Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Breaking the Thrift Habit??
Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I also struggle with this but to a much lesser extent than before we were retired. DH and I love to eat out at expensive restaurants with good service and exceptional food. We do this about once a month. We would much rather do this than eat at fast food joints or chain restaurants more frequently.

We do travel for vacation and to visit children about 4-5 times a year. We spare no expense- fly first class, stay in the best hotels and eat at fine restaurants. We enjoy sight seeing, shopping etc. This year we have gone for a week or more to Park City and Salt Lake City, Utah. On our way this month to N.Y., next month to Chicago and the next month to Tampa,FL.

We buy whatever we need whenever we want it for our home. We have spent money for interior designers and architects for our home and probably will in the future. DH has a bad back so we pay for landscapers to take care of our property weed, trim trees, bushes, etc.
When we had our pool put in, we spared no expense for a special stone waterfall. It took 10 men to carry the 700lb, lintel in. We made sure the pool had a self-cleaning system and a salt system so that it would be low maintenance. We also needed a misting system to cool it down since it gets hot here.

We buy our veggies and meats at an organic food store and like real veal cutlets, filets, seafood, etc.

However, we have a real problem spending more than $22,000. for an automobile. We only need transportation, not a show piece. I will only pay for cable plus - no HBO or other premium channels. Don't need them! DH and I share a cellphone- we are usually together.

And I have to agree with Nords, I hate paying recurring monthly bills- phone, water, sewer, electric, garbage, newpsaper, etc. I also will shop around for auto and homeowners insurance. I will do whatever it takes to lower them.

We only buy clothing when we really need it but only buy Eddie Bauer because their clothing lasts and lasts.

We love going to the movies but only go when we have Free movie passes. Otherwise we rent DVD's.

Quirky! Probably, but we live our lives on our terms and enjoy it.

Momtwo

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

SteveL, I wish I had your problem*

Seriously, I wish I had been more frugal in my earlier years of working.* As it is, I am not retired yet although I have gotten the FIRE and LBYM "religion".

Would it help if you spent not so much on material possessions or things, but on experiences that you would enjoy or find enriching?*

For me, that would mean learning skills or pursuing interests, like learning to paint, to play a musical instrument, to do carpentry, or to make pottery; pursuing hobbies or sports; taking classes for fitness (yoga, Pilates) or out of curiosity (physics, history); or even going on a spiritual retreat.*

It's already been brought up but if you were so inclined, it would also be a form of enrichment for you to help out others by donating to causes important to you or by helping people you care about.* There are even "working" vacations to help the less fortunate here or abroad.* (Even ER's need a vacation to vary the routine, right?)

I am echoing something that HaHa said once about spending on skills/interests that become part of you or your life--they are more lasting and are remembered longer than spending on knick-knacks or material stuff that quickly loses value ("bad investment", per Jay_Gatsby).

Edit:* Oh, and I agree with unclemick on the feeling that possessions kinda possess you--you've gotta find a place for them, dust 'em, clean 'em, maintain 'em, count 'em, insure 'em, move 'em, haul 'em, store 'em, worry about 'em, etc.* So if you're thrifty on buying stuff, maybe it's a good thing and you can balance that with spending more on non-material stuff.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Have been viewing this board for close to two years now.

This thread is one of the most bizarre ones I've seen to date.

I remember years ago "Scrooge McDuck", Donalds Uncle, used to roll around in his room that was floor to ceiling in cash. (This was his life).

Do you guys live in a vacuum?

Rather than spend more than you are comfortable with, don't you have aging parents, adult children, neices or nephews, etc. etc. that could use a hand-up because of circumstances beyon their control. (Not everybody in this situation is there because of irresponsibility).

Well, don't want to continue, while I might be breaking even.

Jarhead

ex-Jar,

Since when does frugal living mean turning your back on others? My folks (and in-laws) are the tightest of the tight. I could write a book. Chapter 1 Everythings Beige One time Pop got a great deal on 50 gallons of beige paint. Everything was beige...everything!

However they always were there for us. And the grandchildren, forget about it! Pop's always said, "Give with a warm hand."

Being thrifty allows one to be generous.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

ex-Jar,

Since when does frugal living* mean turning your back on others? My folks (and in-laws) are the tightest of the tight. I could write* a book.* Chapter 1 Everythings Beige* *One time Pop got a great deal on 50 gallons of beige paint. Everything was beige...everything!

However they always were there for us. And the grandchildren, forget about it! Pop's always said, "Give with a warm hand."

Being thrifty allows one to be generous.

Agree 100%.

However, various posters were "agonizing" about not being able to spend the amount they
should be spending.

Just gave them some ideas on how to take care of some of the "long-fall".
Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to read that we aren't the only ones....I am married (37 years), couldn't have the pile without the fervent support of my wife, who, if anything, is tighter than I am .....
We do buy good stuff when we buy something, because it seems to last better than cheap stuff. Old habits are just tough. During the last ten years of pulling the plow, we put away more than half our gross out of our net....We do stuff for our kids and grandkids, but, we aren't going to make much of a dent in the pile. We do travel. Last year we did a month in China and the prior year in East. Eur. But even then, we squeeze, and pass up stuff.
It is very funny, because I have a sister who never met a dollar she couldn't say goodbye to.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Scrooge McDuck had most of the money in the town, had a vault that was full.
Was said that he was worth 9 cubic acres of money. What a way to compute networth!
Time is money...his fave quote.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
. . .Saving is easy,,,,,spending is tough!
I guess I'll write a minority opinion. Send me the cash and I will spend it and find value. I am happy with my lifestyle choices, but I would be happy to live at a higher spending level if the money fell in my lap. I'm just not willing to be a wage slave to get more money.

To me the statements from the original post sound a little bit like the non-ERs who ask, "What will you do all day?" Now you're just asking the question, "What will you do with extra money all day?" My answer is, "More".

I enjoy many activities that don't cost me much. I travel by car to remote areas, camp out, hike, and participate in archaeology projects. I wouldn't be against a more comfortable car. I would appreciate better camping gear (it gets better every year). There is some excavation equipment, survey tools and software that I wouldn't mind having.

I also like to travel. I wouldn't mind visiting Egypt, Greece, Italy, Peru, or Easter Island again. I've never even been to Turkey or China or Australia. I'll probably make some of these trips over the next several years, but if a pile of money fell in my lap, I would make more trips each year.

My lawnmower is getting old and less reliable. I am having to spend a lot more time keeping it running smothly than a new mower would take. I get a certain amount of satisfaction keeping this old beast running and saving the cost of a new mower, but I could find other ways to get satisfaction from my time.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
To me the statements from the original post sound a little bit like the non-ERs who ask, "What will you do all day?"* Now you're just asking the question, "What will you do with extra money all day?"* My answer is, "More".
It's not the spending in inself that is difficult, it's knowing how to spend that is difficult for many people. Everyone spends, but many people don't do it well. That is the problem.

For example, if you were to buy an item like a television costing $2000, would you just go to the store, buy it on your charge card and pay the minimum amount each month?

The vast majority of the population spends foolishly that way because they don't know how to spend. Chances are most people on this forum would save up for that purchase and buy it with cash or on credit and pay it off before any interest accrues because they know how to spend.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #29

My thrift is a habit borne out of fear of poverty. I also have a goal of always being financially independent. Don't want to ask anyone for money, and now, don't want to work in an unfulfilling job to earn more. Been there, done that. As long as Bogle is correct, my independence should last. Have no idea how to break the habit, but I suspect DW will enlighten me.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #30

Can't break the habit. Its been beaten into me by parents, in-laws, grandparents, nuns, etc. Still could write that book:

Chapter 2 "Turn off that light!"

Old 08-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #31

My parents were frugal but didn't get nutty about it. My Dad was
dirt poor as a kid. Mom was comfortabel middle class. I quickly
soared way beyond where they and my other relatives were
lifestyle-wise. Spent it all, but you've heard that story.

We don't deny ourselves much, always assuming we could be dead
soon. However, I do keep in mind that we may be wrong and live
a long time. Soooooooooo, you have to have a plan for that just in
case. Last night we dined with another couple at a very pricey Italian
restaurant. When the bill came I never had a twinge. Our companions picked up the tab

JG
Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #32

JG
So do you think you'll see the couple from last night soon?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #33

I have lived LWBYM (way below) all my life. Now that I have ER'd am currently unemployed, I am using a budget for my expenses. For example, I have given myself $250 a month for food and dining out but because of my lifelong habit, I have been spending less than 70% of it. It's going to be a slow process to change my habit. Today, I bought a fruit (papaya) which I would not have bought because of my cheapness frugalness.

One baby ER step at a time.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #34

MJ,

Papaya? I'm thinking booze in the blender.... Anyway we are off to the Chineese buffet for crab legs. At $12.50/person (minus the 10% coupon* ) they have to be losing money on us. These buffets are everywhere. I often wonder how much snow crab is pulled from the oceans to overfeed the all-you-can-eater's*

Gotta go... The early bird catches the crabs. That didn't come out right.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I bought a fruit (papaya) which I would not have bought because of my cheapness frugalness.
As the man said to Dirty Harry, "I just gots to know."

Where was it sold and how much did they charge for that papaya?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #36

Funny post, BUM!

Yeah, they just opened a new Chinese buffet here that has real quality food! $9.95/dinner with all you can eat good sushi, crab legs, oysters.

Bummer that a desire to keep the calories down prevents me from taking full advantage of this.

Speaking of buffets, I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Home Town Buffets.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
As the man said to Dirty Harry, "I just gots to know."

Where was it sold and how much did they charge for that papaya?
It was Mexican papaya and I bought it at my local fruit market at $1.29 lb. Althought it was a small piece, it weighed close to 2 lbs. I finished it off that day. It was delish.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:49 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
It was delish.
Thanks, we like them too and eat them just about daily.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Thanks, we like them too and eat them just about daily.
I don't think I would buy it every day. I'll start with once a week.
How much does it cost your way? I would think that they're fairly inexpensive.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #40

We're now discussing regional differences in the price of, and eating frequencies for papayas.

This may be a sign that we spend too much time on the Internet.