Bungee jumping risk

I have. Back in the day when I was still working. Just shows you what work does to a person...

Neither riding a bungee cord or a zip line is on my things-to-do list at this time. Both activities require me to place total trust in someone that I have never met before.

Last edited:
Neither riding a bungie cord or a zip line is on my things-to-do list at this time. Both activities require me to place total trust in someone that I have never met before.

I am in that camp as well.

However, last May DW was keen on zip-lining while we were staying in Colorado. Did about 6 runs over different gulleys, in high winds. I used up too many of the remaining heart beats I have left to want to do that again.

Neither riding a bungie cord or a zip line is on my things-to-do list at this time. Both activities require me to place total trust in someone that I have never met before.
I have not been interested in these activities, hence did not think much about the potential risks. Do you have to sign a waiver before participating?

I have not been interested in these activities, hence did not think much about the potential risks. Do you have to sign a waiver before participating?

Absolutely.

No interest here, but back in the day I did a lot of rappelling down sheer cliff faces, as well as climbing back up them. Of course, that was back when you drove pitons into the rock face as anchor points (now considered gauche, if not illegal).

As mickeyd implied, an activity where you can feel (sort of) in control is vastly different from bungee jumping. When you buy, inspect, and use your own equipment, it's not equivalent at all.

The guy who filmed this little walk in the park (previously posted on the forum)

and this

came to a sad but predictable end....

"RIP Daniel Ahnen who recorded this jaw-dropping video (Camino Real)
Tragically fell into a deep glacial crevasse whilst filming an expedition on the Indian Himalayas 17/5/11.
Rescue parties abandoned rescue or recovery as 'depth was insurmountable with no end in sight of the crevasse'."
Forever remembered on Youtube...

No ER for him! :facepalm:

Excerpt from the linked article follows.

It shows the cord snapping as she reached the bottom of her descent, when she was still around 20 metres above the water, the Zambia Post reported. With her feet still tied, Langworthy plunged head first into the Zambezi before swimming to the side of the river.​

So, she free-fell about 60 ft into the river. That was not too bad. If it were hard ground, man, that would have been a hell of a headache! :angel:

It's rumored this guy did some bungee jumping in his youth.

img_1148293_0_a20b6269d637511649a546c6dcd6adbc.gif

Here are a couple of places I will not be flying to anytime soon...... :eek:

I bungee jumped once, back around 1994 I believe, in Florida, with several of my work buddies. We were there TDY (temporary duty for you civilians). Alcohol was involved. Otherwise, I don't believe I'd have done it. Never saw any reason to do it again since then. Been there, done that, got a pic...someplace.

Did a zip line through a cloudforest in Costa Rica. Very Kooool, and I hate heights.

I bungee jumped in Queenstown, NZ back in the late 90s. I was on a trip with my college buddies, it was the second to last night of our trip to NZ, so felt the need to have a finale! It was such a rush and I'm glad I did it. Especially since one of the buddies chickened out at the last min and he still gets ribbed about it after more than 10 years.

Never had an interest in bungee jumping.

And the only thing that's gonna convince me to jump out of an airplane is if the airplane is fully involved in flame.

But I ride a motorcycle. Go figure.

Never had an interest in bungee jumping.

And the only thing that's gonna convince me to jump out of an airplane is if the airplane is fully involved in flame.

But I ride a motorcycle. Go figure.
I bet lots more people get hurt riding a motorcycle than bungee jumping.

For me, life is bungee jumping without the cord.

That's scary enough - I don't need any other "thrills" TYVM. :cool:

I hate edges (cliffs, high rooftops, etc) but liked sky diving. I would go bungee jumping in a heart beat if I found a convenient opportunity.

Nords said:
Who gets the Darwin Award? Her or the owner of the bungee-jumping franchise?

Well, look at what a bungee jumper does.
1). They give money to a stranger in a distant land, and...
2). They sign a waiver absolving the stranger of all responsibility, and then...
3). They let the stranger tie their feet together, attach them to an oversized bundle of rubber bands of unknown origin and quality, and...
4). They jump off a bridge, trusting the nice stranger with their money and waiver to have spent lost of time and effort inspecting and testing his rubber bands and rope, rather than selling services to more tourists.

Well, look at what a bungee jumper does.
1). They give money to a stranger in a distant land, and...
2). They sign a waiver absolving the stranger of all responsibility, and then...
3). They let the stranger tie their feet together, attach them to an oversized bundle of rubber bands of unknown origin and quality, and...
4). They jump off a bridge, trusting the nice stranger with their money and waiver to have spent lost of time and effort inspecting and testing his rubber bands and rope, rather than selling services to more tourists.
I've been in restaurants that were more dangerous...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom