Bring your State to the Party!

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay - full disclosure - I hijacked this topic from Reddit a few years back. However, I believe the members of this forum will be much more creative and informative.

So, here's the setup; FIRE.org is finally having the ultimate extended family picnic (per Dory) :greetings10:

Please bring some dish that is from your state / region / city, or country. Also, any other regional contribution. Most important, keep it lighthearted and fun. :dance:

I'll kick it off with North Carolina:

Dish - livermush (it actually tastes good, but belongs in the same health food group as bacon, sausage, etc)

Side - moonshine delivered in a Nascar vehicle at 200 MPH (turning left, of course) :D

Burnt Ends from Joe's Kansas City BBQ- and wheat whiskey from Fernweh Distilleries in Hermann.

Kentucky Fried Chicken, of course.
Wash it down with some of the world’s finest bourbon.
Derby Pie for dessert.

Gator fritters, conch chowder, grilled wahoo, and some ice cold mojitos. Key lime pie for desssert. :)

Last edited:
Mint Juleps. Particularly appropriate for this week since the Kentucky Derby is on Saturday!

Green corn tamales w/ tomatillo
Carnitas w/ fresh tortillas and guacamole
Caramel flan
Four Peaks Kilt Lifter

BBQ Pork Steaks in Maul's Sauce
Salami, and Copa from Volpi's on the Hill
Toasted ravioli
3 Bean salad
and for desert, Cannoli from Rosciglione Bakery

Beef sandwiches with peppers, Chicago style dogs, and a "Lou" from Lou Malnati's and a butter cake from Mastro's for dessert.

Grilled redfish. BBQ brisket & ribs. Fried rattlesnake. Hot chili (no beans). Hill country wine or lone star beer to wash it down.

Truthfully though, I’ll be hanging out with the Kentucky folks for my beverage of choice. Blanton’s on ice. Or if we’re feeling really lucky I’ll take Pappy’s!

A Philadelphia cheese steak and Yuengling Black & Tan from America's oldest brewery. I don't drink alcohol so I'll be bringing a jug of fresh Pennsy milk.

Colorado can bring Rocky Mountain Oysters (personally have never tried nor do I wish to consume), some locally brewed craft beer with a side of cannabis cookies. Oh never mind, this is a wholesome family gathering!:facepalm:

Oysters on the half-shell from Long Island Sound immediately offshore of my town, Milford CT.

The shad are running in the Connecticut River right now, so also sauteed shad roe and grilled shad.

Washed down with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Chamard Vineyards in Clinton CT.

or, if you don't like seafood

A hamburger from the place that invented them - Louis' Lunch in New Haven

and/or

The classic, coal-fired New Haven pizza from Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana

and a Workers Comp Farmhouse Ale from the Two Roads Brewery in Stratford CT.

Red or green chile enchiladas
Guacamole or chile con queso and tortilla chips
Biscochitos (cookies)

Last edited:
For Cincinnati, OH:

Cincinnati style chili as 3-way (spaghetti, chili, cheese), 4-way (add chopped onions or beans), or 5-way (add onions and beans)
Montgomery Inn baby back ribs
Graeter's ice cream
Hudepohl beer (old time local beer), or Christian Morlein (new beer)

For breakfast, you will need to have some goetta ("get-uh") a pork sausage with oats mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom