Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I dont think it can be repaired. A piece of plastic broke and several of the ball bearings fell out somewhere in their back room.

The manager told me that they would file a claim with their insurance company and "if" it was determined it was their fault, the insurance would cover it. I said there is no "if". It was fine when the bellman took it from me and it was broken when he gave it back to me. That's pretty cut and dried.

I asked to see the managers boss and the Asst General Manager came out. He agreed to pay for a cab to the airport since we couldn't roll the bag 1/2 mile to the subway station with a broken wheel. He said he would email me a claim form (which I haven't gotten yet) and we would go from there. We booked the room on Hotwire but after we got into the room we upgraded to a bigger room. The upgrade charge for 5 nights is about the same cost as the bag. They could've just comped us the upgrade charge and be done with it. I told the Asst GM that I wasnt paying the credit card bill for the upgrade until the broken bag issue was settled.

First, there is no insurance company to deal with.... this amount is way too low for them... now, you might have to deal with the insurance people with the hotel chain....

Second, I think you do not have a stand on the CC bill... the bag is a separate issue than the cost of the upgrade...

Last, were there any signs etc. that said you were responsible for luggage left there I have seen a sign once in awhile, which would give them an out.... but since the mgr never brought it up I would think not...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree I probably wouldnt win the dispute on the bill but if youve never done it, once you dispute the bill, they send you a letter to explain why you are disputing. Once they get it back, they send the merchant a letter to explain their side. If the credit card company sides with the merchant, the customer gets another chance to appeal. The point is that all of that takes a month or two. I would hope that the Hotel would do something about the broken luggage by then.

I agree that its stupid to file an insurance claim for a $150-$200 piece of luggage. I assume the hotel has a deductible? That's why I said they could've just comped the upgrade room charge and been done with the whole thing. They comp people better rooms all the time. The room was empty and it wouldn't have cost them anything to do that.

No signs about not being responsible for luggage.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Samsonite used to have several repair centers around the country. Lots of bags are cousins of samsonite. Might be able to repair cheaply. Warning--this info might be as out of date as my employment activities!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Did you pay for the bags with a credit card that offers warranty protection? Macy's can look up the receipt on their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Did you pay for the bags with a credit card that offers warranty protection? Macy's can look up the receipt on their system.

I paid cash, but I will call Macys and see what the warranty on the bag is. We've only had it for about 6 months.

Edit: Just checked their website and it say this brand has a 3 yr warranty. Lets see how this warranty service goes....
Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I paid cash, but I will call Macys and see what the warranty on the bag is. We've only had it for about 6 months.

Edit: Just checked their website and it say this brand has a 3 yr warranty. Lets see how this warranty service goes....

That's why I pay with credit cards. Most major retailers can look up a receipt by your name if you used a credit card for the purchase. Their warranty protection is just another benefit if needed, Good luck!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #27

When I say "cash", Im sure I used a debit card so I think they can still look it up. I'll find out when they open.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Another reason to buy from Costco or REI. Seattle headquartered merchants are the greatest!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Another reason to buy from Costco or REI. Seattle headquartered merchants are the greatest!
My luggage is from LL Bean. I feel like they actually own it and I get to use it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

If it was me, I'd attempt to get them to pay for the repairs but suck it up if it ended up being a huge hassle.

But I would definitely review the hotel poorly on the big travel sites, make sure to call them out for breaking the suitcase and refusing to do anything about it, and mention names in the review.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #31

Here's what happened with Macy's. I feel obligated to give the major props for customer service. I have no receipt but I know I bought 2 matching suitcases from Macy's in a suburb of Dallas about 6 months ago. I now live in Florida and went into the Coral Springs store.

The sales woman said they could look up my receipt going back 6 months if I used a card. She tried my debit card, my wife's debit card and the only credit card I was using at that time. Nothing. The manager came by and said he could look up any receipt from any time frame on the main computer. When the manager left, the sales lady showed my some better suitcases. She told me I should exchange it for a Kenneth Cole bag that was much better. I told her about the other bag I had that wouldn't match and she said they would take them both back.

The manager came back ad said he looked back to Oct 2014 and found nothing. I must've used cash because I know for a fact I bought it at Macy's in 2015.

The manager said I would have to send the broken 28" suitcase back to the manufacturer. You know how much of a hassle that would be and how long it would take to get a new one? I explained that to the manager and he sympathized. I sweet talked him for a bit and then he asked me which suitcase I wanted. I showed him the ones the sales lady told me to get. He asked how much I paid for mine and I gave him a guesstimate which was lower than they were priced now. I bought on sale.

He agreed to let me make an even exchange for both of my bags for brand new Kenneth Cole bags with 10 yr warranties! When it was all said and done I had 2 brand new super nice bags AND a $95 Macy's gift card because the new bags were on some super secret sale that started next wk. I told the manager even exchange was fine and that I wasn't trying to get over on them. He insisted that I take the gift card and that I just had to wait until next wk to pick the bags up.

So, in summary, with no proof of when I bought the bags, how much I paid, or that I even bought them from Macy's at all, they took them back and gave me better quality suitcases AND a $90 gift card. Unreal. My guess is that someone reading this will be more inclined to shop at Macys now.....and hopefully none of you will stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel in DC.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #32

Now...what to do about the Hotel that still hasnt sent me the insurance claim form they said I would receive? I will probably let it go and just pay the bill because the hassle isnt worth my time...then again, I have plenty of time now and may call them and give them hell.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #33

That's good news about Macy's response.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Super impressed with Macy's! Great outcome for you.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

What a great outcome! Kudos to Macy's!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the reasons I shop at Costco is their simple return policy. When something fails, I return it, they give me my money back, never any questions. But of course they always have a record of the purchase since it is by member number. Macy's did right by you, even though you had to dicker with them a bit, especially since they had no record of your purchase. It is always much harder to get a new customer than to keep a current one. Sounds like they want to keep their customers. Good for them.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now...what to do about the Hotel that still hasnt sent me the insurance claim form they said I would receive? I will probably let it go and just pay the bill because the hassle isnt worth my time...then again, I have plenty of time now and may call them and give them hell.
Well, I think this is what a lot of hotels and airlines hope will happen when they damage bags or anything else for that matter. You were pro-active and took care of it yourself, had to turn in the old bag, so you can't offer them the bag for exchange or fixing. You might say it's a win-win, except for the fact that Macys made right the damage done by a 3rd party.Good for Macys...

Just for the principle of it, I would probably just keep on them to see what they end up offering to do.Now, we might have to start a thread to see if it's ethical to accept something from the hotel when you have already been compensated for your damage. I don't like when places get a pass at someone else's expense.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #38

I seriously doubt I will ever hear from the hotel again if I don't stay on them. The Asst General manager said he would email me a claim form. Anyone competent would've done it, or had someone do it, right then. Two days later and I have nothing. I'm not surprised. I think I will wait a few more days and then call them and find out where my claim form is.

Would it be ethical of me to accept a couple nights free stay if they offered?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Would it be ethical of me to accept a couple nights free stay if they offered?
At this point I would say no. You have been made whole and then some even it it was Macy's that did it.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's good news about Macy's response.
Unless you are a Macy's shareholder... it seems to me that Macy's response was overly generous.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote