Join Early Retirement Today

Broken hip and arm
Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Broken hip and arm

I had an accident at work last week Monday and suffered a displaced hip fracture and broken arm(both left). Made it thru surgery ok and spent a few days in the hospital. Now I am in a rehab facility. To make matters worse, my Dr says I will very likely need hip replacement in my 50's which means I would probably also need one in my 70's if I live that long. I would like to have my own thread but if someone would like to provide links to similar threads that would be helpful as well.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Ouch! So sorry to hear this.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear about this. From your past posts, I am guessing you still have about ten years to 50's.

I am currently debating replacement, for arthritis, at 61. When I expressed the same concern (getting another one 20-25 years later) the Doc said the 25 year life is really the low end for most patients, and that is now, in 10 years there could be vast improvements.

Hang in there.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

Wish you a speedy recovery.
What did you fall off of?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Sorry to hear about this. From your past posts, I am guessing you still have about ten years to 50's.
I'm currently 37.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Wish you a speedy recovery.
What did you fall off of?
I fell off of a stand-up forklift at my new job. About 4 feet onto cement. I guess I should feel lucky I landed on my arm and hip instead of my head. My head never touched the ground.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I fell off of a stand-up forklift at my new job. About 4 feet onto cement. I guess I should feel lucky I landed on my arm and hip instead of my head. My head never touched the ground.
Yup lucky no head shot.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry to hear about your accident , My Mom had a knee replacement at 64 and never had any problem with it . It lasted 35 years .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Aaron!!! I am so sorry to hear of your accident. Thank goodness you are in a rehab facility where they can take care of you while you heal and get better. Don't worry about your 50's and 70's right now - - just focus on getting as much better as possible so that you are in less pain and can do things again.

By the time you are in your 50's, they may have hip replacements that last longer than they do now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Aaron - best wishes on a speedy recovery!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So sorry to hear about the accident. I don't know anything about hip replacements but yoga has helped me with other types of joint problems.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #13

Aaron,

Sorry to hear of your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Who knows what medical miracles they'll have in 15-30 years...stem cells?... nanotech replacement parts?....

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #14

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your recovery is fast and comfortable.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear about your accident. At 26, as a pedestrian in a crosswalk, I was hit by a car and, among other injuries, suffered a similar hip fracture (mine was on my right side). The orthopedist who repaired my hip gave me the same warning about likely needing a hip replacement, but it will be 32 years in May with no further problem so far. Our docs are speaking generally, probabilistically; of course they don't know what will happen to us individually, decades in the future. Like W2R says, don't worry about that now. Rehab can be tough, focus on that. Good luck!
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #16

Sorry to hear about this, Aaron! That sucks!

Positive thoughts towards a good recovery.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch! Sorry to hear, but glad it was not a head hit!

I had a hip replaced at 65 years old. Piece of cake compared to a knee replacement. I was home in two days walking around the neighborhood. Easy job if done from the front (Anterior Procedure). You have a long way to go before you MIGHT need a hip.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that sucks . Agree with above to focus on getting better now and not even thinking about the possibility of a hip replacement down the road. Get those bones healed and work the rehab. Hope you feel better and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #19

I played tennis this morning on my replaced knee with a buddy who had both hips replaced last year. Don't worry about the joint replacements. It/they will work out. Focus on recovery for now.

All the best.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Hi Aaron. Sorry about the accident. I suffered fx of my pelvis through my hip joint in 1961. It healed well, and I never even had reason to remember the crash until 2013 when I started to have pain in the joint. In early 2014 I got the same procedure that Aja had, anterior hip replacement. It healed almost overnight, and I was walking without even a cane within 2 weeks.

So even if you do need a hip eventually, it may be a very long time away.

Ha