I still have a little problem with fast zombies.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am guessing that since you knew the Chem teacher turned Meth cook that he wasn't particularly successful.
Maybe he was an exceptional chemist who just needed better help with his marketing & sales skills...

You'll have to ask my spouse sometime about a Navy command's Sailor of the Year who she occasionally worked with. Impressive woman with a great career ahead of her, and whose spouse was cooking meth in their Navy base house. Their little entrepreneurial side hustle also suffered some, shall we say, explosive growth issues.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #17

hello mickeyd - I have seen the trailer of this series. Looks too violent for me, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Are you a fan? If not, why not?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote