Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Al,

What ice cream maker do you use?
Also, when you use splenda instead of real sugar, what precautions do I need to take so the ice cream will turn out the way it turns out when you use sugar?

Thanks!
Quote:
What ice cream maker do you use?
This is the one we have:

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-IC...8132184&sr=8-3

I just noticed that there are some bad reviews there, but as long as you make sure your freezer is 0 degrees F, and you leave the base in for 24 hours, it should work perfectly.

I mix up everything but the chocolate, turn on the machine, and pour it in. After about 7 minutes, I add the shaved chocolate (put it in at the beginning, and apparently it won't be well-distributed).

After about 10 minutes total, you hear the machine auto-reverse, meaning that the it can no longer turn the paddle, and the ice cream is done.

It's amazingly good right then. If you put it in the freezer, it gets a lot harder than ice cream that you buy at the store. The trick with leftovers is to freeze small bits (e.g. 1/4 cup), and defrost them a bit when you want to eat them.

Also, some of the ice cream will be frozen to the sides of the maker. Put it in the fridge overnight, and you can add the ice cream to your waffle in the morning.

Quote:
Also, when you use splenda instead of real sugar, what precautions do I need to take so the ice cream will turn out the way it turns out when you use sugar?
I've never made it with sugar. It turns out fine with the splenda, however. I think there's some kind of splenda-adaptation that occurs, so that if you haven't used splenda much, you might notice it. It would probably be better with a combination of splenda and erythritol, but I like it fine the way it is, and don't want to risk experimenting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is the one we have:

Amazon.com: Back to Basics IC10893 1-1/2-Quart Ice-Cream Maker: Kitchen & Dining

I just noticed that there are some bad reviews there, but as long as you make sure your freezer is 0 degrees F, and you leave the base in for 24 hours, it should work perfectly.

I mix up everything but the chocolate, turn on the machine, and pour it in. After about 7 minutes, I add the shaved chocolate (put it in at the beginning, and apparently it won't be well-distributed).

After about 10 minutes total, you hear the machine auto-reverse, meaning that the it can no longer turn the paddle, and the ice cream is done.

It's amazingly good right then. If you put it in the freezer, it gets a lot harder than ice cream that you buy at the store. The trick with leftovers is to freeze small bits (e.g. 1/4 cup), and defrost them a bit when you want to eat them.

Also, some of the ice cream will be frozen to the sides of the maker. Put it in the fridge overnight, and you can add the ice cream to your waffle in the morning.

I've never made it with sugar. It turns out fine with the splenda, however. I think there's some kind of splenda-adaptation that occurs, so that if you haven't used splenda much, you might notice it. It would probably be better with a combination of splenda and erythritol, but I like it fine the way it is, and don't want to risk experimenting.
Thank you Al! I just ordered it with my Amazon gift credits.

I also ordered
3 Packs 0.5 oz - Liquid Sweetener 450 Servings/Bottle: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
I hope this was the right kind of splenda. (I saw two kinds. One is a tall bottle and this is a small bottle - supposed to be more concentrated than the bigger tall bottle.)

I did try commercial sugar free ice cream, but none of them taste very good (usually made with milk and maltitol and some other sweeteners).

My favorite has always been Haagen Dazs vanilla (My SO did a taste test for me years ago when I said Haagen Dazs was the best. I brought two other kinds of vanilla ice cream. I could tell just by looking at them which one was Haagen Dazs because of the texture... I think the other ones had guar gum or something in them - one was Ben and Jerry's and I cannot remember the other one.)

Anyway, I will definitely try this low-carb ice cream recipe of yours.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Yes that's the right sweetener but a different concentration.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #24

Al,

I got the maker, and the sweetener, so I just made the ice cream using your recipe. (I used 6 drops of Splenda with a little erythritol.). And it was very very good. Guilt free ice cream! I put the leftovers in an ice tray so I can get a small portion out without defrosting the whole thing. After-taste is there, but I couldn't tell when I was eating it, so it's all good.

Thank you again for a great low-carb recipe!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Al,

I got the maker, and the sweetener, so I just made the ice cream using your recipe. (I used 6 drops of Splenda with a little erythritol.). And it was very very good. Guilt free ice cream! I put the leftovers in an ice tray so I can get a small portion out without defrosting the whole thing. After-taste is there, but I couldn't tell when I was eating it, so it's all good.

Thank you again for a great low-carb recipe!
Glad to hear it. I was little worried after seeing so many bad reviews on Amazon.

Sometimes I think the Splenda aftertaste occurs only because a little bit is still on your teeth or lips, and you taste it later.

Next, you should buy a whipped cream whipper

(or whip by hand) and put whipped cream on top. You can make it with no sweetener at all (Whipping cream as the only ingredient), or add a few drops of Splenda and a half teaspoon of vanilla.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

And for chocolate syrup:

1.5 cup davinci syrup
.25 - .5 tsp xantham gum

Blend well with stick mixer.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Breyer's used to be my favorite. I just (last week) bought three different flavors and they are all bad. No more for me. . . ick!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #28

There is a thread over at FW discussing this issue. Someone noted that the container for some flavors no longer says ice cream, but something like frozen dairy dessert.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

"Frozen Dairy Dessert"?!?!? That sounds as inviting as "Cheese Food Product". Time to get back to "Eat Real Food".
Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
There is a thread over at FW discussing this issue. Someone noted that the container for some flavors no longer says ice cream, but something like frozen dairy dessert.
The cynic in me says that this has less to do with the ingredients, than it does with removing the ability of Joe Schmoe to file as a class lawsuit representative on behalf of the 20 million people that have purchased Breyers Ice Cream over the years, and were "intentionally mislead and injured" by thinking they were eating "cream", when in fact the actual ingredients were lowfat milk and stabilizers.