Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket List Splurge--Anyone done this?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bucket List Splurge--Anyone done this?

Until recently I didn't know this was available to mere mortals; now I'm really tempted to go for a zero gravity experience.

Anybody tried it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope, nearest thing I've done was a simulated skydiving at an indoor skydiving place in Vegas.
a lot of fun
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Until recently I didn't know this was available to mere mortals; now I'm really tempted to go for a zero gravity experience.

Anybody tried it?
IMO no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money to ride on the Vomit Comet.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

I haven't done anything like that but I did experience periods of weightlessness in a Citabria and a Decathlon during some acrobatic training. The periods of weightlessness were more like 5-10 seconds as I remember, it was quite a while ago. And we stayed strapped in.

One part I do remember was pulling up from the dive and going ballistic, and dropping a pencil in front of me, then flying the airplane around the now-weightless pencil. I was surprised that control could be that precise.

And even now renting a single-engine airplane with an instructor would be a lot cheaper than $5k. It does look like it'd be a lot of fun!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yea, you could get a private pilot license for about 5k. All the weightlessness you can handle.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

A surfer friend that I see most mornings on my beach walks is working on a printer for the space station. He was super bummed that he didn't get to go on the vomit comet when they tested it. I guess paper feeds work different without gravity LOL.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
IMO no one in their right mind would pay that kind of money to ride on the Vomit Comet.

Haven't been in my "right" mind for years! Where's the fun in that?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I haven't done anything like that but I did experience periods of weightlessness in a Citabria and a Decathlon during some acrobatic training. The periods of weightlessness were more like 5-10 seconds as I remember, it was quite a while ago. And we stayed strapped in.

One part I do remember was pulling up from the dive and going ballistic, and dropping a pencil in front of me, then flying the airplane around the now-weightless pencil. I was surprised that control could be that precise.

And even now renting a single-engine airplane with an instructor would be a lot cheaper than $5k. It does look like it'd be a lot of fun!
Yeah, I was a pilot for years, SEL, IR, had some aerobatics & some adventurous trips, float plane instruction & a flight in a Stearman. All good, but this something else.

Hey, I did say "bucket list" and "splurge"!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Blow that dough!

Oh wait, market corrected. Never mind.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did a zero G flight for my 40th bday. Usually you can get it for $3k (instead of stated price $5k) if you wait for specials. It was fun, but questionably worth the cost vs things like skydiving and bungee jumping that cost $200. But zero g definitely whet my appetite for going into space in a few years.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always wanted to do that, since reading about it at 8 years old. I knew it was commercially available but not the cost. I'd consider it.

However, DW thinks she'd rather spend two days in an airplane to go sit someplace where everyone vomits cause they don't understand how to drink.

Maybe time for separate vacations.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Yea, you could get a private pilot license for about 5k. All the weightlessness you can handle.
Don't even have to go all the way to a pilots license ask for some stall training, you can experience it. (It is part of learning how to land as a landing is done at close to stall speed) I did this at about 6 hours in to taking lessons, but stopped as flying was to nerve racking. Note that you can also (if the plane is so rated) pull g forces by doing highly banked turns, a 60 degree bank generates 2 g for example.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote