Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Yes I know. I said they were not easy to come by (as in you just cant buy them at the store) but they are available.

I bought some ADT signs from a place on Amazon which sort of surprised me. Maybe ADT makes some side money under an assumed name just selling "dummy" signs...?
ADT did evaluate our 1500 sq. ft. external garage, with our home. The garage too far away for our buget. They gave us an extra sign, IIRC the guy said they were 90%+ effective.

While I have expensive equipment down there, I don't care, like in your prior post that's what insurance is for. I'm only interested in our safety. We would wake up via alarm, and execute our plan. If we're away and the alarms going off we'd simply wait on the sheriff's office.

We've gone to several tactical defense courses. In every one the instructor's first point was "you're not LE, first get to safety, then call 911, let the professionals deal with the situation".

Mulligan you have the,100% correct thoughts, nobody will cheer you for being Rambo on the street. Protecting you and family at home(in legal limits) is the best and safest way to deal with issues, let the brave public service officials do the rest. Get descriptions, license plate information if possible, more important, stay safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I am home-Gun
When I am not home-I have nothing of value so do not care.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

An update. After having the alarm in for a while I ordered 3 more entry sensors, another water/flood sensor and a smoke detector to cover some 'gaps'. I also have received an alarm permit from the Sheriff. This system (not cheap) is worth every cent because of the peace of mind factor. I'll report back in a few months about how it is working out for those of you considering getting one.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

Out of curiosity, why are you more worried about your neighbor than burglars? Have you ever been attacked by a dog while it in a 'safe neighborhood'? I can tell you that I have and I spent 2 days in the hospital because of it. Had I been a 'crazy guy with a gun', that wouldn't have happened.

And is there a such thing as 100% safe neighborhood? No there is not. For me, carrying a weapon is the the same level of insurance as having a fire extinguisher or putting on my seatbelt.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you more worried about your neighbor than burglars? Have you ever been attacked by a dog while it in a 'safe neighborhood'? I can tell you that I have and I spent 2 days in the hospital because of it. Had I been a 'crazy guy with a gun', that wouldn't have happened.
Walking a dog around a safe neighborhood with a 44 strapped to your waist isn’t normal behavior in any place I’ve lived. Not sure what his motives are because he doesn't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. If I was worried about other dogs while out walking I would think pepper spray would be effective, it’s what I use when hiking in bear country.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Walking a dog around a safe neighborhood with a 44 strapped to your waist isn’t normal behavior in any place I’ve lived. Not sure what his motives are because he doesn't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. If I was worried about other dogs while out walking I would think pepper spray would be effective, it’s what I use when hiking in bear country.
Zinger your profile says you're in AZ. If that's true I'd find it unusual if he didn't open carry. From what I've seen it's a norm in some areas of the state, maybe he's dressed that way for years. IMHO don't worry about the open carry people, it's a look or feeling they want. I realize it's different than some feel comfortable with.

If a person has ill intent, it's stupid, most folk notice/remember the guy with a .44 strapped on. From a self defense stratagy most experts agree, it's stupid too. You give up an important advantage, the element of surprise. Best wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Zinger your profile says you're in AZ. If that's true I'd find it unusual if he didn't open carry. From what I've seen it's a norm in some areas of the state, maybe he's dressed that way for years. IMHO don't worry about the open carry people, it's a look or feeling they want. I realize it's different than some feel comfortable with.

If a person has ill intent, it's stupid, most folk notice/remember the guy with a .44 strapped on. From a self defense stratagy most experts agree, it's stupid too. You give up an important advantage, the element of surprise. Best wishes.
The open carry ' losing your advantage' is a myth. I have been waiting for a true story of where an OC person was taken out simply because he/she was carrying. I can show you a local story here where a group of robbers decided robbing a Waffle House might be a bad idea when they saw some patrons OC'ing and left instead.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #88
Administrator

The original thread topic is burglar alarms. Still lots to discuss there, so let's try to keep the thread on topic.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't hear the door open or close, so I thought I'd see if I could find some sort of annuncator. DW turned down the cowbell option. The cheapest one that didn't need drilling holes and running wires was part of a burglar alarm system.

We installed a simple wireless setup, with the magnetic switches on doors and windows, and a simple off the shelf controller all from the big-box hardware store. The controller has modes for being a door annunciator, or an 'at home' or 'away' mode burglar alarm.

It works very well. Every two years I hit Amazon for a bunch of the little batteries for the sensors. The controller uses AC power with battery backup.

There are a huge number of accessories for these things, from noisemakers to panic buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote