Join Early Retirement Today

Breaking the Chain
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breaking the Chain

I got one of those "forward this to (number) people" emails from a friend the other day. I don't know why, but these things rub me the wrong way, and I have a personal policy of never forwarding them. The only emails I forward are virus/scam warnings, and those only after I have checked them out to make sure they are genuine.

Does anyone else dislike getting these chain-letter type messages? Would you ask your friends not to send them? Can my friends tell that I break the chain, even if I don't say so?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #2

I dislike getting those letters and usually write back and ask the sender to remove me from their distribution list. I've found that they don't respond to my request, but do remove me from their forwarding list.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Administrator

I think the reason that I dislike these letters is that they are so superstitious! How could any reasonable person with a sound basis in either science OR religion ever believe that breaking the chain would cause bad luck?

I *always* break the chain. I don't tell anyone that I break the chain, and I don't request to be left off chain letters, so I don't suppose that anyone knows that I always break the chain.

In general I am a very lucky person. So, breaking the chain apparently hasn't affected me in a negative way. I believe that the reason that I am so lucky is that I am determined to make my own luck. Maybe my philosophy is a secular extension of "God helps those who help themselves."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These things are so silly.
If I feel like I need some luck, I'd rather spend my time looking for 4 leaf clovers in my lawn.

I get REALLY torqued if my email address is displayed in the forwarding string.
If a bcc: is used, I'm merely perturbed.

1st strike: I politely ask the sender to remove me.
2nd strike: if it persists, I use a stronger response, usually in person.
3rd strike gets the person's blocked with a strong message that I will have no choice but to notify their ISP that they are spamming. I've rarely had to do this.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

I had a friend (key word "had") that used to send several of those worthless pieces of cr*p everyday! I finally had enough of it...especially since I had dial-up at that time....and politely asked him to not send those to me, and I explained why. He got thoroughly p!ssed off at me, and sent me an email (his final one) saying, basically "fine....you don't want to hear from me, I'll never send you anything or talk to you again!"

I emailed him, and called him on the phone and tried to tell him that it wasn't that I didn't want email or phone calls, only that I didn't want THOSE kind of emails. He hung up on me, and I've not heard from him since.....that's was about 12-15 years ago. And it's really kind of strange, because we'd been close friends for many years......Oh well, life goes on!

I still occasionally get what appears to be a 'chain' email, so I immediately drop to the end of it to be sure that it's one, and delete it! If 'chain' emails are about the only type of thing that I normally receive from the person sending it, I set up my email filter to automatically delete email from that person. Now I seldom get that kind of cr*p in my inbox!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

Well, at w*rk, there is an email abuse address that you can forward them to and the sender gets a stern warning and their boss is cc'd. Plus there is a filter which flags things, including virus warnings and doesn't let the message be sent. One of my legit emails hit the filter and I had to change the title. It has been at least seven years since I got one at work.

Unfortunately at home, I have certain well meaning relatives who must be sternly sent warnings from Snopes. I noticed that several Aunts have dropped me from their chain emails because of this, not that I am complaining.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I believe that the reason that I am so lucky is that I am determined to make my own luck. Maybe my philosophy is a secular extension of "God helps those who help themselves."
You and me both, sister!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I hate those chain letters too. I break the chain everytime and tell people to stop sending me trash. If they continue to annoy me with such non-sense, I just add them to my list of blocked email addresses.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

I get emails, jokes, chain letter, etc. from people from my old job. I've been deleting them without even opening them. I'm glad they always list a subject on the subject line, at least that way I can open the ones that might be an invite to lunch or something. They don't need to know I don't open 99.9% of their emails.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I get emails, jokes, chain letter, etc. from people from my old job. I've been deleting them without even opening them. I'm glad they always list a subject on the subject line, at least that way I can open the ones that might be an invite to lunch or something. They don't need to know I don't open 99.9% of their emails.
That's my strategy. No point in picking a fight over it.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I delete these things, unless they come from someone at work (e.g. my secretary), in which case I speak to the person and ask him/her to cease and desist. If someone who is a direct report to me is wasting company time and bandwidth sending chain letters, and does not stop when I ask them to, I consider it a performance issue. I once fired someone for this (and being lazy).

