Building Blocks of Happiness

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Keeping with my "happy" theme today...(http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/if-a-dog-was-the-teacher-72295.html#post1456572)

Building Blocks of Happiness - all free!
  • Play
  • Having New Experiences
  • Friends & Family
  • Doing Things That Are Meaningful
  • Appreciating what we have

Extrinsic ("the hedonic treadmill")
  • Money
  • Status
Intrinsic
  • Personal growth
  • Relationships
  • Desire to help

All from
868.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 7
Health, body and mind. I'd say it could be the 1st block.

"Don't worry, be happy."

and all along I thought the basic building block of happiness was being retired...

About this time last year, I was preparing to enter the hospital having my 1st major surgery. Just a short one year before that, as pessimistic as I had always been, I could not believe there was a strong chance I could die before the age of 60.

Happiness has been redefined in much simpler terms. Oh, I wanted to get back to the physical condition I had been. I would even go back to work.

I am not quite back to where I was, and never will be. But I may go for a few more years. Every day not suffering physically is a good day.

Last edited:
The Happy documentary has some good food for thought. It has influenced our retirement planning. I watched it on Netflix. Nat Geo's Stress - Portrait of a Killer is also a good Netflix documentary relating to ER.

About this time last year, I was preparing to enter the hospital having my 1st major surgery. Just a short one year before that, as pessimistic as I had always been, I could not believe there was a strong chance I could die before the age of 60.

Happiness has been redefined in much simpler terms. Oh, I wanted to get back to the physical condition I had been. I would even go back to work.

I am not quite back to where I was, and never will be. But I may go for a few more years. Every day not suffering physically is a good day.

We are glad you pulled through NW-Bound and are sharing your life lessons with us.

I never appreciated being able to just dance and go for walks until I hurt my heel and couldn't do either for awhile. That wasn't as serious as your situation, but still it was a good reminder to me to take care of my health as best I can and enjoy being able to do simple things.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I thought I was healthy, never had any major illness in my life. At a previous annual exam, my doctor said that my blood test was the best he had seen in a while. Oh, I had some problems before, but never life threatening. I passed huge kidney stones at home, without the help of pain medication (I made a post a few years ago about it, and people wanted to see photo of the huge stone, so I posted it :) ).

No daily medication. Highest BMI was 25 (23.5 now). But that may not mean anything, though it certainly helped. There's a lot about our health that's either genetic or random. Still, my overall health lets me pull through.

I appreciate life and health much more now. Money is good, but it cannot buy health.

Last edited:
My building block for happiness :

health
good SO/families/relatives/friends
pleasant work env
financial security
house & neighborhood which feel like a "home"
hobbies (golf, music, movies, traveling, ....)
being able to recognize & appreciate good life when I am in one.

Back
Top Bottom