Join Early Retirement Today

Buick and Jaguar beat Lexus in quality??
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buick and Jaguar beat Lexus in quality??

Jaguar, Buick dethrone Lexus in reliability study

All GM has to do is let Buick make all their cars........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, are you trading in those Honda's now?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
So, are you trading in those Honda's now?
One never knows..... The ONLY Buick I like right now is the Enclave. The LaCrosse and Lucerne look too "old" for me. No way do I fit the demographic of Buick, an average age of 63 or so........

I already told DW my next car will be a wagon, and she almost fell off her chair........

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

What about the mid life crisis Jaguar? Think you'll look good in that?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only if he's in the trunk...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but I hate Jags. However, Audi, Acura, BMW, and Mercedes are appealing. Too bad Mercedes is abysmal in the reliability department. I see a LOT fewer Audis than any other luxury brand around. I think 20% of all cars in my beighborhood are Acura TL's.......

Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Only if he's in the trunk...
Did I ever tell anyone I am Sicilian? I know ALL ABOUT folks ending up in trunks........

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #8

Sicilian, make sure you get the remote start. (heh)
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

It's good to see an "American" car on top of a reliability list for a change.

Does anyone else find it surprising how much the reliability studies vary between the companies who produce them? One thing to point out is this study was only for cars made in 2006.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sicilian, make sure you get the remote start. (heh)
Just kidding.........I was trying to scare REWahoo......

Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
One never knows..... The ONLY Buick I like right now is the Enclave. The LaCrosse and Lucerne look too "old" for me. No way do I fit the demographic of Buick, an average age of 63 or so........

I already told DW my next car will be a wagon, and she almost fell off her chair........
What did you think of the new LaCross due this fall (bailout willing)? There's a thumbnail in your link, but here are some better views...........
NAIAS 09: 2010 Buick LaCrosse - GM Inside News Forum
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What did you think of the new LaCross due this fall (bailout willing)? There's a thumbnail in your link, but here are some better views...........
NAIAS 09: 2010 Buick LaCrosse - GM Inside News Forum
Sweet................GM can make a nice car, they just waited 25 years to actually do it.......

Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #13

I've pretty much sworn off US cars. It's a shame, really. My Mazda was made here in the US, but it's a Japanese design. Reasonably good luck so far, but it doesn't stack up to any Toyota or Honda I've ever owned.

If I were to purchase some Detroit iron, it would be a 10 year old Le Sabre or similar with low mileage. Plenty of protection, little to lose out in traffic and easy to insure and get parts for. If anything goes wrong, a bullet between the headlights will be a merciful end.

I really do hope the Big Three can be saved (for the jobs if nothing else) but I won't be the first in line to buy one of their products, sad to say. Of course, YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post

Does anyone else find it surprising how much the reliability studies vary between the companies who produce them? One thing to point out is this study was only for cars made in 2006.
Part of my job at Mega Motors was to analyze these surveys doing call backs to customers that had taken the survey. It was pretty eye opening to see how all over the map the responses are. Customers are for the most part not very technically oriented and a single problem can get reported in a multitude of categories, which are additive. From one company to the next the questions are different and even the wording can make a difference in the response. You can really see this for products that are "twins" - cars with the same everything but grill and tail lights yet the scores are significantly different.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #15

Did anybody stop to think that perhaps Buick customers are just too old to figure out that anything is wrong with their car? Their standards might be lower, anything is better than having to hand crank the model T.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Did anybody stop to think that perhaps Buick customers are just too old to figure out that anything is wrong with their car? Their standards might be lower, anything is better than having to hand crank the model T.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post

The study uses the number of issues in the first three years of ownership as a measure. As such, it would be difficult to state results for a car less than 3 years old
Kudos to Buick and Jaquar/Ford. Very nicely done.
Lexus still holds number one in a number of categories. So while they were beat, they haven't nosedived.
For me, quality is much more on par between domestics and foreign. The biggest decision maker for me is fuel efficiency and/or availability of all electric vehicles.
Personally, I am pulling for ALL auto companies to deliver on that.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
The study uses the number of issues in the first three years of ownership as a measure. As such, it would be difficult to state results for a car less than 3 years old
Kudos to Buick and Jaquar/Ford. Very nicely done.
Lexus still holds number one in a number of categories. So while they were beat, they haven't nosedived.
For me, quality is much more on par between domestics and foreign. The biggest decision maker for me is fuel efficiency and/or availability of all electric vehicles.
Personally, I am pulling for ALL auto companies to deliver on that.
Don't forget about RESALE value. USED car sales of domestics are deals. Heck, when ya throw $8,000 rebates at the front end, it doesn't help the value hold up...........

Until GM and others get folks to buy their cars without selling them for $5000 below invoice, they will still have problems........