Our firewall has antennae out for this kind of thing and when it sees a distribution list to "all" will either quarantine the message or dump it automatically in the junk mail folders. It's actually quite efficient. It filters and dumps quite a lot of junk mail from my university, too, not only notices about fire drills and asbestos removal but even news about research grants! So I do have to check the junk mail folder on a regular basis.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, I am convinced that if you step on a crack, you will break your momma's back.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well, I am convinced that if you step on a crack, you will break your momma's back.
I used to step on every crack when I was mad at my mother, as a child. Then I would feel so guilty!! But she never did break her back.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #14

Yeah, I get these, too. I just delete them when I see what they are. I'm not the least bit superstitious....ahem...except a good friend who hails from rural LA has me touching a button whenever I see a hearse.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I got one of those "forward this to (number) people" emails from a friend the other day. I don't know why, but these things rub me the wrong way, and I have a personal policy of never forwarding them. The only emails I forward are virus/scam warnings, and those only after I have checked them out to make sure they are genuine.

Does anyone else dislike getting these chain-letter type messages? Would you ask your friends not to send them? Can my friends tell that I break the chain, even if I don't say so?
Count me in the "always break the chain" category. I used to get aggravated when I received them but these days don't even give it a 2nd thought and just delete them.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
How could any reasonable person with a sound basis in either science OR religion ever believe that breaking the chain would cause bad luck?
These are the folks whose retirement plan is to buy lottery tickets every month - even those that understand probabilities.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
These are the folks whose retirement plan is to buy lottery tickets every month - even those that understand probabilities.
I think you're right!! Pitiful, isn't it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
I think the reason that I dislike these letters is that they are so superstitious! How could any reasonable person with a sound basis in either science OR religion ever believe that breaking the chain would cause bad luck?

I *always* break the chain. I don't tell anyone that I break the chain, and I don't request to be left off chain letters, so I don't suppose that anyone knows that I always break the chain.

In general I am a very lucky person. So, breaking the chain apparently hasn't affected me in a negative way. I believe that the reason that I am so lucky is that I am determined to make my own luck. Maybe my philosophy is a secular extension of "God helps those who help themselves."
I'm not talking about messages that threaten something bad will happen if you break the chain. I'd probably ask the sender to take me off their forwarding list if I got a message like that (and I doubt that I'd be enormously upset if they stopped sending me emails altogether). This is more similar to the old recipe chain (done by postal mail) you may have seen ages ago, or postcard chains which I even think I remember doing in school—someone sends you a recipe or postcard, you're supposed to send multiple recipes or postcards out, and (theoretically) in a little while you get back a whole raft of recipes or postcards.

I've got more important stuff to do, and even if I don't get around to doing the important stuff, if I'm going to waste my time there are plenty of ways I'd rather waste it than forwarding silly chain letters!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Administrator

I don't respond to those, either. I always assumed they were voluntary so it never occurred to me that anyone would be upset if I didn't continue the chain.

I guess the lack of response by people like me, might be why some of those same chain letters threaten bad luck if you don't respond!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
These things are so silly.
If I feel like I need some luck, I'd rather spend my time looking for 4 leaf clovers in my lawn.

I get REALLY torqued if my email address is displayed in the forwarding string.
If a bcc: is used, I'm merely perturbed.

1st strike: I politely ask the sender to remove me.
2nd strike: if it persists, I use a stronger response, usually in person.
3rd strike gets the person's blocked with a strong message that I will have no choice but to notify their ISP that they are spamming. I've rarely had to do this.
Hmmm. I never thought about the fact that my email address is getting scattered around hither, thither and yon to a bunch of total strangers. On the one I just got, my name is just my name, but all the other peoples' emails are visible, so probably they can all see mine.