Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buy plane tickets to Paris for self, DW and DD

Just a few weeks from now: see the Eiffel Tower again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That sounds perfect. I don't want to drive in D.C. at all. Thanks! I didn't know that Embassy Suites even existed.
I guess your branch of the government never got that memo. Embassy Suites, at least back when I was filling out SF 1012s, was the place to stay if you were traveling for The G. It was almost always within per diem, and it came with free breakfast (made to order eggs kind of breakfast) and free cocktails every night. It was a fed's dream hotel.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I guess your branch of the government never got that memo. Embassy Suites, at least back when I was filling out SF 1012s, was the place to stay if you were traveling for The G. It was almost always within per diem, and it came with free breakfast (made to order eggs kind of breakfast) and free cocktails every night. It was a fed's dream hotel.
Nah, we always just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that was right next to our agency's HQ just outside of DC.

I just checked Embassy Suites, and couldn't find the one with the Metro in the basement (two were 3-4 blocks away from it). But looking at those and other hotels in the area, it seems like it's going to cost $250/night for a hotel so for two weeks, that would be $3500, plus another $1000 for round trip air fare for two, and probably another $1000 for higher food prices (I remember that food in DC was ridiculously expensive compared with New Orleans, anyway). Add a few souvenirs and a rough estimate for the trip would be $6000. I am beginning to see how all of the travelers on the board manage to spend so much.

Since I just bought a new SUV a few months ago, maybe I'll suggest this trip for next year's major purchase instead of going right this minute. It's always good to space out major purchases a little.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Nah, we always just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that was right next to our agency's HQ just outside of DC.
We used to travel all over the place and seldom to DC area if we could avoid it. Go to HQ? Not if you could help it. The few times I was actually in the district on business it was for some White House stuff, so we usually stayed at the St. Regis on 16th. For training we were always out in Virginia somewhere. But just about anyplace else in the country, it was Embassy Suites. During language school I drove from Ft. Lauderdale into Miami five days a week because the Miami Embassy Suites were way outside per diem. Worked out better since it was near the beach and every weekend there were at least two weddings in the atrium. I put on a suit and tie and ate some really great meals as an impromptu wedding guest!
Quote:
I just checked Embassy Suites, and couldn't find the one with the Metro in the basement (two were 3-4 blocks away from it).
It's on the red line in Chevy Chase. Washington DC Hotels - Embassy Suites Chevy Chase - Washington DC Hotel I thought it was just across the line in Maryland, but apparently it is inside the district. Anyway, you take the red line to Metro Center, change trains to the blue or orange and you're two stops from the Smithsonian. Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly to National, or you could skip all other forms of transportation because the Metro yellow line stops at National, but there is no train service to Dulles.
Quote:
Our hotel in Washington, DC is also located inside of the Chevy Chase Pavilion, one of the area's premier shopping malls, and is within close proximity to major transportation hubs in Washington D.C. We're just nine miles from Reagan National Airport, 20 miles from Dulles International Airport, and six miles from Union Station. The Washington Metro is located on-site as the Friendship Heights Station on the Metro Red Line is located within the building.
Quote:
But looking at those and other hotels in the area, it seems like it's going to cost $250/night for a decent hotel so for two weeks, that would be $3500, plus another $1000 for round trip air fare for two, and probably another $1000 for higher food prices (I remember that food in DC was ridiculously expensive compared with New Orleans, anyway). Add a few souvenirs and a rough estimate for the trip would be $6000. I am beginning to see how all of the travelers on the board manage to spend so much.
I think Summer is their busy season with tourism. The Chevy Chase Embassy Suites has rooms available for a two week block starting June 3rd, but they're not offering any real discounts - AAA is $234 and Senior Rates are $237. But, you are getting a nice free breakfast every morning and free cocktails at night. I consumed much of Mr. Hilton's free vodka back in my traveling days.

Oh, and I checked airfare on Southwest and the two of you could go for about $675 after taxes and fees. You might get it cheaper if you play with the dates a little, I was just roughing some numbers out.

Look at all this money I'm saving you!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
We used to travel all over the place and seldom to DC area if we could avoid it. Go to HQ? Not if you could help it.
I had to travel a lot for work, and didn't like it one bit. I went where they sent me (grumpily). Work travel is something I won't miss a bit, because for us "work travel" was "work travel", not "work travel", if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
It's on the red line in Chevy Chase. Washington DC Hotels - Embassy Suites Chevy Chase - Washington DC Hotel I thought it was just across the line in Maryland, but apparently it is inside the district. Anyway, you take the red line to Metro Center, change trains to the blue or orange and you're two stops from the Smithsonian.
Ah!! Thanks. I ignored the one in Chevy Chase because I didn't realize that was it.

Quote:
I think Summer is their busy season with tourism. The Chevy Chase Embassy Suites has rooms available for a two week block starting June 3rd, but they're not offering any real discounts - AAA is $234 and Senior Rates are $237.
Plus taxes and fees, so maybe $250. Autumn sounds better.

Quote:
Oh, and I checked airfare on Southwest and the two of you could go for about $675 after taxes and fees. You might get it cheaper if you play with the dates a little, I was just roughing some numbers out.

