Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I am not a violent person or even a gun nut though I own one. But still I must confess that when a home invader gets cut down by the homeowner, I must confess I believe the neighborhood is a bit safer and the taxpayers were spared. And I cannot stand to read an obligatory comment from a friend or relative on how nice the person was. Sometimes you get what you deserve. I don't know necessarily what the other 6 sins are but this one is a top 5 in my book!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a house sticker years ago that said, "Protected By Smith & Wesson". Not sure if that would deter or invite thieves in to steal your guns.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I had a house sticker years ago that said, "Protected By Smith & Wesson". Not sure if that would deter or invite thieves in to steal your guns.
My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

We rarely have much crime in my small town however a man (he walks some too) in a car approached me while I was on my daily walk and asked if I noticed any unusual activity the day before as his mother was robbed in broad daylight while she was out of the house.
The safe suburban gun carrying thing really amuses me, though it doesn't bother me. I have come to the conclusion the only place for mine is in the house. No need to carry it where I live, and the few times I go to the city where it may be a prudent safety feature it would have to be left in the car. So all that would accomplish is it being stolen.
My luck would probably be what happened a few months ago in the nearby big city. A couple thugs robbed some elderly people, then one of the older men pulled out his concealed gun and next thing you know both sides are emptying the guns at each other. Neither one hit anything and they still got off with the goods.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've always thought those were invitations to steal. What's more intrinsically and instrumentally valuable, portable, and marketable than guns? And anyone brazen enough to talk up their gun ownership probably has a gun or three laying around. You can stick those puppies in a duffle bag and buy many days of meth with the proceeds from fencing them. Or deploy those newly acquired guns in even more lucrative crimes.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I've always thought those were invitations to steal. What's more intrinsically and instrumentally valuable, portable, and marketable than guns? And anyone brazen enough to talk up their gun ownership probably has a gun or three laying around. You can stick those puppies in a duffle bag and buy many days of meth with the proceeds from fencing them. Or deploy those newly acquired guns in even more lucrative crimes.
My thoughts, too. It seems like cash, drugs and guns would be favorite targets for thieves.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Finally I bought this little thing that sticks on the garage door and wireless monitor inside the house that shows green/red light
Its an earlier version of this:
Sears.com
I have one of those too, although it is there because it came with the opener on a special. It just happened to be at the time we were buying a garage door opener.

I never actually drove off and left the garage door open but it drove me nuts if I got two hours away and realized that I couldn't remember closing it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any DIY alarm systems that also record video? Seems you're unlikely to stop a theft, but it would seem good if you had pictures of the thieves after the fact. At least you'd know if it was the neighbor kids.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
......snip....

A gun isn't much use if you aren't there as mentioned unless you set up some kind of booby trap...I think there have been some Darwin awards for those in the past :P
Maybe Darwin for the person that set it, I'm not sure if it's a federal law or state. Every state I've read the laws on weapons there's very serious penelty(several class A felonies in this state) for that type of trap.

I engorge anyone that chooses to use deadly force to get training in your state laws and pratice, pratice, have a plan; your buying false security if you don't.

Mulligan the story you mentioned about the guy that tried to stop a robbery is a prime example. Depending on details he may or may not have been legal. But it's stupid, if they have your stuff and are leaving let them have it. Even if the older man was legal, he missed. In this state you are responsible for all damages caused by that miss. Take a bad guy out, the law protects you from any civil actions. But if folks don't do it legal bad, news for them. Off that soapbox forever.

A good buudy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. He's a former USMC, saw a guy sneaking down the hall and tackled him. Hit him a couple times, rolled him over, a 15 yo boy. Turned out he'd entered the wrong house, he was sneaking in to visit the neighbors 16 yo daughter. My buddies pretty big, he said that kid was shaking like a leaf, probably lost contol of his bladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Are there any DIY alarm systems that also record video? Seems you're unlikely to stop a theft, but it would seem good if you had pictures of the thieves after the fact. At least you'd know if it was the neighbor kids.
Most systems with ip cameras record video or email snapshots based on motion detection. Mine helped me nab this burglar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 4.14.57 PM.jpg (461.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #70

I have an alarm system that is not monitored. I do have stickers in the windows and the Alarm permit from my city on the long narrow window next to my front door. My neighbors 3 doors down had their house broken into last summer. The criminals parked in their driveway, broke the window next to the door and reached in and opened the dead bolt. They must have been in and out quickly because a workman showed up 45 minutes after my neighbor had left and found the front door wide open. That house is at the end of a long street so can be seen easily. I assume they were cased before the break in.

