Join Early Retirement Today

Bucket List - what i checked off my list
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bucket List - what i checked off my list

Thought I would start a fun thread... we need more fun in here

This past week we traveled to Florida to watch the DD play in her post season tournament in college... when they were done we got to go watch the Atlantis Shuttle launch on her last mission ... this was on the bucket list

but we got a "two-fer-one" while waiting for the shuttle to launch; we sat by the waters edge and saw several manatees swimming around the area.... another item checked off my bucket list
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have been making it easy on ourselves. We do not have a prefilled bucket list. Whatever new things we do or places we happen to travel to, we add to our list, then check that off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

i would have been thinking of my bucket list. I am not thru by any means, but it will start with the following:

1. I want to attend the Kentucky Derby.
2. New York City at Christmas time.
3. New England in the fall.
4. A trip around Ireland.
5. A trip around Australia.
6. A hot air balloon ride over New Mexico.

These are all things that my DH and I have talked about and will do before it is all over. That is if we can get someone to give us an "in" for tickets to the derby.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Last year I had the desire to go to Italy. Instead I got new flooring...but I love it...does that count?

....and 'hey' heyduke...that Monday countdown is getting smaller all the time....
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

A trip back to Italy would always be on my list. We have been there twice and would go again and again. bbbamI you need to go for it. There are just to many other places that I want to experience!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cruisinthru,
I heard of a cool way to see Australia. If you have a private pilots license there are pre-packaged tours of Australia. The furnish the air plane, flight planning and stops. You fly from one to another. Sounds like a neat way to travel if you have or know someone that has the license.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortuantely no pilots license here so I guess that's out. That sounds like a great way to see a lot of country in Australia. We have looked at the train system for getting around some. That trip is going to have to wait a few years. It's just to far away! My husband still has a 93 year old Mom and we feel that Autralia is just to far away.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
A trip back to Italy would always be on my list. We have been there twice and would go again and again. bbbamI you need to go for it. There are just to many other places that I want to experience!
Oh...I really do want to go to Italy. Perhaps I'll go in the next couple of years or so.

I have been on a hot air balloon ride...not over NM, but in MO.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Thought I would start a fun thread... we need more fun in here

This past week we traveled to Florida to watch the DD play in her post season tournament in college... when they were done we got to go watch the Atlantis Shuttle launch on her last mission ... this was on the bucket list

but we got a "two-fer-one" while waiting for the shuttle to launch; we sat by the waters edge and saw several manatees swimming around the area.... another item checked off my bucket list
What a wonderful day!!! I hope you got photos.

My bucket list is very, very short and in fact it only has one entry - - to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Smithsonian with Frank, and maybe spend an afternoon touring one or two other attractions in D.C. while we are there. Can't think of anything else right now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If I were you, I would have taken off tomorrow. And I might even drive. Just around 1000 mi from NO to DC.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My bucket list is very, very short and in fact it only has one entry - - to spend a couple of weeks exploring the Smithsonian with Frank, and maybe spend an afternoon touring one or two other attractions in D.C. while we are there. Can't think of anything else right now.
What on earth are you waiting for? Go now before it gets too hot/humid in DC! Bet you have no real excuse holding you back...
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I were you, I would have taken off tomorrow. And I might even drive. Just around 1000 mi from NO to DC.
Well, then I wouldn't have anything left on my bucket list at all! And I have probably 30 years to get this done. No need to rush.

Seriously I am thinking of suggesting it sometime in the next year or two, whenever it seems like a good time. It will cost some money, and we usually split the expense of our trips 50:50 so it might be good to coordinate this with him. I would LOVE to drive my Venza to D.C.!!! Sounds like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What on earth are you waiting for? Go now before it gets too hot/humid in DC! Bet you have no real excuse holding you back...
Good point! Hmmm! Maybe I'll just sort of subtly slide the idea into a conversation sometime soon. But I do have 30 years to get this done.

Edited to add: It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, then I wouldn't have anything left on my bucket list at all! And I have probably 30 years to get this done. No need to rush.

Seriously I am thinking of suggesting it sometime in the next year or two, whenever it seems like a good time. It will cost some money, and we usually split the expense of our trips 50:50 so it might be good to coordinate this with him. I would LOVE to drive my Venza to D.C.!!! Sounds like fun.
30 years! You sure are a lot more optimistic than I am, Madam. I pride myself as a practitioner of delayed gratification but still, I would not wait that long. And talk about cost, what grand hotel do you have in mind? The last time we went, we stayed in a hotel in Silver Spring and rode the metro that took us right to the Mall.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:

....But I do have 30 years to get this done.
Uh...I hate to rain on your parade and I realize it isn't PC to say this, but you need to check your birth certificate.

The calendar isn't your friend and I don't think you'll enjoy yourself nearly as much in 10 or 15 years. The Smithsonian requires a lot of walking to see everything.

Go sooner rather than later. Why not?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Then, when you are done with ALL those museums, it's time to put Alaska on your list.

Quote:
It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse.
Yes, Alaska is a lot worse. And I would leave tomorrow if it weren't for some commitments I had on my part-time work, and if my wife didn't have to take turns to go in to see my FIL in his nursing home.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Edited to add: It is 1092 miles from here to the Smithsonian, and it would take 16 hours and $135 for gas each way. Could be worse.
Good grief...that's a blink of the eye and you probably need four decimal places to measure the impact to your portfolio. Do it!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh...I hate to rain on your parade and I realize it isn't PC to say this, but you need to check your birth certificate.

The calendar isn't your friend and I don't think you'll enjoy yourself nearly as much in 10 or 15 years. The Smithsonian requires a lot of walking to see everything.

Go sooner rather than later. Why not?
That's true. Going at age 91 would be a bit grueling, eh? Even with one of those rental motorized wheelchairs it might be tough at that age.

Well, I'll think about it and mention it to Frank.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hey there Ms. Kindle-owning shopping-sprees-are-fun, buy-the-submarine-model, lady, part with twice that, save the costs of food on the road (not to mention the wear and tear on your car) and fly Southwest.
Quote:
The last time we went, we stayed in a hotel in Silver Spring and rode the metro that took us right to the Mall.
Same here - Embassy Suites with a metro station in the basement. Parked the car and never drove it again until it was time to leave town. You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.

My only question is: Is two weeks enough time to see it all? That ought to do the Smithsonian stuff, and the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Art, the National Museum of Natural Science, Holocaust museum/memorial (they're all right there on the mall). But what about the monuments? Lincoln, Jefferson, the FDR? The Vietnam Memorial. The new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico? The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery. Heck, if you go on July 4th you can make a quick side trip to Gettysburg and see the re-enactment of the battle.

Man, now I have to plan a trip.

Those folks in DC certainly can piss away a lot of money, but when you visit town they have one hell of a lot of great stuff to entertain you with.

Oh, speaking of July 4th - the fireworks show on the mall is absolutely phenomenal. Nothing like it anywhere else. I haven't been since 9/11 (they have all kinds of security restrictions now), but it alone was almost worth the trip up there.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Hey there Ms. Kindle-owning shopping-sprees-are-fun, buy-the-submarine-model, lady, part with twice that, save the costs of food on the road (not to mention the wear and tear on your car) and fly Southwest.
Now that's an even better idea. We wouldn't be so tired on arrival, either. I'll check Southwest's website and see what I discover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Same here - Embassy Suites with a metro station in the basement. Parked the car and never drove it again until it was time to leave town. You don't want to drive in DC if you can avoid it, and parking can be a monumental pain.
That sounds perfect. I don't want to drive in D.C. at all. Thanks! I didn't know that Embassy Suites even existed.

Quote:
My only question is: Is two weeks enough time to see it all? That ought to do the Smithsonian stuff, and the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Art, the National Museum of Natural Science, Holocaust museum/memorial (they're all right there on the mall). But what about the monuments? Lincoln, Jefferson, the FDR? The Vietnam Memorial. The new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico? The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery. Heck, if you go on July 4th you can make a quick side trip to Gettysburg and see the re-enactment of the battle.
Well, we could MOVE there.... But if not, we'll probably just spend a couple of weeks at the Smithsonian, and then go again another year. There is so much to see in D.C.

Quote:
Man, now I have to plan a trip.

Those folks in DC certainly can piss away a lot of money, but when you visit town they have one hell of a lot of great stuff to entertain you with.

Oh, speaking of July 4th - the fireworks show on the mall is absolutely phenomenal. Nothing like it anywhere else. I haven't been since 9/11 (they have all kinds of security restrictions now), but it alone was almost worth the trip up there.
Sounds beautiful!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Then, when you are done with ALL those museums, it's time to put Alaska on your list.

Yes, Alaska is a lot worse. And I would leave tomorrow if it weren't for some commitments I had on my part-time work, and if my wife didn't have to take turns to go in to see my FIL in his nursing home.
Nope! No Alaska for me. I'll leave that one for you. And you should plan with your wife to go, as soon as she can get some relief in her nursing home visiting duties. It would give her something to look forward to and might brighten up her life.