Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Hi Aaron. It sounds like it has been a treacherous road, but I am happy to hear that your condition has improved greatly. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately a full recovery was never a possibility. The DR said 95% is the best I could hope for and that was before I needed a second surgery. I'll be fortunate to get back to 90% in a few more months.

aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

So glad you are continuing to recover. What a long journey it has been for you.
Wishing you continued good health and improvement.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #103

Glad to hear you are doing well and healing up.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #104

I wish you well Aaron. I have been lucky, no accidents so far in my life. Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are making good progress.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I wish you well Aaron. I have been lucky, no accidents so far in my life. Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are making good progress.
I should have gotten an office job. Kind of hard to get badly injured working in an office.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #106

Aaron - glad to hear that you are well along the path to recovery. I'm sure it is painful and hard work. But glad to hear you'll be able to go back to your old work. Pay attention to your body and it's signals so you don't accidentally reinjure yourself.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The risk in office work is "repetitive strain" injuries - mostly to the hand, wrist, and neck - which can be pretty bad, but nothing like heavy falls onto concrete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I should have gotten an office job. Kind of hard to get badly injured working in an office.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #108

Quote:
Certainly, manual jobs have a higher frequency of serious injuries. But, FWIW, the most severe non-fatal injury I was ever involved with was to an office worker. She was a bank executive injured in a car accident on business. Unfortunately [to be brutally frank] she survived, but with terrible physical and brain injuries.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #109

Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN. Other options to slow the progression of the disease would be core decompression or bone graft but I would think those are just going to prolonge the pain until I need a total hip replacement anyway so why not just do that right away if I have AVN. Has anyone had any experience with core decompression and was it helpful?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I still experience discomfort in my right hip, but have been informed that it's more likely to be related to sciatica than the actual hip......probably dissimilar to your situation, but Hey, you never know......(I certainly didn't).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I still experience discomfort in my right hip, but have been informed that it's more likely to be related to sciatica than the actual hip......probably dissimilar to your situation, but Hey, you never know......(I certainly didn't).
I don't think that's the case and it was never brought up by the nurse, nurse practitioner, or doctor but i'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #112

Keep us posted Aaron. I don't have any experience what you are going through, but wish you all the best.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sad to hear this. Your suffering just goes on and on. Not sure what core decompression is, so can't advise, but I certainly hope the doctors can come up with some solution for you.

Quote:
Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN. Other options to slow the progression of the disease would be core decompression or bone graft but I would think those are just going to prolonge the pain until I need a total hip replacement anyway so why not just do that right away if I have AVN. Has anyone had any experience with core decompression and was it helpful?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #114

Quote:
Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN.
If you can't return to your physically demanding job due to this injury and your doctor can attest to it you need to hire an attorney that specializes in workers comp if you don't already have one. You will be entitled to workers compensation benefits for as long as you're unable to perform your job.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
If you can't return to your physically demanding job due to this injury and your doctor can attest to it you need to hire an attorney that specializes in workers comp if you don't already have one. You will be entitled to workers compensation benefits for as long as you're unable to perform your job.
I don't think that's accurate but i'll look into it.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Quote:
I don't think that's accurate but i'll look into it.
Yes, definitely look into it. I don't know if the worker's comp laws vary from state-to-state, but in Calif. for sure you would be entitled to worker's comp. In Calif. you don't have to use the union lawyer to represent you and you also don't have to go to your company's doctors if you don't want to. Be careful of worker's comp. attorneys and be careful of the doc he may send you to. You don't want to end up in a worker's comp. mill because then there's a good chance you won't get the medical treatment you need.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Yes, definitely look into it. I don't know if the worker's comp laws vary from state-to-state, but in Calif. for sure you would be entitled to worker's comp.
Every state in the nation has workers' comp laws protecting workers against injuries and accidents in the workplace. I don't know why the OP does not think this information is accurate but that's up to him I guess....

https://www.nfib.com/content/legal-c...parison-57181/
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #118

Aaron concentrate on getting yourself better and pain free. Probably best not to try and wrap your head around all the R and R of workman's comp.

Find a lawyer, but I agree with the advice of not mixing your lawyer and your doctor. Do any of you posters know how the lawyers get paid? Would any of that money come out of Aaron's pockets?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Aaron concentrate on getting yourself better and pain free. Probably best not to try and wrap your head around all the R and R of workman's comp.

Find a lawyer, but I agree with the advice of not mixing your lawyer and your doctor. Do any of you posters know how the lawyers get paid? Would any of that money come out of Aaron's pockets?
I think a lawyer would get 20% of whatever my settlement is. I wouldn't pay up front and they wouldn't take the case if they didn't think I would get a decent amount of money.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Aaron, I imagine you have studied this document end-to-end by now:

https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/public...c/WKC-7580.htm