I had a second deadbolt installed after that, one that is keyed on both sides. I keep my keys in my pocket in case I need to go out the front door. I do set my alarm at night, but not during the day. I open the blinds in the front window and let my dogs watch (and bark at) everything that happens in the front of the house. I figure that would deter your average burglar.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A good buddy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. .........
A midnight trip to the bathroom didn't work out that well for Oscar Pistorius, either.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #72

I was thinking of getting this system that is not monitored. I don't want a monthly fee to add to our budget, as I'm just not sure of its value - especially after reading this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyone have thoughts on this or another system that might be better?

I will look for some kind of security sign to purchase for the yard, too.

My main purpose I want to achieve is being woken up should someone try to break in at night while we are sleeping. I'm not as concerned about daytime breakins because (1) we don't have valuable "stuff"
(2) we live in a townhouse development so I'm thinking these alarms would get someone's attention pretty fast.

The average police response time here is well over 20 minutes, unfortunately. So having 911 called doesn't help much with stopping a daytime burglary, which I have read typically is done and over within an average of 8 minutes.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Maybe Darwin for the person that set it, I'm not sure if it's a federal law or state. Every state I've read the laws on weapons there's very serious penelty(several class A felonies in this state) for that type of trap.

I engorge anyone that chooses to use deadly force to get training in your state laws and pratice, pratice, have a plan; your buying false security if you don't.

Mulligan the story you mentioned about the guy that tried to stop a robbery is a prime example. Depending on details he may or may not have been legal. But it's stupid, if they have your stuff and are leaving let them have it. Even if the older man was legal, he missed. In this state you are responsible for all damages caused by that miss. Take a bad guy out, the law protects you from any civil actions. But if folks don't do it legal bad, news for them. Off that soapbox forever.

A good buudy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. He's a former USMC, saw a guy sneaking down the hall and tackled him. Hit him a couple times, rolled him over, a 15 yo boy. Turned out he'd entered the wrong house, he was sneaking in to visit the neighbors 16 yo daughter. My buddies pretty big, he said that kid was shaking like a leaf, probably lost contol of his bladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I took a one day training with my gun as a precursor to getting my conceal and carry. The potential liabilities from it learned then has precluded me from any more serious thought at this point from having the permit. Improvising and reflex decision making could prove disastrous. However inside my home, I do have a plan......

Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I had a second deadbolt installed after that, one that is keyed on both sides. I keep my keys in my pocket in case I need to go out the front door.
I would encourage you to get in the habit of leaving the key in the lock when you're home. In case of fire in the night, people have been trapped with tragic results when that was the only way out.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

That's why gun owners have gun safes.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #76

A friend's "burglar alarm" is to keep non-functional but still good looking computer and electronics items in his carport. He figures that anyone who wants to steal will be distracted by these "easy pickings". They take them, he gets rid of them with no effort and no harm to the house - a win-win.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I was thinking of getting this system that is not monitored. I don't want a monthly fee to add to our budget, as I'm just not sure of its value - especially after reading this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

My main purpose I want to achieve is being woken up should someone try to break in at night while we are sleeping. I'm not as concerned about daytime breakins because (1) we don't have valuable "stuff"
(2) we live in a townhouse development so I'm thinking these alarms would get someone's attention pretty fast.

The average police response time here is well over 20 minutes, unfortunately. So having 911 called doesn't help much with stopping a daytime burglary, which I have read typically is done and over within an average of 8 minutes.

I have these things. This is exactly what I alluded to in my previous post. Something to scare away the "normal" hit and run burglars. They work good. Real loud. If you are inside you will know something's up and run out the back door, call 911, grab the shotgun, whatever your Plan is.

I am really only concerned about what happens when I'm HOME also. When I'm away... that's what I have insurance for. I don't own anything expensive that can't be replaced. It doesn't make sense to go too far beyond that. Like I mentioned before: The real Pro's will find a way in and rob you anyway. 99.9% of home break-ins are shlubbs looking for cash, drugs, guns, or something small they can carry and fence. After Alarm company Signs in the window and a local noise-maker system you've reached the point of diminishing returns as far as protection and expenses.

A word about Lawn and window signs: These are hard to come by. You don't want some generic sign that says "Protected by Metro Security" or "This Property has monitored alarm system". Burglars know these are fake. It's easy enough to check out online. No, or a phony phone number on the sign is also a give away. So, you'll have to try and get an ADT sign or a sticker from your local/regional alarm company which they won't just give away unless you buy something.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I have these things...... So, you'll have to try and get an ADT sign or a sticker from your local/regional alarm company which they won't just give away unless you buy something.
Shop le 'Bay.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Amazon.com: GE Personal Security Alarm Kit: Home Improvement

That system appears to be out of stock at Amazon. A really good system is SimliSafe which you can install and not have it monitored if you wish;

Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

There are others....
Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Shop le 'Bay.
Yes I know. I said they were not easy to come by (as in you just cant buy them at the store) but they are available.

I bought some ADT signs from a place on Amazon which sort of surprised me. Maybe ADT makes some side money under an assumed name just selling "dummy" signs...?