Bucket List - what i checked off my list

heyduke

Recycles dryer sheets
Thought I would start a fun thread... we need more fun in here :whistle:

This past week we traveled to Florida to watch the DD play in her post season tournament in college... when they were done we got to go watch the Atlantis Shuttle launch on her last mission ... this was on the bucket list

but we got a "two-fer-one" while waiting for the shuttle to launch; we sat by the waters edge and saw several manatees swimming around the area.... another item checked off my bucket list :cool:

We have been making it easy on ourselves. We do not have a prefilled bucket list. Whatever new things we do or places we happen to travel to, we add to our list, then check that off. :angel:

i would have been thinking of my bucket list. I am not thru by any means, but it will start with the following:

1. I want to attend the Kentucky Derby.
2. New York City at Christmas time.
3. New England in the fall.
4. A trip around Ireland.
5. A trip around Australia.
6. A hot air balloon ride over New Mexico.

These are all things that my DH and I have talked about and will do before it is all over. That is if we can get someone to give us an "in" for tickets to the derby.

Last year I had the desire to go to Italy. Instead I got new flooring...but I love it...does that count? :greetings10:

....and 'hey' heyduke...that Monday countdown is getting smaller all the time....:)

A trip back to Italy would always be on my list. We have been there twice and would go again and again. bbbamI you need to go for it. There are just to many other places that I want to experience!

Cruisinthru,
I heard of a cool way to see Australia. If you have a private pilots license there are pre-packaged tours of Australia. The furnish the air plane, flight planning and stops. You fly from one to another. Sounds like a neat way to travel if you have or know someone that has the license.

Unfortuantely no pilots license here so I guess that's out. That sounds like a great way to see a lot of country in Australia. We have looked at the train system for getting around some. That trip is going to have to wait a few years. It's just to far away! My husband still has a 93 year old Mom and we feel that Autralia is just to far away.

A trip back to Italy would always be on my list. We have been there twice and would go again and again. bbbamI you need to go for it. There are just to many other places that I want to experience!
Oh...I really do want to go to Italy. Perhaps I'll go in the next couple of years or so.

I have been on a hot air balloon ride...not over NM, but in MO. :)

Thought I would start a fun thread... we need more fun in here :whistle:

This past week we traveled to Florida to watch the DD play in her post season tournament in college... when they were done we got to go watch the Atlantis Shuttle launch on her last mission ... this was on the bucket list

but we got a "two-fer-one" while waiting for the shuttle to launch; we sat by the waters edge and saw several manatees swimming around the area.... another item checked off my bucket list :cool:

What a wonderful day!!! :D I hope you got photos.

My bucket list is very, very short and in fact it only has one entry - - to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Smithsonian with Frank, and maybe spend an afternoon touring one or two other attractions in D.C. while we are there. Can't think of anything else right now. :)

If I were you, I would have taken off tomorrow. And I might even drive. Just around 1000 mi from NO to DC.

My bucket list is very, very short and in fact it only has one entry - - to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Smithsonian with Frank, and maybe spend an afternoon touring one or two other attractions in D.C. while we are there. Can't think of anything else right now. :)
What on earth are you waiting for? Go now before it gets too hot/humid in DC! Bet you have no real excuse holding you back...:)

If I were you, I would have taken off tomorrow. And I might even drive. Just around 1000 mi from NO to DC.

Well, then I wouldn't have anything left on my bucket list at all! And I have probably 30 years to get this done. No need to rush. :D

Seriously I am thinking of suggesting it sometime in the next year or two, whenever it seems like a good time. It will cost some money, and we usually split the expense of our trips 50:50 so it might be good to coordinate this with him. :angel: I would LOVE to drive my Venza to D.C.!!! Sounds like fun.

What on earth are you waiting for? Go now before it gets too hot/humid in DC! Bet you have no real excuse holding you back...:)

Good point! Hmmm! Maybe I'll just sort of subtly slide the idea into a conversation sometime soon. But I do have 30 years to get this done.

Edited to add: It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse. :)

Well, then I wouldn't have anything left on my bucket list at all! And I have probably 30 years to get this done. No need to rush. :D

Seriously I am thinking of suggesting it sometime in the next year or two, whenever it seems like a good time. It will cost some money, and we usually split the expense of our trips 50:50 so it might be good to coordinate this with him. :angel: I would LOVE to drive my Venza to D.C.!!! Sounds like fun.

30 years! You sure are a lot more optimistic than I am, Madam. I pride myself as a practitioner of delayed gratification but still, I would not wait that long. And talk about cost, what grand hotel do you have in mind? The last time we went, we stayed in a hotel in Silver Spring and rode the metro that took us right to the Mall.

....But I do have 30 years to get this done.
Uh...I hate to rain on your parade and I realize it isn't PC to say this, but you need to check your birth certificate. :cool:

The calendar isn't your friend and I don't think you'll enjoy yourself nearly as much in 10 or 15 years. The Smithsonian requires a lot of walking to see everything.

Go sooner rather than later. Why not? :)

Then, when you are done with ALL those museums, it's time to put Alaska on your list. :angel:

It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse.
Yes, Alaska is a lot worse. And I would leave tomorrow if it weren't for some commitments I had on my part-time work, and if my wife didn't have to take turns to go in to see my FIL in his nursing home.

Edited to add: It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse. :)
Good grief...that's a blink of the eye and you probably need four decimal places to measure the impact to your portfolio. Do it!

Uh...I hate to rain on your parade and I realize it isn't PC to say this, but you need to check your birth certificate. :cool:

The calendar isn't your friend and I don't think you'll enjoy yourself nearly as much in 10 or 15 years. The Smithsonian requires a lot of walking to see everything.

Go sooner rather than later. Why not? :)

That's true. Going at age 91 would be a bit grueling, eh? :2funny: Even with one of those rental motorized wheelchairs it might be tough at that age.

Well, I'll think about it and mention it to Frank.

Hey there Ms. Kindle-owning shopping-sprees-are-fun, buy-the-submarine-model, lady, part with twice that, save the costs of food on the road (not to mention the wear and tear on your car) and fly Southwest.
The last time we went, we stayed in a hotel in Silver Spring and rode the metro that took us right to the Mall.
Same here - Embassy Suites with a metro station in the basement. Parked the car and never drove it again until it was time to leave town. You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.

My only question is: Is two weeks enough time to see it all? That ought to do the Smithsonian stuff, and the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Art, the National Museum of Natural Science, Holocaust museum/memorial (they're all right there on the mall). But what about the monuments? Lincoln, Jefferson, the FDR? The Vietnam Memorial. The new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico? The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery. Heck, if you go on July 4th you can make a quick side trip to Gettysburg and see the re-enactment of the battle.

Man, now I have to plan a trip.

Those folks in DC certainly can piss away a lot of money, but when you visit town they have one hell of a lot of great stuff to entertain you with.

Oh, speaking of July 4th - the fireworks show on the mall is absolutely phenomenal. Nothing like it anywhere else. I haven't been since 9/11 (they have all kinds of security restrictions now), but it alone was almost worth the trip up there.

Hey there Ms. Kindle-owning shopping-sprees-are-fun, buy-the-submarine-model, lady, part with twice that, save the costs of food on the road (not to mention the wear and tear on your car) and fly Southwest.

Now that's an even better idea. We wouldn't be so tired on arrival, either. I'll check Southwest's website and see what I discover.

Leonidas said:
Same here - Embassy Suites with a metro station in the basement. Parked the car and never drove it again until it was time to leave town. You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.

That sounds perfect. I don't want to drive in D.C. at all. Thanks! I didn't know that Embassy Suites even existed.

Leonidas said:
My only question is: Is two weeks enough time to see it all? That ought to do the Smithsonian stuff, and the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Art, the National Museum of Natural Science, Holocaust museum/memorial (they're all right there on the mall). But what about the monuments? Lincoln, Jefferson, the FDR? The Vietnam Memorial. The new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico? The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery. Heck, if you go on July 4th you can make a quick side trip to Gettysburg and see the re-enactment of the battle.

Well, we could MOVE there.... :2funny: But if not, we'll probably just spend a couple of weeks at the Smithsonian, and then go again another year. There is so much to see in D.C.

Leonidas said:
Man, now I have to plan a trip.

Those folks in DC certainly can piss away a lot of money, but when you visit town they have one hell of a lot of great stuff to entertain you with.

Oh, speaking of July 4th - the fireworks show on the mall is absolutely phenomenal. Nothing like it anywhere else. I haven't been since 9/11 (they have all kinds of security restrictions now), but it alone was almost worth the trip up there.

Sounds beautiful! :)

Then, when you are done with ALL those museums, it's time to put Alaska on your list. :angel:

Yes, Alaska is a lot worse. And I would leave tomorrow if it weren't for some commitments I had on my part-time work, and if my wife didn't have to take turns to go in to see my FIL in his nursing home.

Nope! No Alaska for me. I'll leave that one for you. And you should plan with your wife to go, as soon as she can get some relief in her nursing home visiting duties. It would give her something to look forward to and might brighten up her life.

[-]Buy plane tickets to Paris for self, DW and DD[/-]

Just a few weeks from now: see the Eiffel Tower again.

That sounds perfect. I don't want to drive in D.C. at all. Thanks! I didn't know that Embassy Suites even existed.
I guess your branch of the government never got that memo. Embassy Suites, at least back when I was filling out SF 1012s, was the place to stay if you were traveling for The G. It was almost always within per diem, and it came with free breakfast (made to order eggs kind of breakfast) and free cocktails every night. It was a fed's dream hotel.

I guess your branch of the government never got that memo. Embassy Suites, at least back when I was filling out SF 1012s, was the place to stay if you were traveling for The G. It was almost always within per diem, and it came with free breakfast (made to order eggs kind of breakfast) and free cocktails every night. It was a fed's dream hotel.

Nah, we always just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that was right next to our agency's HQ just outside of DC.

I just checked Embassy Suites, and couldn't find the one with the Metro in the basement (two were 3-4 blocks away from it). But looking at those and other hotels in the area, it seems like it's going to cost $250/night for a hotel so for two weeks, that would be $3500, plus another $1000 for round trip air fare for two, and probably another $1000 for higher food prices (I remember that food in DC was ridiculously expensive compared with New Orleans, anyway). Add a few souvenirs and a rough estimate for the trip would be $6000. :eek: I am beginning to see how all of the travelers on the board manage to spend so much. :LOL:

Since I just bought a new SUV a few months ago, maybe I'll suggest this trip for next year's major purchase instead of going right this minute. It's always good to space out major purchases a little. :)

Nah, we always just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that was right next to our agency's HQ just outside of DC.
We used to travel all over the place and seldom to DC area if we could avoid it. Go to HQ? Not if you could help it. The few times I was actually in the district on business it was for some White House stuff, so we usually stayed at the St. Regis on 16th. For training we were always out in Virginia somewhere. But just about anyplace else in the country, it was Embassy Suites. During language school I drove from Ft. Lauderdale into Miami five days a week because the Miami Embassy Suites were way outside per diem. Worked out better since it was near the beach and every weekend there were at least two weddings in the atrium. I put on a suit and tie and ate some really great meals as an impromptu wedding guest!
I just checked Embassy Suites, and couldn't find the one with the Metro in the basement (two were 3-4 blocks away from it).
It's on the red line in Chevy Chase. Washington DC Hotels - Embassy Suites Chevy Chase - Washington DC Hotel I thought it was just across the line in Maryland, but apparently it is inside the district. Anyway, you take the red line to Metro Center, change trains to the blue or orange and you're two stops from the Smithsonian. Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly to National, or you could skip all other forms of transportation because the Metro yellow line stops at National, but there is no train service to Dulles.
Our hotel in Washington, DC is also located inside of the Chevy Chase Pavilion, one of the area's premier shopping malls, and is within close proximity to major transportation hubs in Washington D.C. We're just nine miles from Reagan National Airport, 20 miles from Dulles International Airport, and six miles from Union Station. The Washington Metro is located on-site as the Friendship Heights Station on the Metro Red Line is located within the building.
But looking at those and other hotels in the area, it seems like it's going to cost $250/night for a decent hotel so for two weeks, that would be $3500, plus another $1000 for round trip air fare for two, and probably another $1000 for higher food prices (I remember that food in DC was ridiculously expensive compared with New Orleans, anyway). Add a few souvenirs and a rough estimate for the trip would be $6000. :eek: I am beginning to see how all of the travelers on the board manage to spend so much. :LOL:
I think Summer is their busy season with tourism. The Chevy Chase Embassy Suites has rooms available for a two week block starting June 3rd, but they're not offering any real discounts - AAA is $234 and Senior Rates are $237. But, you are getting a nice free breakfast every morning and free cocktails at night. I consumed much of Mr. Hilton's free vodka back in my traveling days.

Oh, and I checked airfare on Southwest and the two of you could go for about $675 after taxes and fees. You might get it cheaper if you play with the dates a little, I was just roughing some numbers out.

Look at all this money I'm saving you!

We used to travel all over the place and seldom to DC area if we could avoid it. Go to HQ? Not if you could help it.

I had to travel a lot for work, and didn't like it one bit. I went where they sent me (grumpily). Work travel is something I won't miss a bit, because for us "work travel" was "work travel", not "work travel", if you know what I mean.

Leonidas said:
It's on the red line in Chevy Chase. Washington DC Hotels - Embassy Suites Chevy Chase - Washington DC Hotel I thought it was just across the line in Maryland, but apparently it is inside the district. Anyway, you take the red line to Metro Center, change trains to the blue or orange and you're two stops from the Smithsonian.

Ah!! Thanks. I ignored the one in Chevy Chase because I didn't realize that was it.

Leonidas said:
I think Summer is their busy season with tourism. The Chevy Chase Embassy Suites has rooms available for a two week block starting June 3rd, but they're not offering any real discounts - AAA is $234 and Senior Rates are $237.

Plus taxes and fees, so maybe $250. Autumn sounds better.

Leonidas said:
Oh, and I checked airfare on Southwest and the two of you could go for about $675 after taxes and fees. You might get it cheaper if you play with the dates a little, I was just roughing some numbers out.

Look at all this money I'm saving you!

:LOL: Thanks, I guess? :)

Back
Top Bottom