Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I totally agree, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant to be charged by a growling 100 pound dog. It is simply a trained surrogate aggressor.
You are correct. Any HOA or local ordinance against aggressive dogs?

Only one other thing I can come up with. In this area most insurance company's will not provide homeowners insurance if you own breeds like Rottweilers, Chows, Pitt bulls, Wolf hybrids. Any chance of finding out who a$$hat has coverage with and find out their rules? They will drop your coverage around here. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

For more than a decade we had a sensor / alarm / light system using X-10 modules, which are available from many sources. Amazon has the components individually. The base unit we had can be programmed so that when the alarm is triggered it will call up to three different numbers and play a recording. A simple sample starter kit is at:
X10 Security Complete 15 Piece Kit System
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

While I agree in principle, are we supposed to somehow not mind a dog's rotten behavior because it's "not his fault"?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Not to disagree but that's the a$$hat neighbor's fault not the dogs. The dog lacks proper training/socialization. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have a dog.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
While I agree in principle, are we supposed to somehow not mind a dog's rotten behavior because it's "not his fault"?

Amethyst
No I don't have the answer.
I have the same type issue with my neighbors dog. I could have legally dispatched him the other week, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. Now if he had bitten DW, there would be one dead dog and my attorney would be making money.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are correct. Any HOA or local ordinance against aggressive dogs?

Only one other thing I can come up with. In this area most insurance company's will not provide homeowners insurance if you own breeds like Rottweilers, Chows, Pitt bulls, Wolf hybrids. Any chance of finding out who a$$hat has coverage with and find out their rules? They will drop your coverage around here. Good luck........
No HOA, but I'm sure I could cause the owner grief if I complained to the township. So far, the dog never leaves its own yard, so I won't escalate it. If it comes in my yard, all bets are off.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I suspect having an alarm sign in the front garden bed is as effective as having an alarm system.
Quite possibly. Having a personal data set of 1, being broken into before we had an alarm sign on the front of the house, I can't say either way. FWIW it was our first break-in after about 18 years living there. But, one thing I realized after the fact was that about two-thirds of the homes in my neighborhood have signs from ADT (or other security cos). So there's that.

Following up on my own post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Yeah, I know, if someone really wants to break in, they will. But the combination of the alarm sign and window stickers, the alarm permit in a very conspicuous location, the loud beeping noise when a sensor is triggered, and the very loud alarm if it isn't disarmed in time, will hopefully deter most.
But, as many have pointed out, that won't deter all thieves.

I mentioned earlier that after the break-in I was afraid to leave the house; in actuality, I was afraid to go back into the house if it was unoccupied for even a short amt of time (recall, we were out of the house for less than an hour when it was broken into). Not a debilitating fear, but, it was there. I could very easily have been by myself that afternoon, I still get chills when I think of it (which really is not all that often anymore; I only seem to be dwelling on it in responding to this thread, I'm fine, really! )

This is the main reason why we have a monitored system -- if someone still manages to break in, at least we'll know about it (via calls to our cell phones & emails, in addition to the police notification) before we walk into house. I don't like surprises, especially if I'm by myself. For us, the monitored system is worth the added cost for the peace of mind. Of course, YMMV.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I'm sorry but I get such a kick out of 3 scumbags standing at your door trying to act all concerned about a kitty cat.
I know right?! It just felt so odd and fake...
And to DFW I did report this along with the license plate number to the Sheriff office. Also told neighbors about the 'kitty trio'
Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I had a full house alarm system installed after my husband passed, at the strong urging of some of my guy friends, some of whom were law enforcement. I had 2 dogs at the time, but the guys insisted I get an alarm system. So I did. I've never regretted that.

I am now dog-less and do not live alone. I live out in the country, but the road I live on is very well traveled. Not a good choice for burglars.

I never answer the door if a strange vehicle pulls up or someone on foot rings the doorbell and I am home alone. It just isn't a good idea.
If they were to start anything funny outside the house, all I have to do is hit a panic button for auto dial/dispatch police to 911. I can also trigger the screeching audio alarm from the inside.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I bought the stickers from ebay for $3 or so. They are all over the lower level windows and storm door on the front of the house. Combine that with the poorly maintained front yard and 15 year old cars with peeling paint in the driveway, and it seems like a pretty good theft deterrent system.

Unfortunately we just had new siding installed so our house looks pretty nice now. Hopefully that doesn't make us a target. Maybe a neighbor can be kind enough to spring for a new bimmer or something conspicuously indicating wealth so they can be a target instead of me.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't recall every having a proper burglary in our neighborhood. All the houses were built with alarm systems, though not everyone pays for the monitoring.

The problem we have here is about every year or two there is a run of people getting robbed because they leave their garage doors open and the thief just walks right in. Usually they just take something from the garage, but occasionally they go into the house too.

