Breaking news out of Germany

......written by IP Freely and coauthored by his cousin Kenny Makeit.......

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

PMP at that one. I told DH about it and he hit the ceiling.

Wow. I don't think that uric acid is going to do the ceiling any good either!

He must be a lot younger than most of us (with a shrunken prostate and bladder muscles of steel).

+1

For allowing her husband to do this, BWE is truly "best wife ever".

I learned something today. I just wish it wasn't this.

So, you don't think you are getting more than your money's worth by subscribing to this forum?

For the non-squeamish, I would like to share this link: https://planetgermany.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/terrifying-german-toilets/.

Don't read if you do not have to, but travelers would want to be informed and prepared.

When I lived in Germany, the toilet in the house I rented had a "poop shelf". I wondered if the funky configuration was meant to minimize the sewer gas issue that seems to be pretty rampant. In any case it didn't work. When an American friend came to visit she had to ask how to flush the toilet because I had a kleenex box on the tank covering the button.

On a more pleasant note - I really liked having an individual heater in the bathroom so I could heat just that room before I showered.

Here's picture of the German toilet. I lived there for a few years, but I never really cared to make a close examination of the subject matter. Perhaps they use less water.

At Frankfurt airport, I saw that the toilets were of the conventional type. Perhaps places that see foreign visitors install non-German type of commode to avoid mishaps. That would be a wise move.

About sewer gas escaping, all toilets of various design incorporate a gooseneck that uses water as a gas block. Same with all sinks and washbowls.

Stand or sit?

DEPENDS

doesn't matter

If no Depends, then it does matter. I wonder if the judge in that case has opened a floodgate by setting a precedent. Now, public places with this kind of toilet will scramble to replace them all, because men can now spray at will without being held liable (even the ceiling?).

Again, he who sprayed must pay. If he missed, you cannot acquit.

Please be informed that the german toilets have abandoned the poop shelf several years ago to save water. You might find it in very old bathrooms only.
If interested you will see current models here:
WC günstig kaufen | Toiletten von Top-Marken | Reuter Onlineshop
However, you will find that the basin is smaller than in US models - again, to save water. But still it is difficult for men to pee standing without splash.

The lawsuit was about a landlord who wanted to use part of the tenant's deposit to repair the marble around the toilet. It was damaged by urine.
The court ruled that he can't. He should have informed the tenant in advance that marble is sensitive to urine. German courts are extremely tenant friendly.

Please be informed that the german toilets have abandoned the poop shelf several years ago to save water. You might find it in very old bathrooms only.
However, you will find that the basin is smaller than in US models - again, to save water. But still it is difficult for men to pee standing without splash.

The lawsuit was about a landlord who wanted to use part of the tenant's deposit to repair the marble around the toilet. It was damaged by urine.
The court ruled that he can't. He should have informed the tenant in advance that marble is sensitive to urine. German courts are extremely tenant friendly.

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris!

Yes - we only ran into the "shelf" design when staying at a smaller inn in a small town in Austria. All of the big city hotels had toilets similar to the US. But I get the impression that this design persists more in Austria, perhaps than in Germany.

Good thing I trained DH 36 years ago how to pee without hitting the floor. He is an expert at the "how to" pee and not hit the floor!

In Michael Lewis's book, Boomerang, he discussed German's obsession with poop. Apparently a very real phenomena.

Finally. My rights are vindicated.

Men can, and may, and even spray, and yet do not have to pay.

To that, a German judge has given the green light.

Despite all the talk about equality for the sexes, anatomy trumps all. Life's tough!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom