Build-A-Bear FAIL!!!

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The wonderful DW is w*rking from home today and has the TV tuned into the local news (much to my disapproval) and I happen to hear about a publicity stunt that failed magnificently.

The Build-A-Bear folks, which I didn't even think was still around, announced that they were going to do a special. Basically, you could purchase the bear for the cost of the age of the customer. I don't know how much these things normally cost, but I assume they aren't cheap. Well, I guess the sheeple thought that it must be a VERY good deal, so the lines at the mall were absolutely crazy and got so bad that the B-A-B folks shut it down. The local news outlet showed people lined up OUTSIDE the mall to take advantage of this special.

I don't really get this. For me, time IS money....and there is no freaking way I am going to stand in line for HOURS to save...what, $20 or even $50?!? And the product that you are buying is worth about $1 at a yard sale when you leave.

Not really a rant, I guess since I don't go to the mall...but more of an observation of society.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...uts-down-one-day-pay-your-age-sale/778835002/

I don't really get this. For me, time IS money....and there is no freaking way I am going to stand in line for HOURS to save...what, $20 or even $50?!?
That's what an objectively rational customer would you. But, if last night you told little Suzy and Bobby about the special day they were going to have tomorrow at BAB, and you heard their shrieks of joy, and their excited chatter this morning at the breakfast table, and then you got to the mall and saw the line--well, there are other factors.

Probably best to just fake an outraged call to the store and then tell the kiddos that they ran out of bears--and be ready to drive to the zoo.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't get it either, but we never had kids. I knew I'd be a crummy father when it came to things like this. I mean, all this for a stuffed animal? Don't most kids already have a few dozen of these things?

I no more get the weirdos that camp out in front of Apple to try and be the first for a new iphone? What is your job that allows you to do this as well as afford to pay full retail for a new iphone? Do you take PTO?

Like mentioned, time is money. I've got plenty of money, but very little free time and what I do have is incredibly valuable to me.

My DD told me that she had thought about taking her kids, but decided it would probably be too crazy. She has a 2 yr old, a 3 yr old and a 10 year old, and it would have been a fairly inexpensive fun activity. She lives in NC and was glad that she did not go after seeing the news.

My niece did take her 3 kids. She stated that she arrived at 8:00am and had about a 20 minute wait, but she had a picture of 3 happy, smiling kids with their bears and unicorn. She lives in MD.

Yeah I don't get it either, but we never had kids. I knew I'd be a crummy father when it came to things like this. I mean, all this for a stuffed animal? Don't most kids already have a few dozen of these things?

I no more get the weirdos that camp out in front of Apple to try and be the first for a new iphone? What is your job that allows you to do this as well as afford to pay full retail for a new iphone? Do you take PTO?

Like mentioned, time is money. I've got plenty of money, but very little free time and what I do have is incredibly valuable to me.

Good point on not having kids. We don't have kids either so it's easy to point fingers at these "fools"...at least at the BAB event but not appreciate the incessant nature of a child's wish. Now the IDIOTS that stand in line for an iPhone or some other thing...well, they ARE idiots.

My niece did take her 3 kids. She stated that she arrived at 8:00am and had about a 20 minute wait, but she had a picture of 3 happy, smiling kids with their bears and unicorn. She lives in MD.

Our DIL did the same yesterday. My take is that it's better to be out doing stuff, interacting with other adults and children (even if that involves building an overpriced teddy bear) than sitting in front of a television.

What about all the people who line up for hours at restaurants when it’s free Chick-Fil-A day, free taco day, etc? A restaurant near us has waits of an hour + every Tuesday because tacos are $1.

I remember lining up for the premier showing of the Star Wars movie with my kids. It was a bonding experience. Somehow Netflix does not offer anything comparable.

Mom got me up at 4AM to get in line for the King Tut exhibit. I dragged along a few friends.

Worth every bit of the 6 hour wait.

I will always fondly remember my mom for that.

My wife got me to the mall around 03:00 to wait for the iPhone 5 (?) release. We were kicked out of the mall parking lot and returned at 4AM, when Starbucks opened. We stayed there until 5AM, when the mall let us wait in front of the Apple store. Thank goodness, they allow pre-orders on most phones now.

I have a friend who stood in line for 4 hours yesterday with her 2 young children and the 2 she nannies. She was very disappointed to not get in and have the kids make bears. The kids thought it was a fun day and a lady passing by bought the kids a cinnabon.

I remember lining up for the premier showing of the Star Wars movie with my kids. It was a bonding experience. Somehow Netflix does not offer anything comparable.

Camped out overnight to get tickets to Led Zeppelin in '72. Somehow Ticketmaster does not offer anything comparable to that experience, either! :D:D

FIRE types are probably more experienced than the average person at transforming time into money and thus are more acutely aware of when time is not being put to productive use, with productive defined in any way the individual wants.

According to one of my sisters who knows someone who works there... they consider it a big success...

First, it was not just any bear, but a small one... and only the bear, all other stuff still costs you money....

But, they did pass out coupons to everybody who was in line that could not get in... a $15 coupon... so if you have an older child you made out better...

Plus lots of news on TV that is free...

So they do not consider it a fail....

Sure, but many don't have lots of money, and this may be the only way their kids get a BAB. To those parents, standing in line a couple of hours to make the kids happy is a good trade.

First, it was not just any bear, but a small one... and only the bear, all other stuff still costs you money....

What a racket! If it's a Princess Bear she's gotta have a wig, right? And then there are a few items of clothing, a hat (or a crown), a magic wand or a fire hose or a car to drive... and then you add "sounds and scents". I looked it up.

Ain't no free lunch.

What a racket! If it's a Princess Bear she's gotta have a wig, right? And then there are a few items of clothing, a hat (or a crown), a magic wand or a fire hose or a car to drive... and then you add "sounds and scents". I looked it up.

Ain't no free lunch.

Yea, you can get up pretty high quickly.... I got snookered into taking my daughter and her friends for her birthday.... cost me a bundle... I forget if I bought the $18 or $25 package... but they go up to $45 per kid... problem is all girls want MORE... not just the one item in the package and with 6 kids all screaming who is going to look like a cheapskate!!! (BTW, it was me :dance:)

Back
Top Bottom