Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
i also expected the racin once she ordered her tea. ..... Now compared to the Saprano's, the ending Breaking Bad was great.

But it was not as nearly as good as Ozymandias, or the train heist, or the end of Gus, or the Fly,or 1/2 dozen more episodes.

I was expecting the only person to survive would be Holly, but I guess Jesse deserved one break in his life.
Yeah when Lydia was playing with the stevia package and the camera zoomed in on it IIRC I knew it had the ricin in it.

Never saw The Sopranos, BB's ending did tie up the lose ends which I was happy about.

Yeah you name some GREAT episodes! That train heist, Dead Freight, was shocking and may have been the best until Ozymandias! The last ep of S4, Face Off, was shocking with a touch of comedy - like Gus could have walked out of the room or have only half his face blown off. Lots of black humor was mixed into the stories. Lots of great eps but I still say Ozymandias blows away all of them. This was the collapse of Walter's empire which is what the word means.

One bone I have to pick with the Jesse/Walt ending is Walt should have killed Jesse even though I expected Jesse to survive the episode. Remember Jesse turned Walt in to the DEA and brought Walt down (Ozymandias), up to that point they lacked the proof to arrest Walter. Walt told Jessie in Ozymandias that he watched Jane die just to twist the knife in Jesse's back as they were taking him away! Either of them had extreme reasons to kill the other, maybe that would have been a good ending! Check this out - both rolling around on the ground in that room after Jessie kills Todd one with a gun and the other a knife, both mortally wound the other and then both Walter's and Jesse's lives flashing before their eyes as they lay dying seeing all the people they hurt!!!! WHOA that would have been awesome. I can't think of a better ending, both die at each other's hands and both review all their damage, man Vince blew it!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never watched a single episode of Breaking Bad, but any program that generates so much water cooler discussion must be worth my attention in ER. I'm going to put it on my Netflix queue and will start at the beginning!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have never watched a single episode of Breaking Bad, but any program that generates so much water cooler discussion must be worth my attention in ER. I'm going to put it on my Netflix queue and will start at the beginning!
Good way to do it. DW and I spent 6 weeks on the beach in FL last winter and did that starting at season 1.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
gone traveling

Thought the last episode was perfect. We had a few streaming issues during it which was nerve-wracking, but it was a great series.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

How Walt died (kind of taking a bullet for Jesse), and where he died.

Did Walt die?
Bigal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #26

I'm another newbie to the series, and am ignorant of all the sub-plots. Question, and this is well beyond Spoiler Alert: if Walt had not been "accidentally" shot and bled to death, having apparently tied up all the loose ends, what was his next step?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Probably turn himself in. He was dying of cancer anyway. He was going to turn himself in at the bar until he saw a way to patch things the best he could.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Probably turn himself in. He was dying of cancer anyway. He was going to turn himself in at the bar until he saw a way to patch things the best he could.
I don't know. If Walt had lived, and assuming he didn't get caught by the cops, I think he would have gone back to cooking.

Since he had eliminated the competition (and I don't think there's any way Jesse would go back and cook again), he'd now be the only person left who could cook Heisenberg meth.

Even though he might not live too much longer, I bet he would have started up another lab.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #29

No he was going to turn himself in.

The reason was to free his wife from the DEA scrutiny and percussion. I forget the guy's name (the vacuum cleaner guy that makes people disappear) told him they'd nail her if they can't find him. The DEA had 2 missing and presumed dead agents. Sky was being squeezed to give up Walter by the DEA. She really had no idea where he was* and had no ability to save herself. So Walt wanted to kill Jack's gang for stealing $69MM of his money and then he was going to give himself up. He would be dead in 6 months, maybe a year, so he had nothing left to live for. Don't forget he conned Gretchen and Elliot into setting up the irrevocable trust for Walt Jr and he'd get it on his 18th birthday so the family got his $11MM. His job was done.

*ETA I just remembered that Walt gave Sky the Mexican lottery ticket whose numbers were the co ordinates of where the $90MM was buried but now is Hank's and Gommie's grave. So while Sky had no idea where Walter was she could have given them their bodies. Not sure how well that would have gone for her but it was about all she had to bargain with.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Not too many surprises, but well played out. Very enjoyable ending and left a good taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
That has been addressed in the UK version of Breaking Bad -

If "Breaking Bad" Had Been Set In The U.K
Uhhh, just my $.02 worth, but in the UK (maybe under OB care a couple of years down the road) Walt would have taken all of season one - maybe season two - just to get his MRI or CT, etc. As a commenter in the UK story said, Walt would only have been offered palliative care in any case. Justsayin.... YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I am so very happy that Breaking Bad had a cohesive, "made sense", reasonable, and entertaining ending. Really tied all the loose ends. Unlike "Lost".
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Uhhh, just my $.02 worth, but in the UK (maybe under OB care a couple of years down the road) Walt would have taken all of season one - maybe season two - just to get his MRI or CT, etc. As a commenter in the UK story said, Walt would only have been offered palliative care in any case. Justsayin.... YMMV.
You say that as if it is an indictment of the ACA. But in the pre-ACA US system Walt had to cook meth and come up with $300K in cash to get decent treatment. Under the ACA he would have received the same or better treatment you or I would get under our current employer paid insurance (unless we have some sort of super gold plated union HI) and he could still cook meth if he wanted to buy special treatment from a concierge oncologist.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You say that as if it is an indictment of the ACA.
< SNIP>

Nope, justsayin...

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not too many surprises, but well played out. Very enjoyable ending and left a good taste.

Well, you can base your conclusions upon the words of the enlightened scholars who tend to post comments in news articles, or one alternative source would be to look at where the UK health care system ranks compared to the U.S. health care system based on key metrics like life expectancy and infant mortality in research studies conducted by organizations like WHO or the nonprofit Commonwealth Fund. Just sayin, too,

Here is one article you might find of interest -

U.S. health 'mediocre' compared to other wealthy countries despite spending the most of any nation on Earth | Mail Online
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote