Join Early Retirement Today

Breaking Bad Finale
Old 09-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breaking Bad Finale

Has anybody watched it yet?

I liked it. It was kind of uplifting.

And did anybody watch the Obamacare segement on SNL with Aaron Paul (Mr. White's side kick)? He was funny.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I saw both. The SNL skit was cute. Aaron Paul stole the show. It was clever when Paul asked do you want to know what happened to my friend and Obama and the crowd all replied NO.

I liked the ending to Breaking Bad. I wished they would have put more in on why he left Gray Matter and why all his former co-students were more successful, but otherwise I thought it was well done.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I loved it The only thing I thought would make it better is a short scene at Walt Jr.'s 18th birthday party, so we could see how everything worked out for the family and acquaintances after the fact. Who was there, alive, and happy, and who wasn't would be interesting.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I seemed to be in a minority, but it was too much of a happy ending for me. I wanted something tragic to happen to Walt's family. Like Walt Jr. OD's on blue meth right after the money transfer has been arranged.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was what I expected it would be - wrap things up but nothing too exciting. The irrevocable trust for Jr was a surprise and how he engineered that! Other than that not too much in the way of twists and shocks.

I expected Walt would kill his enemies though I was surprised he went after Lydia. I expected Walt to die and Jessie to live. It was pretty much low key, not all that exciting, sitting on the edge of the couch screaming or muttering in utter disbelief at the twist in the plot "I can't BELIEVE that just happened!". See the episode called "Ozymandias" (the 14th episode of the 5th season and the 60th overall episode of the series) which I think may well have been the very best episode of the entire series!!!!!! Man that episode was a block buster with several scenes that qualified as the closing cliff hanging scene in any episode!

I was disappointed really but satisfied too. I pictured the final few minutes of the show to be Walter dying and having flashbacks seeing all the people in chronological order that he hurt or killed - sorta like his life flashing before his eyes as he is dying. That would have been awesome but Vince didn't think so!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

I liked it. I figured Walt would have to die. I suspected that Walt would save Jesse in some way in a final redemptive gesture, and that Jesse would not be able to kill Walt. I was thrilled to see Todd and Uncle Jack and his crew get their just rewards in an appropriately violent manner. I didn't see Lydia and the ricin coming. I also didn't see the arrangement Walt made with the Schwartzes coming either.

My favorite characters in the show were Hank, Tio Hector, and Gus Fring. Oh, and Mike and Saul. I understand Saul will have a spin-off of some kind (which I think will probably be short lived).
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was good. Tied up the loose ends which doesn't always happen on some long running shows. Vince Gilligan said afterward he thought the show deserved closure and I think he accomplished that.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm only on season 1 and loving it. What if there had been ACA available? Would he have had to sell meth to cover his hospital bills?
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I'm only on season 1 and loving it. What if there had been ACA available? Would he have had to sell meth to cover his hospital bills?
Somebody needs to shut down this notion that he goes into the meth business to pay his health care bills. That is a small part of the "financial planning" that meth making became to Walt.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
That has been addressed in the UK version of Breaking Bad -

If "Breaking Bad" Had Been Set In The U.K
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Somebody needs to shut down this notion that he goes into the meth business to pay his health care bills. That is a small part of the "financial planning" that meth making became to Walt.
Agree. Walt wanted to be the best at what he did and wanted the respect to go with that. He should have gone into hedge funds instead of meth. He could hurt just as many people but gain respect without the legal issues.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Agree. Walt wanted to be the best at what he did and wanted the respect to go with that. He should have gone into hedge funds instead of meth. He could hurt just as many people but gain respect without the legal issues.
He also had not planned for the support of his family or the costs of educating his children. So even with better health care coverage he still would have needed to find a way to provide for his family.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
It was what I expected it would be - wrap things up but nothing too exciting. The irrevocable trust for Jr was a surprise and how he engineered that! Other than that not too much in the way of twists and shocks.

I expected Walt would kill his enemies though I was surprised he went after Lydia. I expected Walt to die and Jessie to live. It was pretty much low key, not all that exciting, sitting on the edge of the couch screaming or muttering in utter disbelief at the twist in the plot "I can't BELIEVE that just happened!". See the episode called "Ozymandias" (the 14th episode of the 5th season and the 60th overall episode of the series) which I think may well have been the very best episode of the entire series!!!!!! Man that episode was a block buster with several scenes that qualified as the closing cliff hanging scene in any episode!

I was disappointed really but satisfied too. I pictured the final few minutes of the show to be Walter dying and having flashbacks seeing all the people in chronological order that he hurt or killed - sorta like his life flashing before his eyes as he is dying. That would have been awesome but Vince didn't think so!

The trust was a nice twist. i also expected the racin once she ordered her tea. The machine gun and the neonazi was pretty expected. Although as always Walt is pretty damn smart. Now compared to the Saprano's, the ending Breaking Bad was great.

But it was not as nearly as good as Ozymandias, or the train heist, or the end of Gus, or the Fly,or 1/2 dozen more episodes.

I was expecting the only person to survive would be Holly, but I guess Jesse deserved one break in his life.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It was about as good a wrap up as I can imagine. The part I liked the best was the laser lighting "assassins" Walt hired to enforce the trust. The machine gun (or a lab explosion) was predictable but what are you going to do? I think the easy watching wrap was preferable to a more realistic noir end for everyone involved ala clifp's wish. But I have to admit I can imagine some great tragic endings.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish they would have had a closing shot of the remaining money Uncle Jake had stashed. Where/how was it hid? One place or many? Would it ever be found? Kind of like the ending of "No Country For Old Men" what happened to the money?

I liked the scene where he stole the car. He was trying to hotwire it and then you saw the police lights outside. Then the police car just drove away. Reminded me of the early show where they were in the desert and you could hear sirens. Just when you thought he was caught, the fire engine raced by him.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

For DW and I, this was our first time watching this series. Kind of like reading a book by starting at the end.

The couple that got the $9M cash, how were they related to Walt? And how do you launder all that cash without some sort of underworld connections?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For DW and I, this was our first time watching this series. Kind of like reading a book by starting at the end.

The couple that got the $9M cash, how were they related to Walt? And how do you launder all that cash without some sort of underworld connections?
They were partners back at Sandia or something. Walt believes they stole his intellectual property and got rich off it. They are rich enough to contribute $26M to meth treatment to counter-act they bad press they got on their past association with Walt. With those kind of resources they can hide the $9M.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Their company, Gray Matter, which Walt was a part of before selling off his modest shares for rent money to start his family, is worth billions today. $9M would probably not be noticed.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #19

I thought the ending was brilliant. I was certain Walt was going to kill the Schwartzes, but the fact he "used" them instead, while still putting them under mental torture by thinking hired assassins were out there to murder them, was brilliant.

It was pretty much a given that Walt was going to kill all of Uncle Jack's crew. I liked how by that time, Walt didn't even care about the money, so just went ahead and shot Jack. That was a good scene. He had already provided for his family by that time, so didn't care about the money anymore.

I thought the end was going to come down to a showdown between Walt and Jesse. Perhaps Jesse choking the life out of Walt. Except he did that to Todd, which was a nice twist. Jesse choosing to disobey Walt (didn't he say in another episode, "I'm never doing anything you say ever again"?) when Walt told him to shoot him made perfect sense. Jesse had already gotten his blood lust rage over with by throttling Todd, so he was now free from Walt, and could just run.

How Walt died (kind of taking a bullet for Jesse), and where he died, in the lab with his "Precious" (as Vince called it), was very fitting, and a well done closure for the series.

I thought they did an outstanding job. So many TV shows go on too long, or botch the ending. Major props for Vince and crew ending on a peak, and treating all the characters and the viewers with respect, by coming up with a great ending.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #20

I loved the finale - there was a symmetry to it, for me anyway. Just like when Six Feet Under (HBO) ended, I feel like I've lost a friend. It will pass in a few days, but Walt, Skyler, Holly, Jesse, etc. are on my mind a lot. Strange how we get so attached to fictional characters, and yet don't know most of our neighbors names.

I really loved the SNL skit. Those writers are brilliant.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote