Join Early Retirement Today

Bruised my RV and my pride...
Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Bruised my RV and my pride...

Great week in Key West at a beautiful campground. On the way home we decided to fill 'er up and ended up turning into a Mom and Pop gas station right off of Hwy 1. Unnoticeable until after you start to turn, there was a quick jog right, then left into a very narrow aisle for the row of gas pumps. It's a 36' motorhome.

A 24" concrete pillar just before the pumps failed to attract my attention in time, and I cut the corner too sharply at like 1 mph, scraping the access door to one of the "basement" compartments, along with an adjacent panel over the AC intake grill. That sound of metal scraping concrete is not my favorite. Left a nice scrape mark and a 1" dent.

Well, cosmetic only, but I am sure it will cost a couple of thousand to repair (over months) so we filed a claim on our $500 deductible policy.

Bad ending to a great trip, and in perspective no big thing -- just embarrassed and pissed at myself for my mistake.

We did have a great week and got to some off-the-beaten-path hangouts, walked for miles, and had plenty of time to contemplate my upcoming ESR now just about 3 weeks away.

Today I'm going out to look at trading in my car (unable to be towed) for a towable replacement to pull behind the RV.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bummer. Expensive fill up! I wonder whether the design standards for major oil company gas stations differ from the Mom & Pop ones?

Best but it down to experience, and look forward to 100% ESR!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel your pain.

The first trip in our new RV, tore a hole 20 foot long in the rubber roof. It was a space we had used several times before with a smaller RV.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Bad luck Rich - but it sounds like you had a good overall experience.

Is it your Prius that can't be towed?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich, why not leave it that way, so the next one doesn't matter so much?

There's nothing to prove in this ESR life.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rich - ouch!

I'm semi-paranoid about access to fuel stops, constantly on the lookout for locations with pay-at-the-pump diesel and access for our 40' rig. That's the only way I can take advantage of the 5% discount offered on our PenFed Visa card. Those places do exist but I have to search.

The things the cheap @ss LBYM voice in my head makes me do...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ouch, Rich! Man, I would be mad with myself too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

I do not believe I am vain and care that much about physical appearances, not even myself leave alone my "stuff". But I can be annal about something like this. I normally do not wash my cars, and in the last few years, only rinse them off with a hose. However, I absolutely hate dents!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is it your Prius that can't be towed?
Right - it's the continuously variable transmission, among other reasons.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope, never did nothin like that, except for the time I carefully assembled the bike rack and mounted two bicycles on my Honda Civic wagon and backed out of my very own car port which the bikes did not clear

And never drove with the parking brake on either, honest
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I do not believe I am vain and care that much about physical appearances, not even myself leave alone my "stuff". But I can be annal about something like this. I normally do not wash my cars, and in the last few years, only rinse them off with a hose. However, I absolutely hate dents!
You're talking to a girl with a $5,000 deductible and a $5,000 I Bond. A lot of things won't matter, and I tend to laugh anyway.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of things won't matter...
You are absolutely right! That's why I admit that I was being annal. But I am human, and humans do not always listen to reasons, and not even their own.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oh that really stinks! I've only driven the MH into a "regular" gas station twice, when I had no other option, and it was really scary each time and I had to be oh, so careful! I usually go for the truck pumps.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Right - it's the continuously variable transmission, among other reasons.
Gotcha - you could use a dolly that many use that have the front wheels lifted, but then maybe the rear bumper would be too low to the ground etc.

Quote:

If I was in the same position I would have it repaired for macho reasons. Nothing says "I am a cr*p driver!!" more than a big scrape down the side

Of course, last year when DW's bumper was scraped on the back of HER car, I was quite happy to take the insurance payout from the other guy's insurance and leave the scratches visible. "What's the point hinny, it won't rust and it'll only happen again sometime"
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Great week in Key West at a beautiful campground.
So which campground did you stay at? (I believe I misunderstood your other thread -- I was thinking something completely different when you said "Resort.")

Anyway, I come down on the side of those advising you to ignore the damage -- unless rust is a concern. I would repair it only if it improves the resale value and, even then, only at the time you decide to dispose of it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Gotcha - you could use a dolly that many use that have the front wheels lifted, but then maybe the rear bumper would be too low to the ground etc.
Alan, although a lot of RVers use a tow dolly for vehicles that cannot be towed "four down", dollies can be a PITA once you get to your destination. Many RV spots have very limited parking space and man (or woman) - handling the dolly to store it can be a real chore.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Alan, although a lot of RVers use a tow dolly for vehicles that cannot be towed "four down", dollies can be a PITA once you get to your destination. Many RV spots have very limited parking space and man (or woman) - handling the dolly to store it can be a real chore.
I figured there'd be a good reason. I just know that I'd seen some with a dolly on the roads. As you can guess, I'm not an RV'er
Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
As you can guess, I'm not an RV'er
Stick around - we'll convert you just like we did NW-Bound...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Stick around - we'll convert you just like we did NW-Bound...
I don't like the thought of getting too familiar with my own sewage - don't you have to pump out waste tanks and if you don't the correct toilet paper thay can get clogged

Some friends went long boating in France for a month a few years ago, living on the boat and cruising the canals. (RVing on the water). After a few days they asked at a lock about where to pump out their waste tank and the guy said "You don't have a waste tank, have you not noticed that the toilet works better when you are moving". "But what about EU pollution regulations?", they asked. They got the Gallic Shrug and the reply, "The government doesn't provide any disposal facilities so boats aren't made with waste tanks". (sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread)

PS - Belgium is even worse for water quality
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't like the thought of getting too familiar with my own sewage - don't you have to pump out waste tanks and if you don't the correct toilet paper thay can get clogged
The secret is not to use any toilet paper...

Actually, any sort of TP works fine as long as you have plenty of water (or other liquid) in your black tank. And we don't "pump" them out, we merely drain them and allow gravity to do its thing.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
The secret is not to use any toilet paper...

Actually, any sort of TP works fine as long as you have plenty of water (or other liquid) in your black tank. And we don't "pump" them out, we merely drain them and allow gravity to do its thing.
I'll take your word for it