Broken luggage...what would you do?

I paid cash, but I will call Macys and see what the warranty on the bag is. We've only had it for about 6 months.

Edit: Just checked their website and it say this brand has a 3 yr warranty. Lets see how this warranty service goes....

That's why I pay with credit cards. Most major retailers can look up a receipt by your name if you used a credit card for the purchase. Their warranty protection is just another benefit if needed, Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

When I say "cash", Im sure I used a debit card so I think they can still look it up. I'll find out when they open.

Another reason to buy from Costco or REI. Seattle headquartered merchants are the greatest!

Another reason to buy from Costco or REI. Seattle headquartered merchants are the greatest!
My luggage is from LL Bean. I feel like they actually own it and I get to use it.

If it was me, I'd attempt to get them to pay for the repairs but suck it up if it ended up being a huge hassle.

But I would definitely review the hotel poorly on the big travel sites, make sure to call them out for breaking the suitcase and refusing to do anything about it, and mention names in the review.

Here's what happened with Macy's. I feel obligated to give the major props for customer service. I have no receipt but I know I bought 2 matching suitcases from Macy's in a suburb of Dallas about 6 months ago. I now live in Florida and went into the Coral Springs store.

The sales woman said they could look up my receipt going back 6 months if I used a card. She tried my debit card, my wife's debit card and the only credit card I was using at that time. Nothing. The manager came by and said he could look up any receipt from any time frame on the main computer. When the manager left, the sales lady showed my some better suitcases. She told me I should exchange it for a Kenneth Cole bag that was much better. I told her about the other bag I had that wouldn't match and she said they would take them both back.

The manager came back ad said he looked back to Oct 2014 and found nothing. I must've used cash because I know for a fact I bought it at Macy's in 2015.

The manager said I would have to send the broken 28" suitcase back to the manufacturer. You know how much of a hassle that would be and how long it would take to get a new one? I explained that to the manager and he sympathized. I sweet talked him for a bit and then he asked me which suitcase I wanted. I showed him the ones the sales lady told me to get. He asked how much I paid for mine and I gave him a guesstimate which was lower than they were priced now. I bought on sale.

He agreed to let me make an even exchange for both of my bags for brand new Kenneth Cole bags with 10 yr warranties! When it was all said and done I had 2 brand new super nice bags AND a $95 Macy's gift card because the new bags were on some super secret sale that started next wk. I told the manager even exchange was fine and that I wasn't trying to get over on them. He insisted that I take the gift card and that I just had to wait until next wk to pick the bags up.

So, in summary, with no proof of when I bought the bags, how much I paid, or that I even bought them from Macy's at all, they took them back and gave me better quality suitcases AND a $90 gift card. Unreal. My guess is that someone reading this will be more inclined to shop at Macys now.....and hopefully none of you will stay at the Washington Plaza Hotel in DC.

Last edited:
Now...what to do about the Hotel that still hasnt sent me the insurance claim form they said I would receive? I will probably let it go and just pay the bill because the hassle isnt worth my time...then again, I have plenty of time now and may call them and give them hell.

That's good news about Macy's response.

What a great outcome! Kudos to Macy's!

One of the reasons I shop at Costco is their simple return policy. When something fails, I return it, they give me my money back, never any questions. But of course they always have a record of the purchase since it is by member number. Macy's did right by you, even though you had to dicker with them a bit, especially since they had no record of your purchase. It is always much harder to get a new customer than to keep a current one. Sounds like they want to keep their customers. Good for them.

Now...what to do about the Hotel that still hasnt sent me the insurance claim form they said I would receive? I will probably let it go and just pay the bill because the hassle isnt worth my time...then again, I have plenty of time now and may call them and give them hell.

Well, I think this is what a lot of hotels and airlines hope will happen when they damage bags or anything else for that matter. You were pro-active and took care of it yourself, had to turn in the old bag, so you can't offer them the bag for exchange or fixing. You might say it's a win-win, except for the fact that Macys made right the damage done by a 3rd party.Good for Macys...

Just for the principle of it, I would probably just keep on them to see what they end up offering to do.Now, we might have to start a thread to see if it's ethical to accept something from the hotel when you have already been compensated for your damage.:) I don't like when places get a pass at someone else's expense.

I seriously doubt I will ever hear from the hotel again if I don't stay on them. The Asst General manager said he would email me a claim form. Anyone competent would've done it, or had someone do it, right then. Two days later and I have nothing. I'm not surprised. I think I will wait a few more days and then call them and find out where my claim form is.

Would it be ethical of me to accept a couple nights free stay if they offered?

Unless you are a Macy's shareholder... it seems to me that Macy's response was overly generous.

They might have some info on that particular bag... maybe a good number of people have come back and complained... if so, they might have come to an agreement with the bag maker... it seems like it still had warranty left on it...

As an example, I have Michelin tires that I bought with a 90K warranty... I now have 30K miles on them and the tire store said they have maybe 10K left... I said WHAT?!.... the manager said that Michelin knows that the tire is not lasting as long as thought it would here in Texas... do not know why here is different, but he said I would get reimbursed for the amount not used and I could use it on any tire....

Back
Top Bottom