Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfindley79 View Post
You really need to watch the previous four seasons to truly understand what is going on. Heck, the last episode of Season 4 is a must just to understand the beginning of Season 5. You can get Seasons 1-3 from Netflix but I think you will need another viewer in order to get Season 4.
Actually season 4 is now available on Netflix as well. Just got the email yesterday.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Actually season 4 is now available on Netflix as well. Just got the email yesterday.
Cool, I am currently catching up on Season 2 of The Walking Dead. AMC is really knocking it out of the ballpark over the last few years. I am definitely a fan!
kfindley79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Cool, I am currently catching up on Season 2 of The Walking Dead. AMC is really knocking it out of the ballpark over the last few years. I am definitely a fan!
I just finished watching the first season of Walking Dead, and will probably catch up on that one before I start watching BB.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree Mad Men, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad have all been don't miss DVR worthy series. The Killing was a major disappointment, and the western show Hell on Wheels was good but not great.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
For whatever reason, I never watched much of the show. But may watch the final season. I need to find a summary of the show to get me somewhat up to date. Any ideas?
Check with your local public library. They probably have DVDs of it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #26

We liked the Killing, but for the acting, not so much the story. The actor who played Det. Holder was great. I can't believe he is Swedish and normally talks with quite an accent.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #27

Watched the first episode of BB season 5 tonight; DVRd.

It was magnetic!. Absolutely great episode.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

BB came up today with a conversation with a buddy who shares common interests in "edgy" tv series and movies. I asked him if BB would be a good series for me and the wife to watch (start with season one using Netflix), but he said it's probably too dark for my wife. I can handle dark (like Six Feet Under, etc) and I know the story line, but my friend really thinks this is even too dark for me. Comments?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
BB came up today with a conversation with a buddy who shares common interests in "edgy" tv series and movies. I asked him if BB would be a good series for me and the wife to watch (start with season one using Netflix), but he said it's probably too dark for my wife. I can handle dark (like Six Feet Under, etc) and I know the story line, but my friend really thinks this is even too dark for me. Comments?
No darker than Six Feet Under or The Wire IMO.

If you liked those series, you'll probably like BB.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Much, but not all of the time, of the time Breaking Bad has more light than a Black Hole. There are some moment of comedy and some wonderful moments of irony.

It isn't much darker than Soprano's. If you have Netflix I'd say watch the first disc or two (at the outside), they are a pretty good preview of coming depravity.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reading a summary, like on Wikipedia, cannot begin to capture the quality of this great show. I enjoyed watching on DVR because as great as AMC has done in giving us MadMen, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many commercials.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Reading a summary, like on Wikipedia, cannot begin to capture the quality of this great show. I enjoyed watching on DVR because as great as AMC has done in giving us MadMen, Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many commercials.
I agree that there are too many commercials. I always DVR both MM and BB and zip thru them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #33

Yes I watched and DVRed it too. I have to say *SPOILER ALERT* that I was really disappointed at how lame it was. Every ep of Season 4 was a cliff hanger and this was really lacking. I may watch it again to see what I think. *END SPOILER ALERT*

BB is the best fiction show on TV, probably evah! Yeah I like it! And if you haven't watched all 4 seasons you won't get it by watching season 4. It's a very complex story and I think it's best to watch an entire season on DVD for the continuity it provides. I did that prior to the start of season 4 and so many things clicked that I had forgotten or missed or just did not understand due to the week to week lag. TOOOOO many commercials but from week to week you forget all the little things that make this such an awesome show. I'd like to watch season 4 on DVD today.

Edited to add - if you are really hooked then this forum is a must to read! People here discuss the show and it's amazing the things you'll learn or pickup on that you missed. All eps from all seasons are discussed but naturally season 5 ep 1 is now the current topic.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....showforum=1173
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #34

I watched the very first episode last night. I thought it was good, but so much was unpleasant and depressing. Is it like this the whole series? I will probably keep watching for awile to see, but just wondered.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally
I watched the very first episode last night. I thought it was good, but so much was unpleasant and depressing. Is it like this the whole series? I will probably keep watching for awile to see, but just wondered.
To quote Al Jolsen, "you ain't seen nothing yet!"

The show while it does have light and humorous moments is very very dark. This is one man's journey to destroy his own decency.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post

The show while it does have light and humorous moments is very very dark. This is one man's journey to destroy his own decency.
That's what I love about it - they get into some real comical situations, then they get into other messes that make you wonder how the heck they will get through it. The acting is superb and the story is so engaging. Unfortunately we only get OTA channels so I have to wait for Netflix. I'm sad that Season 5 is the end.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally

Boy ain't that the truth! If you just started to watch you're going to be lost. There's so much history, I'm surprised at all the things I have forgotten until something comes up....
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Tonight episode may have been my favorite ever and for a show this good that is saying something.

Seriously this after seeing this heist, I fear I'll be bored watching Oceans 23, or Mission Impossible VIII.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Tonight episode may have been my favorite ever and for a show this good that is saying something.

Seriously this after seeing this heist, I fear I'll be bored watching Oceans 23, or Mission Impossible VIII.
When I saw Jesse fiddling with that straw (when Walt and Mike were arguing) I thought that he was going to suggest that they construct a pipeline from the "dead zone" to a safe location. I still think my idea was better...

Jesse seems to be the source of good ideas this season.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
That's exactly what I thought too. Of the 4 past seasons, S4 was the best with almost every episode in it being excellent. It could have ended with Face Off and I'd have been content. Sunday night's was so suspenseful, the last 10 minutes were nail biting AND THEN THE FINAL 15 OR 20 SECONDS BLEW THAT AWAY all by itself! How could those last 4 seconds ever have been expected?

And now where does this go from here?