It's never pleasant to be robbed, but if you leave your garage door open all day you are just asking for trouble.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I can't recall every having a proper burglary in our neighborhood. All the houses were built with alarm systems, though not everyone pays for the monitoring.

The problem we have here is about every year or two there is a run of people getting robbed because they leave their garage doors open and the thief just walks right in. Usually they just take something from the garage, but occasionally they go into the house too.

It's never pleasant to be robbed, but if you leave your garage door open all day you are just asking for trouble.
I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door. I still try and imagine that a thief truly has a need for the things they steal. I don't want to think poorly of others, so that tempers the levels of security implemented.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door. I still try and imagine that a thief truly has a need for the things they steal. I don't want to think poorly of others, so that tempers the levels of security implemented.
We never used to lock our doors, we live on 12 acres and never felt like we would be a target. Our town is small....but has seen a growing problem with meth. There are some pretty desperate people around and remote homes have been been getting hit. Sad situation. But it feels good to be pre-emptive.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
We never used to lock our doors, we live on 12 acres and never felt like we would be a target. Our town is small....but has seen a growing problem with meth. There are some pretty desperate people around and remote homes have been been getting hit. Sad situation. But it feels good to be pre-emptive.

I must be the only knuckle dragger on this forum. Thieves can go steal from businesses or wherever and take their chances, but breaking into a private residence and violating ones sanctity of a private home deserves a hot lead gift for their brazenness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My last house came prewired, but that meant there were alarm wires sticking out of all ground level doors and windows. When I remodeled, I decided to put alarm magnetic switches at all the doors and windows just to get rid of the wires. After I did that it seemed reasonable to put in an alarm system box and hook everything up. I bought a professional level monitoring station and control panel. Hooking up all the wires was tedious but easy. Programming the system was very complex. I had to read the manual many times to figure out all the correct codes. I think the newer ones for the DIY crowd would be much easier, but when I finished, I had a rock solid system with all the bells and whistles.

I used a monitoring company that recorded video cameras at the doors any time there was an event. I got a text message any time one of the teen kids came in to the house and disarmed the system or left and armed the system. I did not have a human monitor in the loop. If there was an event I would get a text and e-mail and I would have to respond appropriately. I also put up alarm signs and window stickers. Never had a problem.

I also had the garage door alarmed. I had control panels at the front door, the master bedroom, and the inner garage door. It helped me know if I forgot to close the garage door. DW and I also had key fobs that would close/open the garage door and arm/disarm the system. Very convenient.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door.
That's an entirely different set of circumstances and motivations, and the frozen traveler isn't there to steal - he's there in an effort to survive. And he probably doesn't have the strength left to steal anyway. Not exactly the case in suburbia.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I must be the only knuckle dragger on this forum. Thieves can go steal from businesses or wherever and take their chances, but breaking into a private residence and violating ones sanctity of a private home deserves a hot lead gift for their brazenness.
I think we all fantasize about meting out justice to those that wrong us, but with my luck I'd end up killing the teenager down the block over a TV set.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #57

My neighborhood feels safe because it's a health hazard.
Any intruder causing damage would run the risk of contracting acute lead poisoning.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

We may live in the same state. This state is covered by the Castle doctrine. The state law has 7 deadly sins in which force can be used. Doesn't include theft directly, but there's the state definition of what Castle covers. I'd guess I'd be in fear of my life should someone enter my home with intent. Think it's all in RSMO570 - RSMO573.

Despite that I have a monitored alarm.

I'm in no way saying what's right or wrong, and I'm not an attorney.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We may live in the same state. This state is covered by the Castle doctrine. The state law has 7 deadly sins in which force can be used. Doesn't include theft directly, but there's the state definition of what Castle covers. I'd guess I'd be in fear of my life should someone enter my home with intent. Think it's all in RSMO570 - RSMO573.

Despite that I have a monitored alarm.

I'm in no way saying what's right or wrong, and I'm not an attorney.

I am not a violent person or even a gun nut though I own one. But still I must confess that when a home invader gets cut down by the homeowner, I must confess I believe the neighborhood is a bit safer and the taxpayers were spared. And I cannot stand to read an obligatory comment from a friend or relative on how nice the person was. Sometimes you get what you deserve. I don't know necessarily what the other 6 sins are but this one is a top 5 in my book!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used to accidentally leave the garage door open.
I would find out at bedtime when I checked all the doors were locked as I'd look to see our car doors were shut tight, since once leaving one open killed the battery.
Too many times I saw the garage door was open, then I'd look around to see if my tools etc were still there.
Finally I bought this little thing that sticks on the garage door and wireless monitor inside the house that shows green/red light
Its an earlier version of this:
Sears.com
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote