Join Early Retirement Today

Brilliant Customer Service <rant>
Old 01-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brilliant Customer Service <rant>

I have a small side business doing reselling to my former employer, so I buy a lot of stuff from a lot of companies. Mostly biggies like Apple, Dell, Amazon, B&H Photo, like that. Great companies to deal with, for the most part. But I also have to order things from smaller, newer companies, and have had various experiences with them service-wise. But this one is hitting new lows.

I ordered a couple of cutting edge gaming computers from a company called Razer. They are ~$4500 each. No big deal, business as usual. And cool! They include a free high end mini Bluetooth speaker worth $179. So I place the order and expect delivery in 3-5 business days, which is what my client wants and expects.

I got an email yesterday saying the order is delayed because the speakers are unavailable, with no expected delivery date. So the entire order is delayed indefinitely because they won't ship anything until it's all ready to go. Dumb, but fixable. Just drop the freebie from the order, and ship the actually ordered item. But it turns out it's impossible to talk to an actual human being there at Razer, unless you are calling for technical support. And those guys don't have access to the sales department. Going to sales through the VRU gets you a "send an email, and have a nice day" followed by a hang-up.

So I send the email. Each email is going to be answered within 1-2 business days. The first response is "Are you sure you want to cancel the order?" I don't, I just want the useless POS that's holding up the order removed. Well, it turns out the order can't be separated like that. I would have to cancel the order, and reorder specifying that the speaker not be included. But they won't release the hold on the credit card funds for up to two weeks. And most fun of all is that the Description field in the Customer Support email form only allows 500 characters. If you've read this far, you can see that I can't piss and moan appropriately in that few characters. I keep running out of space and having to condense.

So, I can get around this by using a different CC. I could actually use the same one (large credit line), but that would probably cause the CC company to deny the charge, what with that large a charge twice to an obscure company in a short period of time.

None of this is insurmountable, but jeez! It would be so easy to fix if I could just talk to someone. I guess since the huge majority of their customers are major gamers that never leave the basement they figure there's no reason to allow for actual human communication. And I can't even say I'll never order from them again, since I buy what my customer wants. Oh well. </rant>
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Obscure maybe, but it reminds me of my efforts to cancel a subscription on iTunes.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It sounds like pretty much every conversation I've ever had with my cable TV and internet provider.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sure you're not talking about a company with att in the name?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I got another email from them today..."Hi, I'm Keanu. I'll be glad to help resolve your problem. Please explain what it is". Uh, you couldn't tell from the other two emails I've sent? Oh well. Third times the charm, they say. I'll not be holding my breath.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why would you order 2 more when you can't get the first issue resolved. Call you credit card company and have them cancel the order for you. Better yet send an email to the BBB and that will get some action. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Why would you order 2 more when you can't get the first issue resolved. Call you credit card company and have them cancel the order for you. Better yet send an email to the BBB and that will get some action. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Because they make the item my client wants. No choice. Otherwise I'd be right there with you. Plus, the BBB is pretty much worthless. Online reviews carry a lot more weight.