Look at all this money I'm saving you!
Thanks, I guess?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've been going to DC every Thanksgiving for a few years ( It's a half way spot for my daughter ,SIL & grandson) . We've stayed right in DC at small boutique hotels and never paid over $125 ( Priceline & Hotwire ) . All the Smithsonian museums are free so you really do not spend a lot . I found the restaurants in DC reasonable and even with taking a few tours it was one of our cheaper vacations . There is a lot of walking and frankly after a week I've had enough . Thanksgiving is a great time to go because it's less crowded and the prices drop . The Quincy hotel is next to an Irish Pub and down the street from a breakfast place and the metro .
Downtown Washington DC Hotels - Washington DC Hotel Suite Reservations - The Quincy
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We've been going to DC every Thanksgiving for a few years ( It's a half way spot for my daughter ,SIL & grandson) . We've stayed right in DC at small boutique hotels and never paid over $125 ( Priceline & Hotwire ) . All the Smithsonian museums are free so you really do not spend a lot . I found the restaurants in DC reasonable and even with taking a few tours it was one of our cheaper vacations . There is a lot of walking and frankly after a week I've had enough . Thanksgiving is a great time to go because it's less crowded and the prices drop . The Quincy hotel is next to an Irish Pub and down the street from a breakfast place and the metro .
Downtown Washington DC Hotels - Washington DC Hotel Suite Reservations - The Quincy
Thanks, Moe - - I'll keep it in mind. As previously mentioned I'm not planning this trip right now anyway. What's on YOUR bucket list?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Moe - - I'll keep it in mind. As previously mentioned I'm not planning this trip right now anyway. What's on YOUR bucket list?

I just crossed off Costa Rica & the Panama Canal next is Rome & Alaska . Last year I was very ill and it made me take a serious look at my bucket list and go for it . I realized it's now or never !
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just crossed off Costa Rica & the Panama Canal next is Rome & Alaska . Last year I was very ill and it made me take a serious look at my bucket list and go for it . I realized it's now or never !
I'm surprised you have not been to Rome! I'm sure you have and just want to go back. That's the trouble with "bucket lists". You will like it, and Alaska too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.
I live in the DC suburbs, and I completely agree with this statement! I do not EVER drive into DC - if there's something I want to do, I ride the metro (subway). Most of the interesting places in DC are accessible by metro, if you're willing to walk a bit.

W2R, since you're still in the planning stages, might I suggest trying to time your visit to coincide with the cherry blossoms? Although it is usually extremely crowded (especially on the weekend), it really is a spectacular sight. If you go early in the morning mid-week, it's less crowded. Just don't drive there. SO still reminds me of the year (probably 10 years ago) that I insisted we drive there and that it wouldn't be too bad. The area around the tidal basin was completely gridlocked and it took us an hour just to turn around and get out. Never even stopped the car and only glimpsed the trees as we tried to escape that scene!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
3. New England in the fall.

These are all things that my DH and I have talked about and will do before it is all over. That is if we can get someone to give us an "in" for tickets to the derby.

To accomplish #3 fly into Hartford ,Conn and rent a car and head towards western Mass .towards Amherst & Northampton . These are picture post card New England towns and a very scenic area . Stay at quaint Inns and shop the little towns . That is a much more scenic view than going from Boston IMHO .
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I live in the DC suburbs, and I completely agree with this statement! I do not EVER drive into DC - if there's something I want to do, I ride the metro (subway). Most of the interesting places in DC are accessible by metro, if you're willing to walk a bit.

W2R, since you're still in the planning stages, might I suggest trying to time your visit to coincide with the cherry blossoms? Although it is usually extremely crowded (especially on the weekend), it really is a spectacular sight. If you go early in the morning mid-week, it's less crowded. Just don't drive there. SO still reminds me of the year (probably 10 years ago) that I insisted we drive there and that it wouldn't be too bad. The area around the tidal basin was completely gridlocked and it took us an hour just to turn around and get out. Never even stopped the car and only glimpsed the trees as we tried to escape that scene!
Sounds like quite a traffic jam! Yes, the cherry blossoms are apparently spectacular though I like Moe's suggestion of Thanksgiving, for the lower hotel rates and hopefully smaller crowds.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Sounds like quite a traffic jam! Yes, the cherry blossoms are apparently spectacular though I like Moe's suggestion of Thanksgiving, for the lower hotel rates and hopefully smaller crowds.
I completely understand. I'm pretty crowd-averse myself.

As for the traffic jam, I think my SO is actually glad it happened. It's one of the few times that we can both say that he was right and I was wrong.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I completely understand. I pretty crowd-averse myself.

As for the traffic jam, I think my SO is actually glad it happened. It's one of the few times that we can both say that he was right and I was wrong.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #35

I live in DC too (well, outside of DC in Alexandria, but I work in DC) - you can definitely do it cheaper than $250. We've got room!

Anyway, I love to travel and don't really have a bucket list, but I have a list of trips I feel I MUST do. Here are the top 5:

1) Hiking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu
2) Exploring the wine region of Mendoza, Argentina
3) Climing Mt. Kilimanjaro and going on safari
4) New Zealand by RV
5) Seeing Angkor Wat in Cambodia

Alaska was big on my list - did it two summers ago. So was Yellowstone, and we did that last year. Both were amazing trips.

Oh -I did think of one thing - I want to learn to SCUBA dive.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Bucket list? What bucket list?

I am down nearly 9% compared to about a month ago. We are just going to have a "staycation" in our RV with it parked in our driveway.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My younger sister who is a nun travels to South America yearly for business . She's the head of her order . I'm willing to go as her assistant . I'll even wear a habit and swear off se- while I'm there and I'll only sip communion wine .
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll drink to that.