Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Brew day
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah!

He's back defending the honor of British taste buds - Beerwise.

Max - you're fighting the last war - with the rise of micro brewers - American taste has fractured all over the map in recent years.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I relate to the "It stinks up the house comment." My wife hates the smell. I love it. Must be a guy thing. Garage brewing doesn't work in the midwest subzero winter temperatures. I really miss brewing. Thank goodness my daughter married a home brewer. Unfortunately they live in North Carolina so I don't get to drink it as ofter as I would like. BTW, only boiled over a few times, but that's enough.

setab
Old 04-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Boilovers are really "special" when you are doing a 10 gallon batch fired by a 175k BTU burner. Luckily clean up is aided by being able to hose the whole thing down...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

1958 - 1987 on and off with some pesky lapses due to school, work, dirty blondes, etc., etc.

Started with Schroeder's Dad's receipe, his German yeast and the homebrew section of Safeway (Berg and Son's Malt, Tacoma WA). The old light bulb with blanket over the crock in da barn. Many a boil over and busted bottle though the years.

Alas - past is past. Brings back some fond memories though.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Max? You're back after the "Ciao" message yesterday?

Was that message a belated April Fools Day joke, or is the forum experiencing our own version of "Ground Hog Day"?

Oh who cares. Its just a 3 line random message turing machine with bad punctuation and capitalization and very little relevance. Wearing a wig.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

REWhahoo, CFB, I was taught not to argue with Women and Older People, so NO COMMENT.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

See? One line, bad punctuation, bad capitalization, and no relevance. According to that last emoticon, wig firmly in place.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My last home brew was a Cooper's Stout from Woolies and I used a dark wheat malt.

Got it going, gurgler working fine. Went to work, came home and could smell it from outside the house. There was was a ball of foam (head) on top the gurgler the size of Marge Simpson's hair do. And there was a puddle of beer makings the size of Lake Titicaca on my kitchen lino.

In the desert heat of Australia it was not uncommon for the bottles to launch themselves to roof height.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to see other brewers on board! I brew mostly "extract" brews. It's easier than "all grain" that Brewer is doing. Less time and equipment. Right now on deck is a red ale, next up is a Irish stout, after that a amber honey ale, then a American steam style ale. Believe it or not I've slowed down on my brewing, most of the mentioned beers are promised to folks. I'm finding wine making to be more fulfilling, working on a cab with juice from CA, WA ,Chile, and France, a Ca Santa Ynez syrah, an Aussy Shiraz, a cherry/vanilla and a blueberry that I will blend with the Shiraz at some yet to be determined ratio. In the cellar there are blueberry port, strawberry/ rhubarb, white zin (for the wife), symphony (a white), raspberry mead, orange spiced mead, jalapeno wine, and some more I can't remember right now.....Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine. I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store. I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store. Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine. I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store. I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store. Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.

I agree with you on the prices. Plus it is hard to get really good micros here where I live. And it does not take much to make great beer at home.
What kind of wines have you made? My very best is a blueberry port I've never seen* in the store. Cost me maybe $1.50 per bottle. The "kit" whites are pretty good, an expensive kit $90 or $ 3 per bottle could be equal to a $ 15 or more bottle of store bought wine. Some of the "grape pack" reds are supposed to be good, so I'm trying some of them. Thing is though they are a year or more aging before being able to taste their best. As I get older I don't drink that much beer, unless around friends. Or on a hot day, not many of those in N. MI. But I do enjoy a nice wine with dinner, and maybe a port after, couple of times per week. Must be a age thing. ..........Shredder

BTW A few of the beers i'm making a for a fly fishing get together in a month or so. I'll consume my share at the campsite.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine.* I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store.* I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store.* Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.
Make me either and you'll never hear any complaints from me!

Our friends in San Francisco do the home brew thing, usually have three or four types sitting in the fridge, always tasty. The weird thing is, their black/oatmeal/Guinness stout always ends up being nearly alcohol free. Very strange!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
The weird thing is, their black/oatmeal/Guinness stout always ends up being nearly alcohol free.* Very strange!
Not that there's anything wrong with that, you get to drink more!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Three words.

Russian. Imperial. Stout.

Just hit yourself in the head with the bottle and get it over with.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Huh, funny you say that, my friend got me a bottle of beer called Rasputin(?), black tar in appearance, close to 40 proof, I believe. Almost undrinkable. Almost.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I think they're about 9-10%, although at a small brewer/microbar near boston about 6-7 years ago I had some of theirs that was supposed to be in the 12% range. I think my teeth were slightly smaller after drinking it due to corrosion.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, I thought that would be going too far. One big bottle and I was good. Didn't want dinner, either!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Toronto Star has Article on American Micro Brewers in which it lauds them for being creative and innovative, Brews that are now being copied in Europe whereas Canadian MicroBrewers are still copying European recipes.

I might drink 3 beers in a year.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Max,
likewise. I think I drank 1 beer last year, a Pilsner Urquel.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote