Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
RIT, as a medical professional, you should be well aware of the proper course of treatment for minor scrapes and abrasions:
There's a blonde joke hidden in that picture somewhere

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
So Rich, can't you just paint on a little rustoleum or something and leave the dent be for now? Seems like you will get a lot of those little suckers over the RV's life. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to spruce them all up at once before you sell?
Dunno. It can get hard to match color and decals as time passes, I'm told. Little scratches and scars I could wait on, but the cargo door might leak in a heavy rain if it doesn't fit quite right from the dent, etc.

I haven't put in a claim on a vehicle policy in 44 years of driving. Maybe I'm due.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
RIT, as a medical professional, you should be well aware of the proper course of treatment for minor scrapes and abrasions:
Great idea.

That bandaid thing isn't bad, either.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Dunno. It can get hard to match color and decals as time passes, I'm told. Little scratches and scars I could wait on, but the cargo door might leak in a heavy rain if it doesn't fit quite right from the dent, etc.
I agree to get it done now - you could end up having some "issues" with your insurance company if you delay for too long.

As to the likelyhood of further major dings, dents and scrapes in the future, the possibility they will occur is far from certain. My rig is coming up on its ninth birthday and has only one moderate ding where the original owner had a run-in with a tree limb and indented a small section of the metal cap joining the roof and sidewall. He never had it repaired and I haven't bothered to do so either as it is 1) not very visible, 2) aluminum and not going to rust, and 3) an ongoing reminder of what can happen if you don't look both up and back when moving in reverse.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I haven't put in a claim on a vehicle policy in 44 years of driving. Maybe I'm due.
Yeah, Rich - I'd go ahead and get it fixed if it were me. Yes - you are due!

I almost killed my DH a couple of years ago. We were at the factory for service and DH pointed out several of the RVs with their dented cargo bay doors and said "Wow, look honey, you haven't made any of those booboos!". Then he saw the murder in my eyes when I glared at him. I'm superstitious when it comes to tempting fate!!!! It's just a matter of time. We do have a few scratches, however and some very near misses in spite of extreme vigilance. It really can't be helped.

Audrey
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ouch.

Did they raise your premiums?
Nope. It had no effect. It has been my only accident claim. Our insurance is Progressive and I have been very happy with them.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, Rich - I'd go ahead and get it fixed if it were me. Yes - you are due!
I'm superstitious when it comes to tempting fate!!!! It's just a matter of time.

Audrey
Whenever I would hear about people driving their vehicles in their pajamas, I would always say that I would never do that because I would be sure to be in an accident. Well, one time I drove with my pajamas on and guess who was in a car accident. It was the only car accident that was my fault and I think that my subconcious mind thought that I should be in one.

Sorry to hear of your accident Rich. I am glad to hear that you had such a great time in the Keys and that your retiree date is getting so close!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It really can't be helped.
If you said that in the military, then every time you maneuvered in a parking lot or a campsite you'd find yourself standing by a corner of the RV holding marshal's batons and helping the driver to avoid collisions & safety hazards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flight line marshals.jpg (134.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich, I made a similar turn into a small gas station pump stand hauling my TrailManor. (I believe you owned one a while back.) Similar size piller of about 3' took out my rear side window! (It's a fold down.) Thankfully, I was able to replace the glass myself with the help of the wife and a lot of swearing. Ah, the life of leisure.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude View Post
I was able to replace the glass myself with the help of the wife and a lot of swearing.
E-dude, I'm guessing she was once in the Navy?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
E-dude, I'm guessing she was once in the Navy?
No, she just hangs around me when I do any repair work. Picks it up fast.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you said that in the military, then every time you maneuvered in a parking lot or a campsite you'd find yourself standing by a corner of the RV holding marshal's batons and helping the driver to avoid collisions & safety hazards...
Hey - that's exactly how it happens on our team! DH is always hops outside with walkie-talkie and circles the RV before we maneuver into a tight situation to spot issues and give directions (mostly hand signals). Especially when backing into a campsite! Yes - he is always at one of the corners, and if I can't see him, I stop until I can.

Visibility is just not that good from inside a large RV.

Audrey

P.S. Maybe I need to order him some lighted batons! It would really give the other RVers a great laugh!!!! Can't believe I haven't seen that yet.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude View Post
Rich, I made a similar turn into a small gas station pump stand hauling my TrailManor. (I believe you owned one a while back.) Similar size piller of about 3' took out my rear side window! (It's a fold down.) Thankfully, I was able to replace the glass myself with the help of the wife and a lot of swearing. Ah, the life of leisure.
Yep, the TrailManor was traded in (actually sold privately) as part of paying for the motor home. Loved it - performed exactly as advertised.

Generally I find driving the motorhome to be a little easier than the TrailManor esp when backing up. But in forward turns, the trailer has a tendency to lag out a bit toward the outside tires before moving into the turn (or at least it felt that way). With a Class A, when turning, the whole vehicle aft of the rear tires immediately caves toward the direction of the turn. No slack there. I'm gonna do some parking lot work with a pylon or two next time I'm taking the RV for a ride.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #74

Quote:
P.S. Maybe I need to order him some lighted batons! It would really give the other RVers a great laugh!!!! Can't believe I haven't seen that yet.
Next time you are at the airport have him watch the signals/lighted batons used by the ground crew as they guide a plane to the gate.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Motorhome in its premorbid state:
rv.jpg

Here's what your fee gets you:
site.jpg

Not child-friendly here:
sign.jpg

Damage pics next...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

These are from the driver's side:

dent1.jpg

dent2.jpg

Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #77

Yeah, that smarts...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Whaaaattt!!! That's barely noticeable!

Audrey

P.S. Were you parking on sand? I hope you gave your rig a good hose down - especially the chrome.

Audrey
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Next time you are at the airport have him watch the signals/lighted batons used by the ground crew as they guide a plane to the gate.
Yeah - I already figured out I could get the instructions off the internet. We also need to get a headset with earmuffs/microphone.

Audrey
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #80

Don't forget the orange vest...