Join Early Retirement Today

Building Blocks of Happiness
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Building Blocks of Happiness

Keeping with my "happy" theme today...(If a Dog Was The Teacher...)

Building Blocks of Happiness - all free!
  • Play
  • Having New Experiences
  • Friends & Family
  • Doing Things That Are Meaningful
  • Appreciating what we have

Extrinsic ("the hedonic treadmill")
  • Money
  • Status
Intrinsic
  • Personal growth
  • Relationships
  • Desire to help

All from
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health, body and mind. I'd say it could be the 1st block.

"Don't worry, be happy."

Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

and all along I thought the basic building block of happiness was being retired...
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

About this time last year, I was preparing to enter the hospital having my 1st major surgery. Just a short one year before that, as pessimistic as I had always been, I could not believe there was a strong chance I could die before the age of 60.

Happiness has been redefined in much simpler terms. Oh, I wanted to get back to the physical condition I had been. I would even go back to work.

I am not quite back to where I was, and never will be. But I may go for a few more years. Every day not suffering physically is a good day.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The Happy documentary has some good food for thought. It has influenced our retirement planning. I watched it on Netflix. Nat Geo's Stress - Portrait of a Killer is also a good Netflix documentary relating to ER.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About this time last year, I was preparing to enter the hospital having my 1st major surgery. Just a short one year before that, as pessimistic as I had always been, I could not believe there was a strong chance I could die before the age of 60.

Happiness has been redefined in much simpler terms. Oh, I wanted to get back to the physical condition I had been. I would even go back to work.

I am not quite back to where I was, and never will be. But I may go for a few more years. Every day not suffering physically is a good day.
We are glad you pulled through NW-Bound and are sharing your life lessons with us.

I never appreciated being able to just dance and go for walks until I hurt my heel and couldn't do either for awhile. That wasn't as serious as your situation, but still it was a good reminder to me to take care of my health as best I can and enjoy being able to do simple things.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thank you.

I thought I was healthy, never had any major illness in my life. At a previous annual exam, my doctor said that my blood test was the best he had seen in a while. Oh, I had some problems before, but never life threatening. I passed huge kidney stones at home, without the help of pain medication (I made a post a few years ago about it, and people wanted to see photo of the huge stone, so I posted it ).

No daily medication. Highest BMI was 25 (23.5 now). But that may not mean anything, though it certainly helped. There's a lot about our health that's either genetic or random. Still, my overall health lets me pull through.

I appreciate life and health much more now. Money is good, but it cannot buy health.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Sorry, couldn't resist.

http://youtu.be/y6Sxv-sUYtM

EDIT: I can't figure out why it isn't showing the nice YouTube video box but just the boring URL...
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

NW-bound, thanks
Not so easy to do this on a tablet:-)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #10

My building block for happiness :

health
good SO/families/relatives/friends
pleasant work env
financial security
house & neighborhood which feel like a "home"
hobbies (golf, music, movies, traveling, ....)
being able to recognize & appreciate good life when I am in one.