Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
MIL was a career smoker but suddenly when she was 88 she stopped. She would not say why (a proud lady), but we saw evidence that she fell asleep in her chair in front of the TV and our forensic analysis concluded that she was scared shiteless about being immolated.

Five years later she died of lung cancer.

(She used to be forced out on our patio even in the winter to smoke. I had sympathy for her but DW was adamant.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
The really crazy bit is that during his 3 weeks in hospital, he wouldn't have been able to smoke at all. By the time he was discharged, the nicotine withdrawal symptoms would have largely subsided. For anybody who genuinely wanted to quit but couldn't get past the detox, this should have been a blessing in disguise. But he didn't, so it wasn't.
I was wondering about this. Assuming he wasn't able to walk at all, or get around in a wheelchair by himself, this would be true.

Many years ago, I was hospitalized for multiple weeks (not related to smoking, it was a surgical error that turned out outpatient surgery into a long mess). I went in as a smoker, left as a non-smoker. Part of the reason that "took" was seeing other patients who were able to get outside in their wheelchairs or with crutches, dragging along their poles for whatever (oxygen, meds, food), so they could squeeze out a few minutes with a cigarette.

I knew if that I didn't quit then, I might never. So I did.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
He was in the hospital for three weeks? He must have been at death's door. What was he in for?
Not necessarily. But the reason he was kicked out after 3 weeks is that the Medicare (and possibly other insurances) would not pay the hospital beyond 3 weeks for almost all treatments san few.
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Also, no smoking. Period. It slows the recovery process.
I'm assuming his cigarette supply is replenished by you or DW. That's easy to fix!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
The really crazy bit is that during his 3 weeks in hospital, he wouldn't have been able to smoke at all. By the time he was discharged, the nicotine withdrawal symptoms would have largely subsided. For anybody who genuinely wanted to quit but couldn't get past the detox, this should have been a blessing in disguise. But he didn't, so it wasn't.
They apply nicotine patches in the hospital. Get him a box of patches or nicotine gum at Costco. Expensive but cheaper than cigarettes.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

The OP should be commended for selflessness.

As part of that if he needed to vent here, fine by me.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Saga continues...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #87

The Saga continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I'm assuming his cigarette supply is replenished by you or DW. That's easy to fix!
Neither DW nor I will furnish cigarettes. But other visitors cycle through Casa Mdlerth, including some who are smokers themselves. One can make things foolproof, but not damnfoolproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
They apply nicotine patches in the hospital. Get him a box of patches or nicotine gum at Costco. Expensive but cheaper than cigarettes.
He's on Chantix now. We'll see what happens, but don't hold your breath. A few years ago, he underwent vascular surgery which similarly kept him in a vice-free environment. He emerged from that a changed man, full of resolutions. Turned out, he was full of something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
The OP should be commended for selflessness.
I dunno. If I were truly selfless, I wouldn't be praying so hard for July 19th to come faster!

Quote:
As part of that if he needed to vent here, fine by me.
Thank you for understanding! This forum is a nice relief valve for a host of concerns, and I intend to keep using it for mine. It does help.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #88

Mdlerth: I've been in a similar situation. An honest blow up is needed. Set the ground rules and stick to them or you will be in a straight jacket. No need for threats, but charity only goes so far. My DB is now in a comfortable AirBNB that he is renting for 4 months. He is close by for emergencies, I will take him to the grocery store or pharmacy-whatever. I 100% would not allow smoking in my house. He lived with us for almost 3 months (off and on). If you back down, you become the victim. Don't be a martyr out of guilt.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Brother's Keeper?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Brother's Keeper?

I never figured out why a relative would have more "rights" than a friend. I don't have much family and those I have I don't interact with. No loss for them or me.

I would NEVER take this sponge in because I know it would be a battle getting him out. but if you have taken him in, I hope you have an exit plan. I bet your wife does.
Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskem View Post
I never figured out why a relative would have more "rights" than a friend. I don't have much family and those I have I don't interact with. No loss for them or me.

Heck, my family is difficult, but I still love them (most of the time), and I still like and trust my closest friends better than my family! We named two of my friends contingent guardians and trustees in our will/trust, no one on my side of the family is named.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I don’t see the issue with letting people smoke outside.
Smokers stink when they come inside after smoking! We made SIL go to the end of the driveway when he and step-daughter visited. No chance of smoke wafting in the door or hanging around until we walked outside. But he stunk when he came back inside. Neighbors on both sides of us smoke and it bugs me to no end when I can smell their cigarette smoke in the screened pool area out back or in the front yard. It seems to take only a few molecules of cigarette smoke to stink up a wide area.

Cigarettes killed my mother and I despise them.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #92
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been in this situation myself with a SIL and her two young daughters. In addition, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I look for opportunities to help people. But I have conditions. There are 2 extreme ways people often deal with people in trouble. The 1st is throwing them a Bible tract that says, "Jesus Saves" while they are starving in a ditch, and then you walk away. The other extreme is giving people money and chances to 'infinity and beyond'. Both are bad as most of us know. In the end, I always give people at least one chance. Maybe more but after you do it enough times, you know by their attitude and their character when to quit. My litmus test in general is help one time and then if they don't make any attempt at being self-reliant and responsible, you leave it to God. Any other course sucks you and your family in and toward possible harm yourselves. Pray. Just pray and let God fix it. He'll do it far better than you or I can.
MultiEventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is a thin line between being a helper and being an enabler.

Aside from being a total jerk, it sounds like he has the mental capability to control his own actions but just doesn't bother. Tell him what you expect, make the conditions fair but firm, and get rid of him if he won't comply. Keeping in mind that you will want to talk with an attorney before forcibly evicting him.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Keeping in mind that you will want to talk with an attorney before forcibly evicting him.
There is that to consider. State and local laws vary widely on that, so a local law may apply even though rent is not being paid. Where we used to live "paying rent" was one of the crucial elements of a tenant/landlord relationship, but that was in Maryland. I'm sure other states may be different.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #95

Always look on the bright side:
Old 06-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

^ Love it!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm free. I'm free, and freedom tastes of reality
Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #97

I'm free. I'm free, and freedom tastes of reality

The Lord works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform.

Sheridan had an appointment last week with the doctor. Doc says "You're not healing as fast as you ought. There appears to be some sort of infection. I'm having you re-admitted to hospital for treatment."

Unwelcome news for my house-guest, but welcome news for me. Sheridan is the hospital's problem for a few days, and upon release he will once again pursue his recuperation with a nearer relative than me.

DW welcomed the news even more than I did. My late father once dubbed Sheridan "Sir Clod". Two weeks ago Sheridan proved the accuracy of that appellation when he clumsily tumbled backward into DW, causing her to fall and sprain her knee. Result: I now had TWO people on crutches.

I think that was the event which triggered divine intervention in the form of inserting a minor microbe into Sheridan's leg. He'll be all right; the hospital will pump him full of penicillin and he'll be clean again by tomorrow. But he'll also be treated to their inhospitality (as he sees it) for a bit. Maybe it will build his character.

Karma is a bey*tch. It never seems to come as early as we'd like. But when it does, it can be pretty funny.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #98

Congratulations!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Great news!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #100

How is poor DW's knee?