Broken Windshield-Insurance Scam

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got hit by a flying rock on the freeway a few days ago, so I have made a few inquiries trying to find a [-]cheap[/-] reasonably priced windshield replacement for my old LBYM truck;)

What a bunch of scam artists!

Nearly all the the places I called; first question asked: "Do you have insurance?" When I replied "yes" (but didn't say whether I was going to be using it...;)) they offered to replace the windshield "for free" , and compensate me for bringing it in to their shop- to the tune of $100-200 in cash, Omaha Steaks, airline tickets, an all-inclusive family vacation, Visa Gift Cards, etc. One guy asked if I needed new tires:confused: All they needed was my insurance information...

One prominent local (National Company) shop advertises "Call today and find out just how much your broken windshied is worth!" (it's a broken windshield- it isn't worth anything, technically it is a liability, not an asset:rolleyes:) They openly promise "free cash" for the repair. Fixed in less than a hour and you walk out with at least $100 in cash! Also claim to be a member of the BBB and green and earth-friendly...

When I tell them I might be paying in cash, they offer to do it for much less than what they will be billing my insurance company, in some cases less than what they will give me in cash to for letting them do the repair. One guy got indignant and acted like it was unpatriotic to consider paying it out of pocket and not be complicit in his plan to bilk my insurance company for an overpriced windshield. "Dude, everyone does it and it's legal" To me, it's another example of the entitlement mentality that is starting to gain momentum in our society- don't pay your mortgage, walk away from your credit card debt, screw your insurance company, just check your ethics at the door..and leave your fellow citiizens to pick up your tab...... :(

How do these windshield scammers get away with such blatant rip-offs? IMO, this is nothing more than insurance fraud, which costs everyone money. If they can replace the windshield for $150, fine, but don't try to stiff my insurance company for $500 and give me $200 of it...

Rant over.:mad:

Got hit by a flying rock on the freeway a few days ago, so I have made a few inquiries trying to find a [-]cheap[/-] reasonably priced windshield replacement for my old LBYM truck
Go to the auto supply store and get a kit for, oh $10-15 bucks I think, and do it yourself. It's about the easiest DIY car repair around.
One guy got indignant and acted like it was unpatriotic to consider paying it out of pocket and not be complicit in his plan to bilk my insurance company for an overpriced windshield. "Dude, everyone does it and it's legal"
I get my vehicles' oil changes done at a place that also has a full-service car wash, and they added windshield repair to their repertoire a few years ago. It was almost a fight to get the guy off me so I could go into the AC while they washed my car. Apparently on his planet, the words "No thanks, I'm not interested" actually mean: "I'm on the bubble here, go for it, give me your best high-pressure sales-pitch!"

Now, the $64,000 question is, why do the insurance companies go along with this garbage?

I've dealt with the high honchos in most of the big national companies on things they could do to discourage organized vehicle thefts. It was like talking to a wall. Ultimately I just went to the media and tipped them to the deal and the day after the stories started appearing I stared getting some action. As long as they're making money I think they're okay with being stupid.

Your story brought up a memory for me. Years ago, I was suffering from chronic pain. I was willing to try anything that would give me some relief. I was informed about a bio tens unit (electro-therapy). I gave it my best shot and used it for a while. Unfortunately, it did not help at all.

I called the guy that supplied the bio tens and told him I could not use the unit as it had no effect on me, so I needed to return it. He said "Why? Your insurance pays for it." I said, "Yes, I know, but the unit doesn't help me." He said he would come to my home in a few days and pick it up. He didn't show.

I called him again and told him he needed to get the unit. He said, "Why?"

I said, "I told you it doesn't work for me." His reply, "but you don't seem to understand...your insurance pays for it."

I said, "Do I have to come to your office to return this device? I will, but believe me you do NOT want me in your office right now." :mad:

He came to my home and picked it up later that afternoon.

We've talked about the Medicare electric wheelchair scam before, but right now I'm living it. My FIL died a year ago and MIL has asked me to sell the electric wheelchair that Medicare gave him. Although Medicare paid over $4000 for this thing and it is like new, it is essentially worthless - who buys what they can get for free? I have it listed on Craigslist, but there are many listed there - some for as little as $200. A logical person would ask why the government doesn't take these back when the owners die, dust them off and install a new battery and recycle them.

A lot of comprehensive auto insurance policies have zero deductible on the glass, even if the deductible is $500 or $1000 on body damage. I've used it several times before. Never gotten any kickbacks or bribes from the glass company--that's a new one for me.

Go to the auto supply store and get a kit for, oh $10-15 bucks I think, and do it yourself.

A little too late for that- the chip turned into a foot-long crack as I drove home, now it has started cracking in the opposite direction, too. Definitely need a new windshield; I am holding out for a box of filet mignons and a new Rolex, though...:rolleyes:

Apparently this is a big problem is Arizona.

Arizona Auto Glass Fraud Bill Passes State Senate 28-0

I don't understand why this law was passed. Isn't insurance fraud already illegal in AZ? Is insurance fraud on windshields different from any other insurance fraud?

The legislation identifies the following items as illegal:

* To submit a false claim ....
* To advise a policyholder to "falsify the date of damage ....
* To misrepresent the price of the repairs or replacement being billed to an insurer,....
* To advise a customer that the work will be paid entirely by his/her insurer "unless the insurance coverage has been verified ....
* To add to the damage of the auto glass prior to the work being done....
* To perform work "clearly and substantially beyond the level of work necessary...

-ERD50

We've talked about the Medicare electric wheelchair scam before, but right now I'm living it. My FIL died a year ago and MIL has asked me to sell the electric wheelchair that Medicare gave him. Although Medicare paid over $4000 for this thing and it is like new, it is essentially worthless - who buys what they can get for free? I have it listed on Craigslist, but there are many listed there - some for as little as $200. A logical person would ask why the government doesn't take these back when the owners die, dust them off and install a new battery and recycle them.

It doesn't have to be like this. My mother had a personal alarm supplied by her local health authority (in Ireland). It saved her life on two occasions. After she died I returned it. They thanked me gratefully, indicated it would be reconditioned and given to another elderly person.

Donate it to your local American Legion or VFW or similar.

Donate it to your local American Legion or VFW or similar.

I think this is where it will end up. Right now MIL thinks she can get something for it, so I'm going through the motions. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom