Broken wrist biking

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I accompanied my wife on a trip to a conference in Vail. All went well on our stop off in Steamboat at my sister's house. Nice hikes, good biking on nice trails with decent bikes. In Vail. however, I decided to ride the gondola up and give mountain biking a try. The first two runs were fine - I stayed on easy to low intermediate trails and kept well in control. On the final run I hit a deep rut or something while braking and went over the falls. I ended up with two breaks in my left wrist which will keep me out of action for a couple of months. I guess it is some compensation that they are hot months lousy for biking in DC. The worst part of the incident was getting down the mountain with a next to useless left hand

Bummer! I hope you're right handed. Get well soon, but don't try to rush the recovery.

Sorry to hear of your injury, Don. Wrists can take a long time, so be good.

Here's to a quick recovery. Glad you can still type.

Wow-Sorry to hear this. I hope it mends completely for you! Take care.

Sorry to hear of your injury, Don. Wrists can take a long time, so be good.

Here's to a quick recovery. Glad you can still type.
Typing is a chore but I am managing OK. On Thursday I start a new semester in my volunteer gig - teaching low income immigrants basic computing skills. I guess I will be pretty slow on the keyboard :)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury. Hope it heals quickly!

I hope that you recover quickly Mr. donheff. I'm still rebuilding the damage I did to myself last October.

Reminds me of my wrist break several years ago. I had just completed a golf lesson and was hitting the ball better than ever. As I was on the practice putting green, a couple of buddies came along and asked me to play 9 holes with them. I was walking(back when I was young a foolish) and they were in a cart. So to speed things up I jumped on the back of their cart, holding on with one hand and drinking a health beverage with the other.:cool: I'm sure you can figure out the rest of the story. Knocked me out of golf from May through August.:(

Every time someone asked how I broke it, I told them it was a sports related injury. :LOL:

ouch. was just thinking other day that i hand't, um, i mean, hadn't seen you post in a while. mtn biking can be trickier than most people imagine. when i first started on single track i did an endover that sent me flying about 15 feet. now when i do a technical ride i put on so much protective gear that i look like darth vader.

good luck in your recovery. i'm sure this is one part of riding a bicycle that you'll be glad to forget.

I broke my wrist mountain biking July 2002 so you have my complete sympathy. It makes a better story than saying that you broke it falling up a flight of stairs.

I would recommend the glow in the dark cast.

Be sure to get physical therapy to make sure you don't have residual stiffness.

spncity <--- voice of experience

ouch. was just thinking other day that i hand't, um, i mean, hadn't seen you post in a while.
The low posting rate is unrelated. The old forum software allowed my to skim through all posts and replies using my rss reader. So I would monitor posts whose subjects wouldn't otherwise attract me and eventually get drawn in by a compelling [-]rant[/-] ur post. Now I only see initial posts so I rarely get drawn in.

i tried he new posts feature but it just doesn't work for me.

a skimmer huh. so you'll have good reading during your recovery i'm ordering you the cliffnotes version of the early retirement forum.

I broke my wrist riding in a criterium 15 years ago. We were in a big pack going about 30 mph when the guy next to me overlapped his teammates wheel and lost it, taking about 8 of us down with him.

One guy broke a collarbone, there was plenty of road rash, lots of swearing. I tried to get on the bike again, but my right hand wouldn't work. As luck would have it, my sister was an official at the race, and she came over to see if we needed ambulances. She took one look at my wrist and ordered an ambulance on the walkie-talkie for the broken collarbone guy and I to share.........:D

Back
Top Bottom